Don't you think a book deserves its own movie?!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
ayomide7
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomide7.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Don't you think a book deserves its own movie?!

Post by ayomide7 »

Tell me such a book mine is Acheron by Sherilyn Kenyon!
eeeek fangirling!! :mrgreen2: :lol: :roll:

PS: which celebrity do you think would play the main characters part.

:oops2:
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Cecaniah
Currently Reading: Writing for Children and Teens
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecaniah.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cecaniah »

There are books which deserve to have a movie version. Thus, the movie should really depict and show what the book is all about, not just a summary.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Not really. Movies tell the story in a visual way leaving out the internal thought process. Movies cannot show what a character is thinking only the end results in his actions, body language, or words. Books allow us to hear and see the characters externally and internally. This being said, I do love a good adaptation of a book into a movie but I know it is only that.. an "adaptation". It isn't the book. It is the directors and writers and producers vision of the book. To much is lost in translation but also so much is gained in the visual artistry of the books thoughts.
So in short yes and no to the question.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

Movies are mainly summaries of books, and tends to highlight the themes of the book. So if every book can have a movie version, it would be really nice. One disadvantage being that it could discourage one from reading.
starry118
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by starry118 »

If done well, a movie can actually spark interest in the source material, so my answer is "yes," if the movie is going to be given proper treatment.
Dee71
Currently Reading: Lovecraft Country
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Dee71 »

BookishBookkeeping wrote: 18 May 2017, 12:31 Not really. Movies tell the story in a visual way leaving out the internal thought process. Movies cannot show what a character is thinking only the end results in his actions, body language, or words. Books allow us to hear and see the characters externally and internally. This being said, I do love a good adaptation of a book into a movie but I know it is only that.. an "adaptation". It isn't the book. It is the directors and writers and producers vision of the book. To much is lost in translation but also so much is gained in the visual artistry of the books thoughts.
So in short yes and no to the question.
I agree! Some books just don't translate well onto screen, and a lot of factors can play into that. The source material, the writer, the director, casting, budget, etc. And I think really good adaptations of books are helmed by people who have a clear vision of what they're doing. Sometimes that just comes down to translating the feel and essence of the book into a moving picture backed with music and visuals and the like.

Certain crafts properly and rightly exist in their intended medium. But that doesn't mean a careful, thoughtful, and creative eye can't carry them over into another.

See my The Shape of Water! post for more discussion! If any of you have see the film and/or read the book. :D
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

I read a book on the other website for free and the plot and characters were so beautifully written that I thought it should be a movie. The words were simple but effective.
-R
laquenciag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by laquenciag »

ayomide7 wrote: 17 May 2017, 17:46 Tell me such a book mine is Acheron by Sherilyn Kenyon!
eeeek fangirling!! :mrgreen2: :lol: :roll:

PS: which celebrity do you think would play the main characters part.

:oops2:

I pick Chris and Liam Hemsworth for Acheron and StyXX..OMG I love those twins...so different but so similar. LMK if the movie ever comes out!!😊
Joy -1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joy -1 »

Not all books really deserve to have a movie but other books can create really awesome movies also making a movie for a book makes it more realistic and fun
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Yes, they deserve their own movies. It might take a while to achieve this but it should happen!
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I book does deserve a movie to portray it's magnificence as long as the book deserves it.

Return to “Films and Books”