The Hunger Games Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Jhoffman1015
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhoffman1015.html

Re: The Hunger Games Series

Post by Jhoffman1015 »

I always feel this way when they turn a book into a movie. :( I usually try to either 1. stay away from movies that I have read the books for, or 2. watch the movie before I read the book. I watched the first movie, then got hooked and had to see how it all ended. So I read the entire series. Then the other movies??...totally disappointed me!!

And don't watch Divergent if you have read those books...they will disappoint as well.
Debbietx42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbietx42.html

Post by Debbietx42 »

When you do you will understand why I enjoyed the book better. I'd be curious if you feel some parts should've been added.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I love the Hunger Games Series so much because first, It is political. It's about power grabbing. The main character Katnis in the story was successful not just because of her good heart and determination but with the people around her who supported her up to the extent of sacrificing their lives. This only shows that in every success are people behind our back who are ready to catch us if we fall.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Alexander Watson
Currently Reading: The Prince
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-watson.html

Post by Alexander Watson »

Get Em Read! Lol :)
bgeyer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bgeyer.html

Post by bgeyer »

Knowing that no movie is going to be a perfect translation, I think they did a great job but the books are still much better!
Lokyreads

Post by Lokyreads »

So in my opinion, I think that when they are making a movie based on a book, they should probably have key notes in what can be removed from the plot. I was so disappointed when several important points in the book didn't make it into the movie. However, it was still somewhat enjoyable until Mockingjay totally hated part one and two.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

I loved the Hunger Games both in book and movie form. Yes, they were different, but each had its own merits. We have a 6th grade teacher using the first book in the series as an extention to her unit on the Holocaust. Very fitting as there are many similarities in discrimination, genocide, corrupt leadership, etc. I don't think the Hunger Games will soon be forgotten.
Wizard Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizard-magic.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Wizard Magic »

Personally, the series on the whole was pretty good. I finished all the book and have yet to see all the movies. I loved the first book, liked the second book, and was not impressed by the last book and its ending. The series started of strong, but I think, for me, it was far to unrealistic. It is not the dystopian society that threw me off, it was more the storyline as the books progressed. I didn't think that the plot in the last book was as realistic for that series. The concept of everyone dying of and being separated didn't sit well with me.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
phoenmoon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenmoon.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by phoenmoon »

The movies were not terrible for movies. I think only once in history has a movie done a book justice and I cant even remember what the movie or the book were:). Its much easier to watch a movie and expect they are going to butcher it. I wonder though if the Hunger games would have been better as a mini-series or something.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
biabobia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biabobia.html

Post by biabobia »

I completely agree, think they changed too much, especially in mockingjay part 1 and 2, that doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy the movies, just feel like they lost a lot of emotion.
WulffHuman

Post by WulffHuman »

I read the books first prior to seeing the movies, to test the theory of books vs film first. I have always been a bibliophile and really enjoy film as a medium for storytelling with multiple modalities. I was not disappointed to find that the level of detail included in character interactions as well as depth of characters is almost always deeper in books than film due to the long form. There are concessions given, as 90 minutes is far too short a time period to include all details, hence condensing exposition and having to establish character familiarity quicker and more concisely. I think they did an excellent job of translating the overall feel of the book and characters to film and did not lose much on the main characters and pace.
alynn901
Currently Reading: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynn901.html

Post by alynn901 »

Before I read them, I didn't think I'd like them. From what I'd heard about them, they seemed frightening (someone told me that a character ate another character). Then my friend made me go see the first movie with her, and I liked it. So I bought the books and read them. Now, the movie leaves so much out, but I can appreciate the first move because I saw it first, and had no expectations for it. The other two movies, well I had read a lot of books between reading the last two books and seeing the movies, so I didn't remember the smaller details that they left out.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I absolutely loved The Hunger Games books. I read them all right before the movie came out as well, during testing for our State Assessment tests. I was working as a paraprofessional, and during the tests and after there was a lot of time sitting around, waiting so I read The Hunger Games, all 3 books in 3 days.

One thing I really loved about The Hunger Games, was the vivid quality in which Suzanne Collins paints her world. I absolutely LOVED Katniss. Her inner thoughts, her actions, her will to survive. I normally don't take to books in which romance is downplayed, but this series is the exception. While the romance/love triangle is definitely there, it isn't the focus of the book, and it's way more complicated than most.

My favorite book in the series is Mockingjay. Where Mockingjay takes us is somewhere entirely different than where we started, and I really enjoyed that. It definitely has more of a sci-fi feel for me to it than the other books, and it in my opinion is the best in the series.

The movies weren't bad for me, considering Suzanne Collins helped with adapting the screenplay. Obviously some things were changed, and glossed over- after all you can't fit EVERYTHING in the book into a 2 hour movie, so the adaptations where things were changed, I felt was just. I think Mockingjay and Catching Fire were more along the lines of sticking closer to their source material than the first installment.

One of my all time favorites!
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Amore
Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amore.html

Post by Amore »

I honestly love both mediums for The Hunger Games. The movies are obviously visual and well made. The books have little innuendos and side stories that further develop each character that wasn't fully portrayed on screen, but that's to be expected. I read the series after the first movie came out and was surprised at how easy of a read it was, as others have said. It wasn't too simple to be categorized as childish, but I do wish Collins could have added a little more detail and complexity to her writing style. Overall it's definitely worth reading again..... and again. ;)
carrtracy7168
Currently Reading: Psychic vision books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrtracy7168.html

Post by carrtracy7168 »

The Hunger Games series was great, way better than the movie. I was actually a little perturbed about the parts they changed and left out of the movies. They are definitely books I will read again.

Return to “Films and Books”