Girl on the train

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
sgirl58
Currently Reading: Damaged
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgirl58.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Girl on the train

Post by sgirl58 »

I loved the book Girl on the Train and I like Emily Blunt. So who has read the book and seen the movie and what did you think? I haven't seen the movie yet, but would like to.
Cathie
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
anonymousit2016
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anonymousit2016 »

hi sgirl58

i haven't seen this book yet. can you share for me

thanks
Hinarcia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hinarcia.html

Post by Hinarcia »

I didn't read the book. I wanted, but then it came as a movie in the cinema. I really enjoyed it although it was a little bit stretched out at some points. If you liked the book check the movie out. I only have no idea what was in the books so I can't say if it is good or bad in that way.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I also enjoyed the book - I think because I don't usually read books like it so it was a nice change. I also want to see the movie, and I have heard good things about it
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Haven't seen the movie, but I read the book after having seen the movie's trailer. The book was really good at times, but the ending disappointed me. As for the movie, I don't have an interest in seeing it. My main reason is that in the book Rachel is supposed to be a fat alcoholic that has really let herself go appearance wise. It's a pretty important part of the story, so if they did not get that right then I don't really care.
emberwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emberwood.html

Post by emberwood »

I loved the book and have seen the movie. I actually read the book because I heard the movie was coming out. The movie does a decent job at keeping up with the plot and staying true to the characters. Emily Blunt is absolutely amazing in everything she does and the movie is no exception. She tackles her character and adds depth to her. Although, like AliceofX, I was off-put by the appearance difference. There were some pretty drastic differences though, as there are with all books-turned-movies, but it seemed to work.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I haven't read it or seen the movie yet but it is definitely on my list!
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

The book was awesome, a perfectly twisted thriller that kept me guessing until the end. I reviewed this book for a client and gave it a stellar recommendation. It amazed me how well this first-time author managed to keep several first person narratives, as well as going back and forth in the timeline...her transitions were seamless. The movie was very well done. Emily Blunt was a perfect casting for the Rachel character and she is a terrific actress. However, the complexity of the novel was difficult to cram into a two-hour timeframe, so for this reason, the book was so much more rewarding.

But, I will say, both book and movie are worth enjoying. This book was often compared to the popular "Gone Girl," but I would argue "The Girl on the Train" was far better. And the movie was definitely preferable to the Ben Affleck film.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I haven't heard of this book before but I've heard of the movie. I'll make sure to read it first before I ever watch the film. I'm guessing it's good.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
miracleugochukwu
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by miracleugochukwu »

I don't know the book, but will try to get the softcopy
Angel West
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel-west.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Angel West »

The movie kept me guessing, but I didn't read the book. In general I find the book is always better and I'm more critical of movies when I've read the books first. The Hunger Games is about the only time I've seen the movie truly enhance the experience instead of disappointing.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I have heard a lot about it. I'm looking forward to reading it and then comparing the movie.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

The book was one of my favorites though I have yet to see the movie. Since I already know the big twists, I haven't been all the interested in seeing it. I rarely see the movies based on books I've already read (except Harry Potter of course!).
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I chose to read the book because I saw the movie trailer. I'm not in agreement with the majority on this thread (sorry!). I couldn't stand it. I managed to finish it but it was soooooo boring. To each their own though. I didn't want to see the movie after reading the book.
Jenbattnyc

Post by Jenbattnyc »

I was not a big fan of the movie. The book was definitely better!

Return to “Films and Books”