Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why Netflix Series

Post by Chitopogi »

I only have IFlix, no Netflix. So I haven't watched it yet. But with all your favorable comments, I might try getting a Netflix account...
Misphantom
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misphantom.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Misphantom »

At last! A film/tv adaptation that actually follows the books! The casting was good and the acting is excellent. It's good as an adaptation but I think it's too long, like there were some stuff that aren't important and can be removed. I actually watched TRW in 2x speed because the pacing was too slow. I liked the book better than the tv series.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Jennifer Santos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jennifer Santos »

First of all, the book disappointed me. The cover, the plot, and the characters were exciting. I was very thrilled to finish the book. And when I finished it, I was like: What now. And then I saw the netflix trailer and it was really great. Suspense. But I guess I didn't liked the story line so I wouldn't bother watching it too.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Jennifer Santos wrote:First of all, the book disappointed me. The cover, the plot, and the characters were exciting. I was very thrilled to finish the book. And when I finished it, I was like: What now. And then I saw the netflix trailer and it was really great. Suspense. But I guess I didn't liked the story line so I wouldn't bother watching it too.
I definitely agreed that the book just ended in an unsatisfactory way. I felt there was no true closure to the storyline and that bothered me a little bit. The series has suspense and it looks like there may actually be a proper ending. I'm excited for the next season!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I read the book and watched the series. I think they did a good job making it into a show. I am glad they showed the despair that Hannah felt and the terror of sexual assault. It is something that needs to be talked about so we can start making a difference.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I read the book a few years ago, and the release of the Netflix series re-sparked my interest in the story. I binged the series and immediately re-read the book. The differences between the novel and television adaptation are astronomical, yet still seems true to the characters and their journeys.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Kreaushikrin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kreaushikrin »

Thirteen reasons why was a blast. I could not stop watching it...i haven't read the book though. The characters were awesome, the suspense was unbearable. I am just waiting for the season two.
Raven armani
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Raven armani »

I keep hearing about this series I think I might just go watch this...
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I binge watched the whole thing! I couldn't stop watching! Some parts were a little harder for me to watch but I made it through and honestly, really enjoyed it! I did not read the book but I really want to now.

My question is, some people felt that this show glorified suicide for teenagers, but I thought the point was completely different. I felt that it should show teenagers that if they are being bullied, and so much is happening to them in life, they need to speak up about it. I also felt that it showed kids need to stick up for other kids. One person may have been able to change so much for her, but everyone just kept putting her down. I don't know if maybe it was just me?? I don't think it glorified it or made it seems like other people could commit suicide and just blame it on other people. Thoughts?
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I have not read the book. I have seen parts of the tv show but it is very difficult to watch for me. It is a very well made TV show and I hope that the moral lesson will reach many people.
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I intend to watch it too. Right now I'm in the middle of the OJ Simpson series but this is the next on my list
Cbarhubb
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Cbarhubb »

The series was created & directed by Selena Gomez. She loved the book
so much that she created the series. I have yet to read the book.
I watched the series twice. It was so heavy but so well done. When Kate Walsh finds Hannah in the bathroom...oh my gosh. Absolutely gut-wrenching.
Season two has begun filming & will be released in 2018. Very excited to see the next 13 episodes.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I've been meaning to watch the series but haven't gotten around to it. I didn't realize it was adapted from a book until now. Good to know!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html

Post by Ljessup »

I didn't read the book, but I did watch the show on Netflix. It was the first I heard of it and I think they did a good job with the show overall. I enjoyed the show and have heard there might be a second season. I would watch that one as well. Some scenes were difficult to endure, but I think the awareness that is trying to be spread from it is awesome!
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I haven't read the book but, the series is pretty good. I like it :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “Films and Books”