Something Borrowed - Book Or Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
milyjohnson
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Something Borrowed - Book Or Movie

Post by milyjohnson »

I'm not sure if this was posted before and if it was, I'm sorry to post it again. I saw the movie Something Borrowed and then I read the book. I wasn't sure there was a book until after I saw the movie. LOL! Once I saw the movie I wanted to read it. I liked both of them. If I had to choose between them, I would chose the book. If you have read the book and seen the movie, which one did you prefer?
EspressoChick
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EspressoChick »

I have to admit that I preferred the book. But I also enjoyed the movie, as you did!

I think it is hard for screenwriters to put everything that is in a book, into a movie script in exactly the same way it is done for a book that people read vs. a movie that people watch.

The title Something Borrowed, I thought it was very catchy and original, that's why I picked up the book and I'm glad I read it! Great author! :)
milyjohnson
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by milyjohnson »

I agree with you. It would be hard for the screenwriters to be as detailed as an author. I never seen a movie about a friendship being tested that way so I wanted to see it. I enjoyed it so I wanted to read the book. I have a couple of her books and I definitely want to read them. I hope they are as good as Something Borrowed.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

That is a really hard one. I happened to have just stumbled across the book in the library - when I used to go there 9 years ago and read both Something Borrowed and Something Blue. I could not put the two books down. Then the movie came out shortly after. My sister wanted to watch it. They did a very good job following the book, except I was a little disappointed with the way it ended til I remembered there was a second book. I never knew if they even made a second movie.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I was given "Something Borrowed" & "Something Blue" by a friend who is a big fan of chick lit. This is not my particular genre of choice, but I read them on her recommendation. "Something Borrowed" was ok...I had a difficult time finding the characters likeable. Girl has affair with best friend's fiancé? And we're supposed to root for them as a couple? It was just hard for me not to think they were both scum. I did end up watching the movie, more out of curiosity and because I liked some of the cast. I left feeling the movie was marginally better than the book (which is not common), but still didn't care for it. However, after having seen it multiple times since (it's on TV all the time!), I find it entertaining. Will watch again, but will not re-read the books.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Well now I have to read the book. I really liked the movie and I love it when you can have a note detailed experience through a book.

From what I've seen said it may be similar to how PS I Love You was both a good book and movie. I look forward to comparing them.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

EspressoChick wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 12:45 I have to admit that I preferred the book. But I also enjoyed the movie, as you did!

I think it is hard for screenwriters to put everything that is in a book, into a movie script in exactly the same way it is done for a book that people read vs. a movie that people watch.

The title Something Borrowed, I thought it was very catchy and original, that's why I picked up the book and I'm glad I read it! Great author! :)

I watched the movie first before I discovered that there's a book and then I've read it. I enjoyed them both and I can't decide which I prefer better.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Today I learned Something Borrowed got turned into a movie. I read this book before there was a sequel, I think I was in high school still. I'm, going to reread this book and Something Blue so I can watch the movie now!
claire_tu22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by claire_tu22 »

I saw the trailer from youtube, and watched it. Reminds me of the story I've read when I was in highschool. It's called Sharing Sam.

Return to “Films and Books”