Age Inconsistency in Casting

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Age Inconsistency in Casting

Post by khusnick »

What do you think of casting adults for teenage roles in movies? Does it matter more when you have book descriptions of a 16-year-old that is then casted as a 23-year-old actress/actor for the movie adaptation?

The Hunger Games was an example that made me mad. Any opinions on this?
AuthoressWenona
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AuthoressWenona »

khusnick wrote:What do you think of casting adults for teenage roles in movies? Does it matter more when you have book descriptions of a 16-year-old that is then casted as a 23-year-old actress/actor for the movie adaptation?

I'm not sure.

There just aren't the arent that many acting jobs for teens. Hence, why adults have to play them
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

But that's the thing, if they opened roles that were meant for teenagers strictly to teenagers, there would be acting jobs for teens. You wouldn't cast a middle aged man to play someone's great grandfather. Why would you cast someone in their mid-20's to play someone 10 years younger?
Diah
Currently Reading: One Night for Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B01M0JCU9B

Post by Diah »

Some actors or actresses look younger or older, so I am not sure. Maybe for some industries, movies only a business.. they just cast the box office one. So again, I am not very sure... art or business???
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I dont mind as long as I cant tell that its a super aged actor. In general, I find children actors to be worse actors, so they're less pleasant to watch and a bit more cringey, honestly, too. Of course, there's some decent ones too, but I dislike most that I've seen.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
furybeginner
Currently Reading: Needful Things
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-furybeginner.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by furybeginner »

Sometimes it's not about the casting or the actors. I have heard that film producers do change some of the characters' age to be older, allowing them to cast someone who is actually older. (Although, they have to specify that they made some age changes in the adaptation, or the audience will be left dissatisfied.)

Personally, I don't remember caring so much about it. I usually pay more attention to the acting. As long as they do a good job, I'm satisfied.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The age inconsistency is too wide for films. Like percy Jackson movies.

-- 04 Jul 2017, 00:22 --

They actually to change the prophecy from sixteenah birthday to twentieth birthday.

-- 04 Jul 2017, 00:23 --

That actually did not destroy the story, it was the many cut scenes from the book.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I agree. I believe that the ages should match the book. The best example in my case was in The Freedom Writers. These kids were supposed to go from freshman to sophomores and they looked more like college students. They should have casted lower. I just think they wanted Mario to be in the movie so badly, they didn't care.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Game of thrones is another example. There was no way that Jon Snow was a teenager.or even the whole stark family
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Storygamer88 wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 12:00 I dont mind as long as I cant tell that its a super aged actor. In general, I find children actors to be worse actors, so they're less pleasant to watch and a bit more cringey, honestly, too. Of course, there's some decent ones too, but I dislike most that I've seen.
I totally agree. Sometimes, they mess up the roles and leave the audience mad.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Some actors are versatile in their looks. For as long as they do not appear over-aged, I think it is okay.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I think sometimes the child labor laws preclude a child from being hired or makes casting more difficult. Identical multiples are usually used in TV shows for babies or really young children so if one child is too tired/been in several scenes, they can be switched out. The Harry Potter franchise had to be very careful with this since almost everyone was very young when they started and they could only work so many hours so too many retakes could really throw off the schedule. I think only Tom Felton was older than his character, 14 versus 11 in the beginning.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

khusnick wrote: 17 Jun 2017, 19:44 What do you think of casting adults for teenage roles in movies? Does it matter more when you have book descriptions of a 16-year-old that is then casted as a 23-year-old actress/actor for the movie adaptation?

I have both read the book (Hunger Games) and seen the movies and frankly I thought Lawrence did a great job with the role. She and the other "tributes" which were chosen between the ages of 12 and 18 fit the roles pretty well I thought. The idea of Lawrence being older in real life than the character she was representing never entered my mind as I was watching the movies and honestly I have never even thought about it till I read this post.

A more dramatic example might be Ender's Game. In the book Ender was a 6 year old prodigy, but in the movie the actor was about 13. This was a far more obvious departure from the book.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Try watching a war movie from the 50s/60s. When most of our service members are 18 and 19-year olds, in the movies, the armed forces are usually made up of 30 and 40-year olds.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

nikkyteewhy wrote: 12 May 2018, 06:48 Game of thrones is another example. There was no way that Jon Snow was a teenager.or even the whole stark family
I agree. I started watching the show before I started the books, and it was really weird reading about Jon Snow being a 14 year old when Kit Harrington is obviously much older.

Return to “Films and Books”