Stephen King "It" and it's movie adaptions

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Re: Stephen King "It" and it's movie adaptions

Post by TaaraLynn »

micoleon13 wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 18:44 You definitely should read the book. A lot is left out in the movie and the book is much scarier!
Exactly why I always opt for the book first. But then, I usually don't watch the movie adaptations because I don't want my expectations trampled on. :|
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
romance fan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by romance fan »

I remember watching the original it movie when I was little and I became scared of clowns because of it with a few exceptions but now with the new adaption with bill skarsgard playing pennywise I'm really liking the new version of the character. But still to this day I cant look at any other clown without flinching or tearing up.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I can't watch any of the new IT movies. I am still traumatized from seeing IT when I was a kid. And I hate clowns now because of it lol
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Christina O Phillips wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 18:06 When I first heard it was being remade, I rolled my eyes and again wondered why Hollywood struggles to come up with original movies and is instead in the slump of needless remakes. But the combination of Stephen King saying it's good and the trailer which makes it look good, too, has me more interested. Though I've never read the book. Maybe I should.
Of course Steven King will say it's good...he has to make money! :D
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I have not read the book but the movie was well-made. I was only terrified in fe scenes but overall it does not make me afraid of clowns.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Lorixann
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorixann.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lorixann »

Hmm. I may have to pick up the novel and give it a read based on some of these opinions.
I personally wasn't a fan of the movie (the 2017 remake - I haven't seen the original). I didn't find it scary - which was surprising considering I'm not exactly a fan of clowns and I frighten easily compared to most.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Stephen King's book" It " terrified me, it was one of the scariest things that I had read. Both movies fall way short of how the book made me feel. It plays on childhood fears and being invisible to adults unless you are doing something wrong. That coupled with each of their particular problems. Adults open your eyes sometimes there are monsters and in Stephen King's word sometimes we create monsters to deal with the real ones.!!!!!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

I loved the books so much, and the latest movie adaptation is pretty good as well. Not perfectly adapted, but good enough!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I don't usually watch horror movies, but I look forward to the 2nd installment of this "It." Bill Skarsgard did an amazing job bringing Pennywise to life, in my opinion. I was thoroughly scared of him the whole movie, and I anticipate much of the same for the next one! I did watch the original, with Tim Curry playing Pennywise the Clown, and while it is scary, I think the newest one is much better.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

When I watched the first adaptation, I got pretty dissapointed really, not al half as scary as the book, and they left out some of the crucial stuff that was going on and that marked the characters forever.

The first part of this remake was actually good, not entirely true to the book, but I think it was close enough, I understand that maybe it would be too much if they included EVERYTHING into the movie, it would be too controversial, even in 2019. I can't wait to see what they've done in the second part. That's another thing that I guess was good for the adaptation, dividing the story in two parts, the book is too long to compress it in one movie only. I also think it's interesting how they managed to just focus on the kids on the first one and I guess they will focus on the adult life on the second with some memories of their childhood, given that in the book you go back and forth between the children and the adults.

I hope I didn't bore you with my long paragraph, I'm just a big fan of Stephen King's work :D
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I really enjoyed the movie, as an adaptation is was far from perfect but interesting still. So I'm looking forward to the second part!
tanchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanchett.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by tanchett »

I'm also really looking forward to Chapter 2 - especially after the teaser trailer that was released recently.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

A little long, but I liked the movies. Child cast did a really good job at portraying the characters in the novel.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

magnoparisi wrote: 22 May 2019, 18:03 A little long, but I liked the movies. Child cast did a really good job at portraying the characters in the novel.
Agreed! The cast was amazing and most were very well selected!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I haven’t read the book or watched any of the new instalments of the movies but I have heard good things! I saw the original movie though and it definitely gave me a clown phobia.

Return to “Films and Books”