Dear John Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Dear John Movie

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

I completed reading this book a few weeks ago, and it was an okay book. I wanted to watch the movie, just to watch it, and it really pissed me off... like really pissed me off..

The thing that really pissed me off about the movie was that they made Tom the father of his brother? What was the point in that? I couldn't bring myself to finish the movie because of that fact. The acting was just horrible, too. They didn't even explain John's childhood, and why he had such a bad relationship with his father.
baley
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2633">The Boy who Lived with Ghosts</a>
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by baley »

Great in life there must be poor relationship with people but a way to solve the impendment is way better rather than holding to the bad portion
Lidia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lidia »

It's the reason why you need to see film first and then you can read a book ) Because book will naturally continue a film and fix some generalisations. In other case you would be very, very angry in 95% cases.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

A friend of mine gave me the movie to watch but also could not complete watching it. I did not like its story as it was not well written.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I didn't care for the movie either. I don't like that every time Savannah talks to John, it's like he's a delicate baby. And I didn't like how they missed the most important message in the book. That Tim always loved Savannah and let her go because she was happy with John. Then Savannah married Tim and John felt he needed to let Savannah go to be with Tim. The movie made it seem like she only married Tim out of pity. Even though Savannah still loved John, she loved Tim too. It's like she wished she could be with both. The movie didn't make that clear the sacrifice that John made. To have it be where they end up together again made no sense to the message of the story as to how hard it is to be in a relationship and be in the army.
peorth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peorth »

I liked both the book and the movie. I thought that the actors casted had great chemistry. Made me cry both times too. But I really don't like the ending.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

The book was definitely better and more heart-wrenching. But the movie did have one thing going for it, and it’s name is Channing Tatum. I probably wouldn’t have bothered with it otherwise.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

peorth wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 01:14 I liked both the book and the movie. I thought that the actors casted had great chemistry. Made me cry both times too. But I really don't like the ending.
I agree entirely. The ending was disappointing.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I only saw the movie and it didn't make any sense. Sometimes the scripts ruin the story from the books. That's why not everything can be made into a movie.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Read the book, cant make myself watch the movie
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?

Return to “Films and Books”