Do you like Christian Grey in the movie? or in the book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Do you like Christian Grey in the movie? or in the book?

Post by HailKingEbi »

he's so much better in the book. the film was a let down compared to the book.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
lildallface
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lildallface »

I'm just getting started on the first book but I grew to like his character in the movie. Obviously he had to seem rich, he nailed that. I liked his dom personality but at first I thought he was a little skinny to seem so dominant. I think he played the part very well though.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I absolutely loved Christian Grey in the books, though was disappointed in “Grey” written from his perspective. I thought Jamie Dorman did a great job emulating the sexy broodiness in the movies but thought the movies didn’t quite capture the witty text/email exchanges between Anna and Christian which were my favorite part
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
srlawso259

Post by srlawso259 »

The books were definitely better at capturing the essence of Christian. There were just too many important moments left out in the movie to show the depth of what made Christian who he is and the books were so well done that it truly brought the book to life.
Ari C

Post by Ari C »

I prefer the book.... It made his character even more interesting and exciting
The movie couldn't convey the depth of his mental battles and growth as he evolved to maintain his relationship with Ana
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I did not read the books or see the movie on-screen, so I only have the television Christian Grey to go by. I am sure a lot was lost in not seeing the actual movie. The character seems so removed and distant in the tv version, but I am guessing that was part his personality.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I don't like the movie Christian grey. I think the one in the book is hotter and more romantic than the one in the film.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I find the character in general ver pay shallow and immature. I really struggled to be attracted to this character whatsoever, to be honest.
Genexis

Post by Genexis »

I read the books before I watch the movies. Honestly I was disappointed. When I read the books I could feel all the emotions. Especially in book 2 when Christian kneeled down in front of Ana and become the submissive. I read that part 4-5 times and crying my eyes out. I just didn't feel that emotion in the movie. It was blank. I really liked the books better
annamae01

Post by annamae01 »

I prefer Christian Grey in the book. He’s hotter and more realistic in the book than in the movie but Jamie Dornan did his best to be Christian Grey.
JELombardo
Favorite Book: Gringo
Currently Reading: Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and The Murder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelombardo.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by JELombardo »

Definitely Christian Grey in the book. His portrayal in the movie came off much less hot than in the book!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kirstylouise1315

Post by kirstylouise1315 »

I love the books, I have read them over and over again. My partner took me to see the films when each one came out in the cinema, and yes Jamie Dornan is yummy but nothing near what I expected. The books are a lot better than the films.
Black and white Christian Grey beats Jamie Dornan any day. :D
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

He is a creepy pervert in both. Never understood what the hoopla about this guy or franchise was all about.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

he is a creepy pervert in both film and the book. The popularity of the series is a big surprise to me!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

:)) All I can see, while watching the movies, is the sheriff from Once Upon a Time. That being said, I like neither. The character itself is a psychopath and their entire dynamic consists of an abusive relationship. I find him to be slightly misogynistic also.

Return to “Films and Books”