Horror book vs Horror movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
cassibear13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Horror book vs Horror movie

Post by cassibear13 »

I have to agree watching a horror movie can add something extra to the terror of the story, I think that it depends on the book and movie at the same time. I mean if you look at Jaws the movie was seen as very scary when it first came out and the book wasn't seen as scary by many people, so in that case the movie was more horror inspiring. It really depends on how the book is written, many Steven King novels are seen as scarier than the movie due to his writing and ability to add the suspense and boost of horror that a movie can add through music and visual effects.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Kie2418 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 13:17 It depends on what kind of horror, because if it’s like serial killer then most likely I’m going to read the book, but if it’s paranormal I’m most likely going to watch the movie.
Agreed. Serial killer stories are so much better conveyed in books. Paranormal movies are so SO good to watch.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

cassibear13 wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 01:40 I have to agree watching a horror movie can add something extra to the terror of the story, I think that it depends on the book and movie at the same time. I mean if you look at Jaws the movie was seen as very scary when it first came out and the book wasn't seen as scary by many people, so in that case the movie was more horror inspiring. It really depends on how the book is written, many Steven King novels are seen as scarier than the movie due to his writing and ability to add the suspense and boost of horror that a movie can add through music and visual effects.
I agree. Jaws scared me so badly as a child, I refused to swim for three consecutive Summers after watching it.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I think watching a horror movie keeps me thrilled till the end. Horror books are also amazing but I think what you can watch is not what you can imagine (when it comes to horror, especially the appearance of ghosts). :eusa-think:
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I prefer horror books because I get too scared when I watch horror movies. I can at least read a book in its entirety, unlike a movie, where I basically cover my eyes the whole time. I just get so anxious when a scene drags on and start expecting a jump scare at every turn.
AndreaCruz

Post by AndreaCruz »

I will go with books if your are talking about psychological horror, they have to much bone to bite and lets be honest the movies fail to translate the inside background of the psychological terror, one example is the IT-spider of the first adaptation of IT, but how can you translate to the visual media, a creature with no define material form, that is the embodiment of evil and fear?, there is a reason that IT does not have a real name and mostly attacked children.
But on the other hand without horror movies we won't have the jump scares, amassing soundtracks, and icons like Freddy Krueger or the visuals of a zombie attack.
Hitman7245

Post by Hitman7245 »

I like both but I prefer books. Books allows your own imagination and it can be as horrifying as hell or anything but it surely contains enough horrors. So, Books for me.
Nathan Berner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-berner.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nathan Berner »

I feel like the effects in horror movies signal subconscious responses that make it seem a lot scarier, at least for me. I honestly would not be willing to watch a horror movie, but a horror book maybe.
Mrs-a-ellsworth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Mrs-a-ellsworth »

I prefer horror books to movies, and I readily admit that is because I am a scaredy-cat. Without the music, unsettling camera angles and jump scares- I can enjoy the actual suspense. When people who know me well find out that I often read horror or suspense books, they are surprised. I never watch the horror genre, or any movie adaptations of horror books.
Blu1983
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Blu1983 »

I am not a fan of horrors, as such i am mit not interested jn reading the book or looking at television.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I'd prefer horror books because I can use my own imagination to help build up the atmosphere. For movies, it is usually about the jumpscares and the cinematography filled with gore and blood.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I prefer reading over watching horror. The most important part is definitely details but also, a lot of movies overdo the sound effects part for no reason and I find it extremely annoying.
My faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life
- RM :tiphat:
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

I enjoyed both but I prefer books over movies because books explain much better details about creepy stuff and more suspense when you're picturing it in your mind. Movies only add scary sound effects and jumps cares to make the movie look scary but the plots are a mess so it was kind of disappointing.
sschatzberg
Favorite Book: Before the Storm
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by sschatzberg »

I like both. Movies have such cool effects and music that will chill you. Books do, however, give more to the imagination. Movies hand you scenes, books illustrate them. My favorite horror movie and book is the Original Stephen King's It. The movie remake is fine, but its more of a comedy with the dancing clown bits than a horror movie.
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

I feel that the book tends to use the resources at hand (good writting) in a better way than the movies do (using images and music). Because of this, I'd rather have the book version.

Return to “Films and Books”