Hidden Figures

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Re: Hidden Figures

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I really liked this movie. All very good actors and a great plot. It made me want to read the book though.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

This movie is on television frequently and I always put reminders on to watch, and I still miss it. I put it on my Netflix list, still haven't pressed play. And we have the DVD, so I don't know what I'm doing because I really do want to see the movie!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
S Chinaski
Currently Reading: Before They're Gone
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiercat.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by S Chinaski »

Fantastic! I read the book first and, as usual, wasn't expecting the movie to hold up to the book.
This may be the first movie I've ever seen, based on a book that I've read, that was actually as good as the book.

I definitely recommend both! I would read the book first; there were many interesting details in the book that made the context and impact of these ladies' work really hit home.

I especially enjoyed hearing about the calculations they did to help Chuck Yeager and John Glenn.

Truly a powerful, under-appreciated story and group of ladies.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

A fabulous movie that does justice to the amazing feats of these three smart women, who lived during a time when career women were a very rare thing.
Mi_sa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mi_sa »

:) Movie was very nice
The plot and characters down to the storyline is on point

And an interesting point of view to shed some light into one of history's major events
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto »

This movie speaks volumes! I love the deviance the characters showed, how their just sick of everyone undermining them just because of their gender and their skin color. Women ARE badass too! BLACK women even more so! Awesome movie. My only regret is that I didn’t watch it sooner.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I love the movie so much that I watched it five times. The way the cast portrayed their roles is superb and the story it tells made it more worthy to watch.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I loved the movie so much and when I found out that it was based on a book, I read the book. After reading the book about what some of the women really faced, I was frustrated that the movie over-dramatized certain things. But all in all, a great movie and a great inspiration for women everywhere.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I absolutely loved everything about this movie. It was so heartbreaking, inspiring and well written.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I definitely enjoyed the movie, it had brilliant sets and costuming and a inspiring, emotional story. I plan on reading the book.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I LOVED IT!!! Especially the scene where Kevin Costner's character brings the bathroom sign down (and the previous one where Taraji P. Henson's character berates him). So powerful!
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

This was by far one of my all time favorite movies! I believe the women that this movie is based upon never truly got the recognition that they deserved for the work that they contributed to the space industry. I have not read the book and probably never will as I was so impressed by the movie.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

It was an excellent movie and I will be the first to say that these women deserved all of the recognition and respect that the movie generated; however, many of the issues regarding racial prejudice which were displayed in the movie, and which in fact were an important part of the movie, did not in fact happen, and those that did were not nearly as flagrant or insulting as the movie would suggest. Hollywood has a penchant for exaggerating the truth in order to make a good story and to make money. There probably was some prejudice because that was just a reflection of the times, and of course this should never have happened, but to irresponsibly tell half truths or exaggerate the disrespect these women were accorded only fuels the rift between the races today and it is sad to think that it is all in the interest of making money with a movie. If you research this issue you will find that I am correct.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I really enjoyed it, I was very impressed by the three women’s dedication and courage. Not to mention, their incredible knowledge! I really loved their loyalty to each other and their support for each other.
-Thea M. Frederick
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I just remember the particularly powerful scene about the main protagonist needing to walk all that way just to use the bathroom. The actress did a wonderful job.

Return to “Films and Books”