Fantastic beasts J.K. Rowling

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
stefanikay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Fantastic beasts J.K. Rowling

Post by stefanikay »

ShaneDevante wrote:I quite enjoyed the movie and it really was a strong, solid piece. There was one scene, however, I felt contradicted everything she'd previously established on the subject - that's a spoiler, so not mentioning it - but in general, I felt it was an excellent film. Hopefully, the sequels will be just as strong.
My husband and I argued about the last scene in the movie, if that's the one you're referring to. He interpreted it as...well, basically a contradiction of what had happened previously. I didn't take it that way at all--I thought it was more like the guy having a new "love at first sight" moment.
...but maybe that's not the scene you're talking about.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, and I thought it was a fun way to put together a new story based loosely on the book that has the same title.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

It was wonderful. I've seen the movie and I read the book. The one from the Hogwarts library, that is. I haven't read the screenplay book for the movie.
It was so good though. They combined my two favorite things: the Harry Potter world and the 20's. All of the characters were adorable and the four of them (that is, the four main characters) sorta became my new favorite characters. The setting was great. Awesome costumes, great special effects and 20's aesthetic.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
MollyMolly

Post by MollyMolly »

I love this film! Three generations went to see it and we all enjoyed it, it's not often you can say that. Saw the movie before reading the book, on my wish list
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

I loved everything about the movie, to be honest, and not even because the film itself was so wonderful. (Which it was! I've watched it twice in the theatre and I probably would've paid to go a third time.) A big part of me loving it so much was that I got to experience a new Harry Potter thing for the first time again, something that hasn't happened in a long time (aside from the Cursed Child, which I'm not going to take into account), which is what made it such a magical experience without actually needing any Harry Potter magic.
jstriker
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstriker.html
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher

Post by jstriker »

By now, I trust that everyone has seen this movie, but I still won't post any spoilers just in case. I generally enjoyed it, but found one thing a bit odd: the character revealed at the very end. Why did they change actors? I think Colin Farrell did a great job of portraying the character throughout the movie. The actor who replaced him didn't at all resemble the actor who played this character in an earlier point in life, if you're following me - re:the HP movie where this character appeared as a teenager. I'm a bit annoyed they replace Farrell, unless he had only wanted to appear in the series once.
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher
RachelleLehan
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachellelehan.html

Post by RachelleLehan »

I loved Fantastic Beasts! Naturally it's not the same as Harry Potter. It was before that era and that's what I love. It's about Newt Scamander the man that wrote the book on fantastic beasts. It's a whole new world of adventure within the magical world hidden from the muggles. For all true fans that fell in love, not just with the characters of Harry Potter, but the whole world, this new era is totally worth it!
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

I havent gotten to the book yet, but I loved the movie and how they portrayed the characters, other than I think they could have found someone better than Depp
Zeiyuka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4008">The Hobbit</a>
Currently Reading: Zodiac
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Zeiyuka »

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I feel ashamed I have not read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them! I also have not seen the movie yet... Double ashamed!

All of my friends have seen it and they say it is the most amazing movie ever. I can't wait to get my hands on both the movie and the book! :D
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I guess I have an unpopular opinion because I didn't really like the movie. I thought it was just okay. I haven't read the book but I have read the whole Harry Potter series and I've seen all the movies.
I felt like the movie's plot was boring and it seemed like the director was just relying on CGI. We didn't find out a lot about the characters either, which made it hard for me to like them. It kind of seemed like this movie was just an introduction for other movies in the series and therefore it couldn't stand by itself.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

So it doesn't sound like I want to read the book, but I am interested in the movie. I wonder when it'll come out on dvd. I know it's out of the theater now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KnArts
Currently Reading: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knarts.html

Post by KnArts »

Fantastic Beast makes my top ten of movies. I thought the storyline was compelling and not too obvious. And as a person going into the 3d animation world for work, I was amazed at the quality and believability of the fantastic animals.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

sgirl58 wrote:I haven't read Fantastic beasts and where to find them yet but I am very much looking forward to the movie. Who has read the book and or saw the movie all though I a don't think the movie is out yet.
Cathie
I want to see this, but I'll wait for it to be streaming first. It looks good, but also like a cash-cow since her other stuff didn't really take off. I think her entire career took a nosedive when she intentionally aged her characters just to 'kill them off' and then it makes it a lot harder to respect a continuation project when you say you are 'done' with the world.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
zerofire2905

Post by zerofire2905 »

I haven't read the book yet, but the movie was awesome. The movie did not see a clear chemistry between 2 main characters, and somehow the main actress makes me feel annoyed because she always yelled and cried.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

You know I have not actually read the books. I have however seen the movie and I really enjoyed it. So at some point I will definitely read the books. The movie was very unique and I would image that the books are very creative as well.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I have read all the Harry Potter books and I have watched all his films also. JK Rowling's new book will be on my TO READ list. As an aside, I take my hat off to Ms Rowling :tiphat: for being the first AUTHOR TO BECOME A BILLIONAIRE FROM THE SALE OF HER BOOKS AND THE MOVIE ROYALTIES plus VARIOUS ROYALTIES as well! :o That, my friends, is a very hard act to follow! :techie-reference:

Return to “Films and Books”