Harry Potter

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Re: Harry Potter

Post by mewsmash »

I would read one of the books, and then watch the movie. I thought that was a good way do I didn't forget any of the plot.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Post by Book_Wyrm »

The Virgo Speaks wrote:This may be against the rules of the nerd association (of which I am a proud member), but I have seen every single Harry Potter movie an extensive amount of times and have never read any of the books. I plan to do so, however, before I die. I also plan on reading Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J. K. Rowling before i see the movie.
The books are much, much better than the movies :D mainly because they are so much more detailed ... and of course, unlike in movies, you get the benefit of the characters' thoughts as well. As well, some of the characters seemed to get short shrift in the movies (Ron in particular, but there are others). I think you will really like the books when you get to them.

There's not actually a book for Fantastic Beasts -- okay, I take that back: she wrote Fantastic Beasts as one of the 'textbooks' that Hogwarts students used in one of their classes. She wrote it in 2001 to help raise money for Comic Relief Charity. It's got about 130 pages, so how they plan to make a five-part movie out of it, I do not know. Haven't seen the first movie yet. I do intend to see it, but I'm not in any rush about it (I'm pretty sure I've already missed it on the big screen, so I'll probably watch it on DVD at some point). There's also a screenplay in book form; I'll get to that eventually too. :)
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

For some reason, I never read the Harry Potter books when I was younger. I do own all of the books now, though, and I plan to read every one and watch every film. The idea behind the story is genius!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

I loved the books so much, and I think they were meaningful to an entire generation. I wonder how well they will live on now as time passes.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
danii906
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by danii906 »

I read the books as they came out and the movies as they came out. It's my favourite series of all time. I have fantastic beasts but I have yet to see the movie. I'm excited to watch it.
There is so much from the books that were left out of the movies.
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

I watched Fantastic Beasts before I got my hands on the screenplay, so I have to say watch the movie first! Since it's the only one in the Harry Potter series that didn't get a "book" first, I feel like it's the best movie thus far since I had no expectations (other than it being amazing) going in.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

I have watched all Harry Potter movies, planned to read it however the library sucks, they won't let me bring it home.
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

I love the Harry Potter books even though I have read it twice there are still things that i miss read the first time and surprised me the second time
Diaaaanne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Diaaaanne »

I'm such a huge fan of Harry Potter, but I really got into it pretty late. Not because it didn't sound interesting but because I try to avoid reading books from an incomplete series. The wait in between books is TORTURE. Anyway, the books are definitely a must read. There's a lot of foreshadowing in the books and it's nice to see Harry's thought process. Some scenes from the books aren't shown in the movie, it's fine if it's just the silly, unimportant details. But there were some pretty relevant ones that weren't in the movie.

Also, reading Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them isn't really necessary before watching the movie as it has no plot, merely a guide of sorts to magical creatures. But is does make for a fun game trying to guess which animals are what before it's revealed, and why a certain creature acts that way.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I read The Order of Phoenix and watched all the movies. The books are really simple to read despite how long they are. The movies are really cool as well. I already read watched Fantastic Beast and where to find them so I don't plan to read the book. However, I would read the sequel if it has one.
Cinnamon-Paige
Currently Reading: the little friend
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamon-paige.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Cinnamon-Paige »

I am a huge Potterhead and I recently got my best friend to watch the movies with me. The look of amazement on his face as he entered the world of Hogwarts with me is rendered in my memory for ever.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I may not be young but I totally enjoyed all the Harry Potter books. My favorite character is Hermione. I love her spunk and intelligence.

I really think J.K. Rowling is awesome.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

The book of Fantastic Beasts is just a screenplay of the movie anyway so of all of them not to read, it is probably the one. I am a massive Harry Potter fan and have read the books countless times. I also do enjoy the movies and have been them multiple times as well. As long as you can seperate the book from the movie, then the movies are enjoyable. Just don't get annoyed that everything isn't the same and appreciate it for its own right.
aldith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aldith »

I want to read them over and over again without skipping pages. I skip scenes in movies
joshmanzano
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfender.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Post by joshmanzano »

The movies are great, but it really just lacks what the books have. The books do more justice to the story.
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Return to “Films and Books”