Who waits to finish the book before going to see the film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Who waits to finish the book before going to see the film?

Post by Jeyran Main »

How many of you stay away from watching a film adapted from a movie, only to finish reading the book first?
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I always try and finish the book first before seeing a movie. I like to already have a feeling for the characters before sitting down to watch the adaption. It also gives you a small feeling of superiority I feel
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I often start to read books just because the film's trailer looked cool. 95% of the time the book will be better than the movie, so why settle for the lesser version.
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Nina Butler »

I try to read the book first if there is one. I love to see the comparison with the story line. I know that most movies don't have as much impact as the book, but you have to think about what the screenwriter has to do. They have to take 300 pages or more and squeeze it into a 120 min movie, which is 120 pages of a script. If you make it too long, it gets boring, and the viewer will stop watching. So yes, I read the book first and try and see where the screenwriter was trying to go with the story.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Nina Butler wrote:They have to take 300 pages or more and squeeze it into a 120 min movie, which is 120 pages of a script.
That's why I think TV series are a much better medium for book adaptations. With 10-12 hours instead of 2 there's just so much more time to truly explore the story.
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Nina Butler »

-- May 30th, 2017, 11:36 am --
AliceofX wrote:
Nina Butler wrote:They have to take 300 pages or more and squeeze it into a 120 min movie, which is 120 pages of a script.
That's why I think TV series are a much better medium for book adaptations. With 10-12 hours instead of 2 there's just so much more time to truly explore the story.

I completely agree. You have time to develop the characters fully and the story doesn't lose its impact near as much.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I agree with movies being to short a time to adapt a book properly and TV being a better medium. I also like to read the book first if I can before watching the movie. Books are just so good at telling a story richly and movies will always have their limitations.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I always try to read the book first. However, if the book is far down in my TBR pile then I will just go see the movie. However, if I am in the process of reading the book then I will wait until I finish reading before I see the movie. My book club often chooses books that are adapted to film so we can read the book first then watch the movie together!
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I always try to finish the book first before seeing the movie so that I can compare the two. Most of the time the book is better than the movie, but there have been times when the movie is just as good as the novel. I finished the book The Help and a couple months later the movie came out and it was very good.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
emberwood
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emberwood.html

Post by emberwood »

I feel like it really depends on the book/movie in question. If I've heard the book when I notice that it's coming out in theaters, then I will usually read the book first. However, if I've never heard of the book, I will watch the trailer to see if I want to read it first. Most of the time, if I want to see the movie, I will take time to read the book beforehand. It kind of irritates me when I go to a movie and then I see the book sitting on the shelves at B&N after I've already seen the movie.
HazelTevonaRates
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by HazelTevonaRates »

I wait to finish the book before watching the movie. I like to point out both major and minor differences.
Joanna82
Currently Reading: The Spy
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Joanna82 »

Definitely. I finish the book before watching the movie. I like getting the full story first, not the edited movie version.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I also like to read first, as the movie can't capture anything. Also, if the cast or production is lacking, it can result in a very bad movie so I would think the book is bad as well. Another reason why it is better to read first is because you can imagine what the characters are like, as well as how they look. Once you watch the movie, you won't really be able to think of different characters when reading.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Hmm. I think I usually like books more than movies, so I read the book first, and then if I like it, I may check out the movie if its reviews are good. Some adaptations are bad though or have a low Rotten Tomato score, so I steer clear of those though.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Josephgredoo
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Josephgredoo »

I like reading the book before going for the movie part of it

Return to “Films and Books”