Harry Potter

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Zimall »

I have watched all harry potter movies and have read books too. I have planned to read fantastic beasts and where to find them before watching it. It will be interesting watching and relating to the the book.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I am a stauch believer that the Harry Potter books are much better than the movies. I would advise any one who says that they just saw the movies to definitely read the books.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Harry Potter is an amazing series, which even got my non-reader boyfriend into reading! Took him over a year to finish his last book, and ended up reading the entire series in a month! I would highly recommend the books to anyone (the movies are good, but miss a lot of important details!).
Amymack0813
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amymack0813 »

I read each book before watching the movies. The books obviously had more depth to them and offered more of a backstory for reasons behind major events. I LOVED the movies. It would have been wonderful to have seen everything that was in the books. There were times, while I was reading, that I would think, 'oh, I can't wait to see that in the screen!' and then it ends up not in the movie. That was sad but the movies never disappointed me. I always left happy with the results. As for rereading them, I would love to be able to go back and reread some. I have the first 3 pretty much memorized and I think the only ones I would want to reread would probably be HBP and DH. If you are a fan of the books, I would recommend getting the illustrated ones too. So far, only the first 3 have been published but I think the 4th is in production.
You asked about fantastic beasts. When I watched the first one, I remember hearing hedwigs theme at the start, I cried. I really enjoyed the movies. The book it is based on is a textbook that the students used while in school but she did publish the script. I think that's what you are talking about reading. I have both scripts but I haven't read them all the way through.
I did read the script for Cursed Child, only because I haven't gotten the chance to see the plays yet. That was really good too. :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I read the Harry Potter books first before the movies came out. And while I loved soaking up all the details in her books, I enjoyed seeing the stories on screen even more. And today, I still enjoy watching the movies on tv. I just got my daughter interested in watching them at Christmas.
Dobbyisafreeelf

Post by Dobbyisafreeelf »

I am still young and I read the books before the movies. In the beginning I thought it might be boring but eventually I tried it. The first chapter of the first book was kinda boring but then it got a lot better. Even though he didn’t show up until later, Dobby was my favorite character. His love and sympathy to be able to risk his own life for the person who set him free (Harry Potter) was just so sad and nice. After I finished the books (it took me a couple months) my grandma bought me the movies. It took me a little while to watch them because I struggled to find time. Eventually though I finished all of them. I don’t like that they took out Peeves in the movies because although he wasn’t a main character, his spunk just made everything better. We could have used that prankster in the movies. The movies were really good because you got to see the change and growth of everyone especially Ron, Hermione, and Harry over time. Something you couldn’t really experience in the books. Also, everything you imagined just flowed into the screen so it was cool to watch it happen. Although there were many cool parts in the movies, the books were still better in my opinion. There was more details and there was just that feeling of reading each line and having the books in my hands that made it special. To this day, I love Harry Potter so much and overall J.K Rowling did an amazing job. Ps. I am part Hufflepuff part Ravenclaw
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I have not watched a lot of harry potter movies but I can tell you that fantastic beasts and where to find them is the real deal. If I could find the book id love to read it.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Guppy wrote: 09 Jan 2017, 04:50 Yep that's a definite violation of the nerd association rules :) When you do get around to reading them you'll realise just how much of the story you missed from watching the movies first. That being said the HP movies were excellent too.
Yeah, I totally agree with you. But I wish I could wipe my memory of watching the movies just to read the books first before the movies. I feel it would have made for a more wholesome experience. It also didn't help that people were dropping spoilers about the characters' deaths in the last movies before I saw them.

One thing I wasn't on board with, was how everyone was devastated over Dobby's death, and no-one seemed to care about Hedwig. When I saw the movies, I was even more peeved off that Harry didn't care, either. And Snape... I was truly heartbroken about him.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

The books are at least four times as good as the movies in my opinion.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
[vet tech] reviewer
Favorite Book: Strange the Dreamer
Currently Reading: Death of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by [vet tech] reviewer »

Another HP fan here!
I am a solid believer that the books outweigh the films, there are simply far too many small details contained within the books that the films could never cover. I think Goblet of Fire was the best of the books for me.
Having said that, the films are one of my favourite series, I have watched them numerous times. On my first watching, the first and second films I thought were somewhat disappointing, mostly because the actors are young and not perfect in their delivery - but they improved with age! The final two films are filled with heart-wrenching emotion and are well delivered.
I have seen the first of the Fantastic Beasts films, but it didn't really hit the same spot as the original stuff for me. I might try a second viewing at some point - I'm undecided though on how I feel.
Overall if you haven't tried the books - don't miss out on them! :-)
rizzie321
Currently Reading: Avenged
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by rizzie321 »

Has anyone got a Harry Potter trivia app or is it just me.
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

Books are so much better than films! In films for me it all went downhill after the Prisoner of Azkaban, because before that there was such incredible magical atmosphere in the movies... after that weird things started happening, many details were not included, too many things were changed. I still come back to watch the films sometimes, but they don't even come close to the books.
I liked the first Fantastic Beasts, but I was so busy I couldn't go to the cinema to watch the second one :D I heard that it was worse, though, so I never watched it.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I saw all the movies and read all the books. The books are wonderful and never fail to destress me. Its been 12 years since the last book and even today, I reread them once in a while.
U_genia07

Post by U_genia07 »

Absolutely love harry potter. I read all the books before I watched the movies. I was quite sad that it had to come to an end, then I heard of the cursed child I had to read it and I can say I fell in love. I hope to see a movie about it.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I learned to read with the Harry Potter books and you are definitely missing out!

Return to “Films and Books”