Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Lord of the Rings: Book vs Movie

Post by Sally_Heart »

I would not lie but when it comes to Lord of the rings the movies are better than the books.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

The books were amazing, but sometimes almost felt like there was so much going on that I could get lost in all the detail and various storylines. The movies did an excellent job of streamlining everything while keeping true to the heart of the novels. A lot was left out or else they'd be 9hrs each, but I love em and watch em all the time anyway.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I saw the movies first, so maybe my opinion is influenced by this, but I think they did a great job of the overall adaptation and selection of material to consider; to remove moments not so important for the central plot; to add elements of other complementary works such as the love story between Aragorn and Arwen or give more prominence to her in the story; to expand the battle of Helm's Deep and end the whole thing right after the Battle of the Black Gate and the fall of Barad-dûr instead of the the Scouring of the Shire. Still, I'd have preferred to see more focus on how the ring poisoned Frodo's mind, or some more context on certain worldbuilding issues such as the nature of the higher powers that handle the fate of Middle Earth.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Nina Butler wrote: 11 May 2017, 14:21 I would have to say that the books are better for the simple fact that a lot of stuff was taken out of the movie. I know they have time constraints and only so much money to work with.
I agree, but I think one of the most extraordinary things about the films is that I found them to match visually with the way I'd imagined the books - and everybody I've spoken to who knows and loves the books feels the same way. That's pretty rare, I suspect.
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

Books are always better because the plots are usually much developed and you read scenes that are usually not included in the movies, probably because of budget or something. By the lord of the rings movie was really amazing. The producers deserve two thumbs up(it would be more if I had more than two thumbs)
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

As much as I appreciate the writers and the actors of the movie for a good job well done, the book still surpasses the movie on every level.
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

Personally I loved the movies, the books are fantastic don't get me wrong but I do enjoy the movies slightly more then the books.
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

I think the movies did a spectacular job of incorporating as many major plot points as possible with the limited time and budget. I enjoy the books because of the level of detail that they attain over the hundreds of pages, but I enjoy the movies slightly more because they did a good job of selecting the best parts of the books and tying them together quite nicely.
harps789
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by harps789 »

I've read a few pages of LOTR at one point, but since the books are too long, I never got to finish it. I've read The Hobbit though and the book is definitely better than the film adaptation, imo, so perhaps that's the case too on LOTR books vs. movies.
ADEK-TIMMY
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ADEK-TIMMY »

Yes, in this case, I actually believe the films were better, or more rightly, as good as, the books. They are both amazing, but I love LOTR films to see what I envisioned in my imagination, play out on the screen. It was exactly how I pictured the books while reading. But I will turn on the films for a LOTR marathon before picking the books back up.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Definitely better the books. There was so much that was left out of the movies.
Berry :wine:
amale
Currently Reading: the long way to a small angry planet
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amale.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by amale »

I think in terms of pacing- the movies are a lot better than the books. But the movies do lack the richness of the greater universe that Tolkien fleshed out in his works. My problem with his writing is that it often comes across as sounding like a college professor giving a lecture. Which, to be fair, Tolkien was a college professor. Therefore, seeing the adaptation of that given a more "typical" fantasy flavor was fantastic and I love that Peter Jackson used so much of Tolkien's work to flesh out the movies in the little details. Mentioning Lobelia and her stealing of spoons for example, it made the dryer parts of Tolkien's writing really come alive for me. So I guess in answer to the question...both are better in different ways. I cannot choose haha.

That being said, I think the three movies of the Hobbit were a bit unnecessary and not as well done as the Lord of The Rings. While the Hobbit was originally meant to be a child's novel, Jackson often changed the tone of the Hobbit moves from a more serious fantasy to a farcical "oh look the fat hobbit broke the chair while eating too much food haha" moments. It was jarring for me personally. However this topic is about Lord of the Rings specifically, not the Hobbit.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I don't know but the movie just don't appeal to me, I haven't tried the book yet.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I agree with you on this one. I definitely enjoyed the movies more than the books. Normally I have a much better experience reading the book than I do watching the movie. Something about these movies though made the whole experience in Middle-earth much more fascinating.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Both were really good, but I prefer the books. I read them in high school and one of my favorite fantasy series.

Return to “Films and Books”