Horror book vs Horror movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Iamabookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Horror book vs Horror movie

Post by Iamabookworm »

I am in love with both. They are better when you read the book and watch the movie it shows you something’s you might not have understood in one or the other.
Mylifehayat
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Mylifehayat »

yyyyyyyyes , i love horror movies its what i prefer a lot . like the saw , final destination , jeeper kreeper.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

Horror book. Horror movies are scary and there are too many jumpscares. No thank you.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
cosmographist69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cosmographist69.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by cosmographist69 »

I think the best horror books remain unto themselves and it is an art form long since lost in translating them into film form. For instance: Dracula. One cannot recapture the horror. In my time gore films and old zombie movies have been the most faithful. We live in an already quite horrific society and these movies help put a lens on the day to day inhumanities that we all ignore in favor of political correctness. Good modern horror movies are the embodiment of all the topics that don't make the dinner table.
joey_504

Post by joey_504 »

Horror Books and Horror Films are basically but almost the same thing is just that horror books gives you the chills and imagine what script of the book that you're reading. Horror films are a lot more interesting to watch for the fact that you will be able to jump out of your seat with a fast heartbeat and a big short scream . as well the creepy things you hear or read about in the story or film, it is the art of Horror which is more than a topic knowing that horror happens everywhere on Earth
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Take the Shining as an example. Great book and great film. The one thing that many horror film adaptations do is rely on too many jumpscares or gore to tell their story; both visceral reactions that books are often unable to replicate. But the Shining film took a different approach; it didn't condescend to it's audience and told a very scary story that was very 'book-like' (even though it deviated from its source material).
Ndifrekedem
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Ndifrekedem »

Horror movies. Though the book will give you mental imagery of the stuffs happening. But movies shows you everything.
whoisaida

Post by whoisaida »

Depends.

But i prefer to read books.

Because authors seems to get to play with my emotions and adrenaline well compared to the producer.

(;
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

Love both equally.

Dark and stormy night? Cue me curled up under a blanket with the scariest book I can find.

No one I know will watch horror movies with me so I have to get my brave on and sit through those babies all by myself, but I love it.

Reading horror and watching horror are two of my favourite pastimes, I don't think I could choose between them.
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

I have a hard time focusing for long periods of time, especially on very detailed descriptions, so horror books don't really have the same effect on me as horror movies. Some movies don't do justice to the book though, so that's one downside to preferring that.
hllrytnchn

Post by hllrytnchn »

i prefer a horror book more because it bends the mind the way we ought to see it, it feels like reading a bedtime story somehow more effective than a movie who already had scenes and characters imposed. Although it is not entirely bad, it's like the movie fuels our imagination for the book that we read
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Horror books are more psychologically scary and usually are comprised of more suspense and dread. Horror movies give me more of a physical scare, like an adrenaline rush. Best is the movies that build a lot of suspense and have that slow climb
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

Books - Dean Koontz, King etc are masters and your own imagination is still scarier than any movie.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Book all the way! Horror movies tend to just make me laugh at how bad they are. The books, if done well, immerse me in the setting so I can get the creep factor that movies aim for without all the corniness that ruins it for me. Thought must admit, some of the movies do have better endings. I love Koontz, but he's yet to end a story satisfactorily for me. It's always amazing, then the last 40 pages or so just don't quite fit. Movies generally at least end well, even if they never give me the promised scare.
Faarin

Post by Faarin »

Horror movie scares me a lot, I can’t even get through the first part,it’s not cuz of the characters, But the action like needle in the eyes and all..So I prefer horror books better

Return to “Films and Books”