Hidden Figures

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
JSSaunders
Bookshelf Size: 0

Hidden Figures

Post by JSSaunders »

I saw Hidden Figures and I I was super impressed with the character development and plot formation throughout the movie. It got great reviews but I'm really curious to see what you all think/thought about it.
chattykathy
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chattykathy.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by chattykathy »

My thought was wow, wowza, wowza. It was so good. I loved all the ladies although they made the one look like a black version of Barbie. They were spunky,strong, and above all smart as heck. It made me wonder how much more history like this is not shared with the world. There are stories that will be lost because they are not told.Stories like this of people in history that made the world better. If I could give it a million starts and Oscar's I would it was that good.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I actually have not seen the movie, but I want to. I still need to rent it off of netflix. It seemed like a very interesting story line.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

csimmons032 wrote:I actually have not seen the movie, but I want to. I still need to rent it off of netflix. It seemed like a very interesting story line.
I agree, everyone keeps telling me that it is such a great movie. I will try to watch it soon.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I thought the movie was fantastic. The characters were well developed, and it sent a very powerful message.
Lynn Kimani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lynn Kimani »

When I was watching hidden figures, it made me feel like I was part of a timeline that not even my parents existed in. I usually do not like 'history' movies but hidden figures is my first and ,better yet, the best movie of all time. The actors and actresses were amazing.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Hidden Figures was fabulous. The director had such a commitment to creating an authentic setting that he actually had a professor from Georgia Tech come on set to write the formulae on the chalkboards. I also appreciate that it told the stories of overcoming injustice in a way that was uplifting and encouraging to everyone. It made me feel like I could fight for those principles myself and be better than I am. Such a great film!
Catherine Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-davis.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Catherine Davis »

I didn't realize there was a book. Hidden Figures is now on my list to read. I loved the movie and thought it was well done. Can't wait to read it.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I don't normally watch history movies this was a first. I was so impressed it made me swell with pride. These women were so smart and bold. I will have to add the book to my 'to read' library and read it.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Great reviews, I might watch it too.
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

I really enjoyed the movie which makes me want to read the book and see what else there might be to share. I thought the movie did a good job highlighting what it was like for the Women of Color to work in such an oppressive environment.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Hidden figures is a good movie that teaches us hard work and resilience. I loved the plot.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I love Hidden Figures. I think it is incredible that they made such an impact and got so little credit, even from their co-workers. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. They should have been in every U.S. history book. What they did was very important.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Omg. I stumbled across this movie a few weeks ago by mere chance and loved it so much!!!
Berry :wine:
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I honestly had no idea what to expect going into this movie, but I ended up really liking it! I thought it did a great job of portraying the time period, and watching the three ladies work their way up in their careers through their own determination and intelligence was very inspiring to watch.

I also had no idea that the movie was based on a book. Well, now I have something else to add on to the ever-growing list of books I need to read!

Return to “Films and Books”