The girl on the train

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
flatts2005
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flatts2005.html

The girl on the train

Post by flatts2005 »

Hey guys.... Im new here looking to read and review. Pretty excited that it is a possibility considering im a huge reader and love meeting new people. :)

So I recently finished the book ' The girl on the train '
I loved the book and was very happy with the movie when I seen it a few days after its release! I thought the movie followed the book quite well... which is something that I loved. I absolutely despise when movie writers change or leave great things from novels out of the movies.

anyone have any thoughts?

much love!
slrowe1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slrowe1.html

Post by slrowe1 »

I preferred the book over the movie. I thought the movie followed the plot fairly well, but the characters seemed really flat without all the internal dialogue we get from the book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I read the book quite a while ago. I plan to see the movie but am thinking I should read the book again first.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
DanaCaroline
Currently Reading: After You
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by DanaCaroline »

I absolutely loved the book! I think they did really well on the movie. I do believe they casted very well for all the characters. I believe they were all able to portray true to the book characters.

There are a couple things I wish they did. Which I'll describe below, just in case you haven't seen it yet, I don't want to spoil anything you didn't want spoiled.

I do wish they emphasized on everyone telling her she had a drinking problem. I also wish the ending scene was as intense as it was in the book.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I have to yet to see movie but I definitely love the book. Although pretty much all of the key characters were so messed up, the premise of the story was interesting and has some unexpected twists.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
scorsassy

Post by scorsassy »

slrowe1 wrote:I preferred the book over the movie. I thought the movie followed the plot fairly well, but the characters seemed really flat without all the internal dialogue we get from the book.
That was exactly my problem with it! The book did a much better job in portraying the characters and creating the atmosphere. The movie did follow the storyline in a nice way, but there was just something lacking. There wasn't as much intensity as there was in the book, and some of the most important points weren't explored properly. It's a nice movie, with a nice cast, but it doesn't do the book justice.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Oh, definitely one of my newest favorites!
I haven't watched the movie yet, and I'm not sure if I will. The book was so great, I don't want the movie to diminish that for me.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
JenniB
Currently Reading: The Biology of Belief
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennib.html

Post by JenniB »

I've been wanting to read the book and haven't yet but I'll definitely read the book before watching the movie. It's always better that way for me. Love both books and movies so I'll do both for sure.
GemNR18
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 743">White Bones</a>
Currently Reading: Taken for Dead
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemnr18.html

Post by GemNR18 »

slrowe1 wrote:I preferred the book over the movie. I thought the movie followed the plot fairly well, but the characters seemed really flat without all the internal dialogue we get from the book.
I completely agree. The book gripped me so well that I finished it in one sitting. I wasn't able to empathise with the characters on the film at all and I wasn't a particular fan of the casting.
kyle364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle364.html

Post by kyle364 »

I haven't seen the movie yet.
I liked the book. I really liked Rachel and hated Anna. The book kept me very entertained and the author had me suspecting many different characters throughout the whole story.
JenTaylor

Post by JenTaylor »

'The girl on the train' was an interesting read, the well written characters along with the issues that they faced, along with the setting meant that this novel was extremely intriguing and hard to put down. The movie was quite good however I felt that it didn't have same feel as the book.
konnapap
Currently Reading: ethan frome
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-konnapap.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by konnapap »

The book was definitely way better that this movie! It didn't manage to grab my interest quite as well as the novel did, I couldn't really feel for none of the characters. I really wanted to like it and I was disappointed.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Ashdut

Post by Ashdut »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I absolutely hated the book. Maybe my expectations were set too high from all the great reviews on it. I thought the characters were horrible, and there wasn't a single one that sparked a connection for me. The book started slow, then when it finally got interesting the author ruined it with the ending. The plot twist, that was supposed to be so amazing, left me wanting and in disbelief that, after all the build up, that's all we got. I think it had the potential to be a really great book if the author had chosen a different ending.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I am hoping to read this book due to the fact I loved the film so much I watched it 3 times just to see the bits I missed in the first showing, the little hints and twists to the tale so I am guessing the book is going to be far better, since that is usually the way it goes!

Still I think I am still going to like the film even after I read the book.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I remember coming across the book a while ago before I knew it was being made into a movie and the plot didn't interest me so I passed on reading it. But after watching the trailer I decided to watch the movie and it was really good! Now I'm looking forward to reading the book. :)

Return to “Films and Books”