Underrated Horror Film/Book and Rating

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Underrated Horror Film/Book and Rating

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

In the genre of horror specifically, what movie and/or book out there do you think is sadly and quite possibly criminally underrated?

The most people see in the realm of horror are the cheep, unoriginal, non-unique, jump-scare-based films that Hollywood considers "blockbusters". It is a stagnant pool which lacks creativity and truthfully tarnishes the good name of horror.

So what out there are some really good horror films/books that you feel should be known more? Are they good simply for the scare effect? Or is there more to it? I am not looking for just a movie that will scare people. I want to know about horror stories that are actual stories, not just horror. Something that should define horror more than Insidious or The Conjuring films. Give some detail as to why you think they are underrated and unique to the horror genre.

Happy writing,

The Ellipsis Writer :tiphat:
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

A VERY OVERLOOKED Horror film, which is one of my favorites, is Hush. It follows a deaf author being chased by a murderer in her cabin in the wood, but as the movie goes on, it gets SOOOOO much better. It can be found on Netflix, and I highly recommend it.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

EmperorOfBooks wrote:A VERY OVERLOOKED Horror film, which is one of my favorites, is Hush. It follows a deaf author being chased by a murderer in her cabin in the wood, but as the movie goes on, it gets SOOOOO much better. It can be found on Netflix, and I highly recommend it.
Wonderful! Thank you very much for the suggestion!
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think the movie Occulus is quite underrated. Personally, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. I think people tend to overlook it because it's more psychological than the typical blockbuster horror.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

EmperorOfBooks wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 19:04 A VERY OVERLOOKED Horror film, which is one of my favorites, is Hush. It follows a deaf author being chased by a murderer in her cabin in the wood, but as the movie goes on, it gets SOOOOO much better. It can be found on Netflix, and I highly recommend it.
I agree! Same with the movie Don't Breathe by Dylan Minnette. A group of friends tried to break into the house of a blind man who's a retired soldier. They planned to stole the money that he got from his daughter's accident. For me, it is so cool that you end up having mixed emotions because of the story that you unexpectedly think. 😊
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

VHS its found footage style. I love it! Each section has a different director.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

The movie "Friend Request" is totally underrated... for me, this horror movie should have been recognized more for its highly suspenseful plot and gruesome scenes. I never expected that this film could scare me out of my wits considering that I've seen countless of horror movies already and this movie still scared the life out of me.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I know not many people like it, but I really enjoyed "The Boy," if only because it markets itself as very clearly being what you think it ism and then completely flips the script. I can't say much more without giving it away. It's not particularly terrifying or gruesome, but I truly enjoyed it.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

There was a time when I loved the Scream movies. They built suspense, made me fear, but also made me laugh and love the characters, and kept me guessing. I like a horror movie that has gore, but also has a plot and if it can make me laugh, great. Child's Play will always be a favorite.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

Let the Right One In is my favorite horror movie and it's terribly overlooked. It was remade into an American version titled Let Me In, and even the title is less effective than it's original Swedish counterpart.

The original has absolutely zero jump scares, and it relies pretty on the situation and imagery to horrify the audience. It is beautifully done and is a thought-provoking story.

Return to “Films and Books”