Fifty Shades of Grey: From Book to Big Screen

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Aleece
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleece.html

Icon Fifty Shades of Grey: From Book to Big Screen

Post by Aleece »

Who else has seen this movie...

Better yet, who read the book first? I don't know about anyone else, but I was immensely disappointed! I loved the novels... I was super excited to see them put it on the screen. Movies usually don't match the book exactly, which can be frustrating. However, they don't leave out so much that you don't understand what's going on... Fifty Shades did that to me!

I was lost... If you read the books, you know what I'm talking about. It was absolutely disappointing. I still love the books, but downright refuse to watch another movie created from them.

What did you think of the Fifty Shades movie? If Fifty Shades isn't your slice of pie, tell me about your own thoughts on the book to movie transition... :D
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

I also read the series first and I have to say that I was excited to find the book was turning into a movie. But as usual, 99% of the movies based on books give the general result of disappointment. It depicted only the sexual relationship, but it couldn't transmit the real depth of their connection. That was my overall perception. I'm not that hopeful of a good delivery for the next one.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Luv2Read74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv2read74.html

Post by Luv2Read74 »

I read the books back to back and enjoyed them.

I went to see the movie.... I fell asleep.

For me the movie was an EPIC fail in casting and storyline. I have tried to watch it twice since and fell asleep everytime.
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

I've only read a sample of the first book and later watched the movie when I didn't have to pay for it. The movie did lack a lot of emotional depth to the couple. Movies can never capture all of the things a book can, just how books can never quite capture a movie's images through the conveying of words.
k_clements21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-clements21.html

Post by k_clements21 »

I won't lie, I've read the books a few times. I loved them, even though I found Ana a little too naive. I however had a mental picture in my mind of what Christian looked like, and when I saw who was playing him on the movie, I just couldn't bring myself to watch it. I feel like it would ruin the whole story for me. So I'm boycotting it lol.
mupt02
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mupt02.html

Post by mupt02 »

I agree with you 100%. I will admit, I've read the books multiple times. They suck me in. I didn't get any of that from the movie. There was no connection between Ana and Christian. So many of the details from the book were missing. A lot of the scenes (even things as basic as the Heathman and their apartments) were not what I pictured. It almost made it hard to watch.

The second book is my favorite, so I will watch the movie to see what they do with it. But, I am definitely not going into it with the same excited I was with the first one.
NicciH
Currently Reading: Blood Laws
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niccih.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by NicciH »

I must say that I also do prefer the books to the movie, as the books have a lot more detail. They only thing for me with book two was that the character Anastasia Steel became a bit 'boring' in a sense with her insecurities & indecisiveness.

They could have put a lot more effort into making the movie. Really hope the next one is better, but doubtful.
But overall I really enjoyed the series.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Rose52916

Post by Rose52916 »

I read the first book and went to see the movie with my boyfriend as well. I am a licensed professional counselor and was shocked and concerned about the entire basis of the book/movie. The leading characters were clearly mentally ill...Christian was sexually abused by a female adult for several years, yet no one seemed to understand this. People have their preferences, and as long as no one is physically, sexually, or emotionally abused (as adults) the books would be fine. The translation from book to movie did not seem to work very well.
LBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by LBrown »

I actually watched the movie first. Then I read the book, so I wasn't disappointed with the movie so much. It was more like the book gave a more detailed story.
scifi_bookworm_007

Post by scifi_bookworm_007 »

I read the trilogy, while 50 shades of grey was in production and was interested by what lured him to the world of sadomasochism, and as a result her too. I wasn't as dissapointed by the film adaption because I had assumed much of it would be toned down for the film, bewcause if they want to make a decent amount of revenue they couldn't be as detailed as EL James was. In the books, I found Ana to be unrealistic of the world, the way she jumped into an S & M relationship and Christian was scary at his level of possessiveness in the books. The films don't show this probably to keep people interested...
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

I loved the books. Was highly disappointed in the first movie. I plan on seeing Darker here in Feb. Mainly because I'm interested in seeing how her husband did on writing the script if he actually did take over writing the scripts for the movie. This was the first book I read in that genre and now it's hard for me to get into anything in romance that isn't almost down right dirty.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I enjoyed the Fifty Shades trilogy and the first movie was an okay adaptation. I do look forward to seeing the second film simply because I enjoy this genre and I want to see how this interpretation will go. Human sexuality has been such a taboo subject for far too long. Especially, sexuality from a woman's point of view. If you examine films that include sex scenes, so often they portray things that appeal to the male perspective. One of the main things I enjoy about the Fifty Shades books is the fact that the story is mostly told from Anastasia's point of view. Exploring sensuality, sexuality, and one's limits shouldn't be "dirty" but instead should be left up to individuals. It is refreshing to have this topic portrayed in fiction and on the big screen. For this same reason, I enjoyed the Starz adaptation of Gabaldon's Outlander. Season one had some wonderful exploration of the sexual relationships of Claire with both her first husband, Frank and her second husband, Jamie. The series also explored the violent nature of sexuality including both female and male rape. These intimate themes should not be taboo. Too many people are completely repressed because so many people are raised to believe sex is "bad". I will be in the theater is February to see Fifty Shades Darker.
tot2487
Bookshelf Size: 521

Post by tot2487 »

I tried to read the books but I just couldn't take them seriously and stopped about 2 chapters into the first. I then found out that this series was originally Twilight fanfiction so I sought out the original (I already have low expectations of writing in fanfiction, so it made it easier for me to read if that makes sense). Going into the movie knowing that the relationship was really supposed to be Bella and Edward with all the weird intensity that that entails, I was disappointed. The movie didn't even scratch the surface. I think they tried too hard to make a rated R S&M movie and forgot that there was supposed to be an actual story that went with the sex. And since they can't really show the sex, it failed. HARD. I hear the next one is better though. I think they got a new director.
ShaneDevante

Post by ShaneDevante »

I read the books to understand the hype and outrage surrounding the books, because I'm a firm believer in hate/love it for the right reason. I'm not going to lie. I was rather appalled at Fifty Shades of Grey being considered a best seller considering the severe lack of research on the part of the author, the awful spelling and grammar, and the weak characterization. The book didn't reflect BDSM at all, and it had far too many unfortunate implications and subtext which left a nasty taste in my mouth.

The movie improved on these considerably, because they removed a large chunk of what made the books intolerable. The movie, for its focus on sex, actually made them appear somewhat normal, sane people who enjoyed safe, sane, and consensual kinks as opposed to the unfortunate implications in the books wherein the subtext read as a manipulative sociopath of a man taking advantage of a weak, naive woman. So, I do think the movie was better as a whole.
omreaderskingdom

Post by omreaderskingdom »

Selling Brand New Fifty Shades series Novels at OM Reader's Kingdom

Return to “Films and Books”