TV shows based on books compared to movies based on books?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: TV shows based on books compared to movies based on book

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I think that for the most part TV adaptations can be better than movie adaptations because they can take their time and include a lot of the details movies leave out because of time, but that book readers look for when watching.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I love series based on books! I'm watching Handmaid's Tale right now and they've done an excellent job so far!
Thirielle
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thirielle.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Thirielle »

Whats the difference? Hmm. I can say that I like more how the flow of the story goes while reading it in a book than watching that same story in a movie. I didn't say that the movie isnt good but there are things in a book that most of the time cannot express or shown in the movie.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Mind you, sometimes a book is expanded into a movie (or movies) that really don't need to be that long - The Hobbit springs to mind!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by aliceriddle »

As long as it's a good book, I don't mind either.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I have yet to see a good movie that was made after a book. I always end up disappointed. From Tv series I liked what they did with The Handmaids Tale.
sharklet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sharklet »

I agree that a TV series works better for adapting books in many ways, as it allows for far more gradual character development, plot twists, action scenes etc.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

AliceofX wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 08:25 I think TV shows are a better format for book adaptations than movies. There's just so much more you can do in 10 hours rather than just 2. Also, watching a TV show is more like actually reading a book because unless it's very short you don't finish it in one sitting.
I completely agree with your points here. There are only a few instances that I think are just fine as movie versions - like the Princess Bride. Otherwise, I get way more excited with a book is converted to a TV show or mini-series.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

uyky wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 06:42 I have yet to see a good movie that was made after a book. I always end up disappointed. From Tv series I liked what they did with The Handmaids Tale.
Have you seen the Princess Bride? Have you seen The Prestige? I think you'd be surprised how many movies come from books.
uyky

Post by uyky »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 22:10
uyky wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 06:42 I have yet to see a good movie that was made after a book. I always end up disappointed. From Tv series I liked what they did with The Handmaids Tale.
Have you seen the Princess Bride? Have you seen The Prestige? I think you'd be surprised how many movies come from books.
I have seen both of the movies, but never read the books, so I can't compare. The Princess Bride is on my list, but I didn't like The Prestige movie.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

It can be more irksome to watch a TV adaptation than a film adaptation because it just keeps going - there are way more episodes in which they can butcher the story and change so many details :p

However, Outlander is fantastic even if both Jamie and Claire do not truly fit the book's description of them. ASOUE is amazing and better adapted to TV because of changed details. Love both of these shows and the books behind them.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Lopermann88
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Lopermann88 »

I think the best example of Book to Movie adaptation I’ve seen is “No Country for Old Men”. Though both offer something uniquely impressive in terms of conveying the story and the emotion behind the story, they are also both exceptional works. I’ve seen 10 minute long YouTube videos breaking down certain scenes from the movie (where the scene was no more than 3 or four minutes), and the amount of nuance is astounding. I think the directors were big fans of the McCarthy book, and wanted to do the story justice, and, at least for me, they succeeded in doing just that.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

uyky wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 05:22
I have seen both of the movies, but never read the books, so I can't compare. The Princess Bride is on my list, but I didn't like The Prestige movie.
That's fair. May I ask what you didnt like about The Prestige?
uyky

Post by uyky »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 17:25
uyky wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 05:22

That's fair. May I ask what you didnt like about The Prestige?
I'm sorry, but I can't remember. I've seen it a long time ago and just remember that didn't like it.

Return to “Films and Books”