Harry Potter

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
DarkRula
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Harry Potter

Post by DarkRula »

For me, the books are better than the films, though there's several things to add to that.

The first two films are just as good as the books. Faithful adaptions that manage to put everything they need into them. From there, the third is also a faithful adaption, but misses a few points out. The fourth and sixth films I feel are a tangle of subplot focus that distract from the main, which just messes them up. The fifth film works great, compacting such a massive book down to the shortest of the films without losing anything in the process. The final film [both parts] work as good, but miss out a lot of the finer details.

All of that doesn't stop me from watching them every year or so. Just makes reading the books after that bit better.
shawol

Post by shawol »

Harry Potter brings back so much pleasant memories! My favourite book in this series is definitely the Order of the Phoenix. Even though it had many more pages than the other books, there are just too many parts in the book that excites me. For instance, I literally screamed when Ron was named Prefect and Keeper. The ending was epic too! I had never thought that it would unveil in such a way. All in all, these little moments were what made the Order of the Phoenix may favourite book.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I read all the books before the movies (sometimes 2 or 3 times.) I did not enjoy Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. It was a bit boring, to tell you the truth so I won't be seeing the movie.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Farheen Malik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farheen-malik.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Farheen Malik »

Harry Potter is the best movie and book. I've read and watched it's books and movies a thousand times. Every time I read them, it feels like it's my first time. They never let you get bored.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

You truly should read the books, they are amazing and captivating! Definitely a good read.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

The books are definitely better than the movies, but you guys must understand that it's really difficult to know which scenes to cut and which ones to keep. Moviemakers will always decide to maximize their chances of reaching the widest possible audience.
colorsparkle
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorsparkle.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by colorsparkle »

I'm not against you for watching the movies first! They're well made and follow the stories of the books pretty well. Have fun reading!
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

Ahh! That's excellent! I hope you enjoy reading them! It took me so long to read them and now I cherish them more than anything. As stated above though, Fantastic Beasts is actually just one of Harry's textbooks that JK. Rowling released as an extra from the "Hogwart's Library"-- so you don't need to read it before seeing the movies. It still is a very fun read through to learn about all of the creatures Harry and friends interact with during the series.
Amina_Ibrahim
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-ibrahim_1328443.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Amina_Ibrahim »

HArry potter is life! This was the first "long" novel I read. I think I've read each book 3, 4 times now. I frequently go in book slumps and this is the only series which brings me back.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

The Virgo Speaks wrote: 06 Dec 2016, 23:03 This may be against the rules of the nerd association (of which I am a proud member), but I have seen every single Harry Potter movie an extensive amount of times and have never read any of the books. I plan to do so, however, before I die. I also plan on reading Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J. K. Rowling before i see the movie.

Same!! I have watched the movies moviesa few times but i have read only the first book and plan to read them before i die😂. Due to harry potter series, my favourite game is Quidditch and i wish it was a real game .
Hina_rehan

Post by Hina_rehan »

I am the biggest fan of the HP series considering to have read each book 90 times at the age of TWELVE! I really love it, especially the way JKR explained everything in great detail. She seems to keep everything in her mind while writing because whenever a question pops up in my mind, the books solves it. I have also seen the movies but the books are ten times more enjoyable!!

Furthermore, my English writing skills are way improved. This year I even got a certificate in English! :D
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

If you are talking about the Fantastic Beast '"textbook", I don't think it's really necessary because it isn't related to the movie that much. And JK Rowling has added some new beasts in the movie that weren't introduced in the textbook anyway.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I'm more into the books than the movies. I loved the first movie and the last few ones. Actually the only thing I minded about the movies (except for the first 2) was when they changed Dumbledore..:(
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

They are incredibly well-written books. The series starts off kind of MG then quickly goes YA as Potter matures and things get darker, IMHO.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I've read all the books once, and a few favourite parts multiple times. But whenever hit by nostalgia I prefer watching the movies as they get done faster. I'm one of the people who grew up watching and reading Harry Potter and the journey began for me at eleven when I was too young to judge if the book was better or the movie. I also had a MASSIVE crush on Rupert Grint and the Phelps twins so I'd watch the movie regardless of how it turned out. Besides, I'm surrounded by Potterheads who love the movies and books equally so I don't really get questioned about it.
But, to any lover of the Potterverse, I'd most definitely recommend reading the books too because it just has more details and depth and if you really love that world so much then why not dive into it headfirst?

Return to “Films and Books”