Fifty Shades of Grey: From Book to Big Screen

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey: From Book to Big Screen

Post by Ana Njeri »

I also read the book first and when I heard the movie was being released, I was so excited until I saw the movie and completely trashed it. They didn't even put the actual content of the book in the movie, they only focused on the sex scenes, Anastasia lips and Christian greys voice. The movie was utter garbage for me. I didn't even watch the second movie of the fifty shades of grey series when it was released.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Michelle92 wrote: 16 Oct 2016, 20:05 I also read the series first and I have to say that I was excited to find the book was turning into a movie. But as usual, 99% of the movies based on books give the general result of disappointment. It depicted only the sexual relationship, but it couldn't transmit the real depth of their connection. That was my overall perception. I'm not that hopeful of a good delivery for the next one.
I couldn't agree more.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I read the books first then saw the movies, I was disappointed by how different I imagined the characters & the first movie doesn’t stay as faithful to the books. I think they did better with the last 2 movies. The first movie the author was fighting with the director so I think it shows in the quality of the movie. The author made the next director be more loyal to the books of the next two movie so it was much better in my opinion.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The novels were more palatable than the movies as the movies seemed more about sex than anything else. The characters in the book were more complex than the way they were potrayed in the movie.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I read the books first! I was super disappointed by the movies too! The books raised my expectations and the movie crushed it.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I only read the first book and hated it. Not interested at all in reading the rest or seeing the movies.
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

I read the book first and I was very skeptical to see how...everything...would be portrayed in the movie. I think the biggest disappointment, though, was how timid Ana was in the movie. In the books, she was witty and funny and sarcastic. And Jamie Dornan didn't give me "Christian Grey" vibes. The whole movie was a let-down for me.
lildallface
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lildallface »

I just bought the trilogy. It says it takes 34 hours to read but I loved the movies and I'm sure the books will be better.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I read the books on a dare, but , never watched the movie. The books creeped me out and I didn't even consider the opinion of watching the movies.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I did not read the books but did catch the first installment recently on television. It was interesting but not sure I'll read the books. I will probably watch the next one on television, where it is a little more PG rated.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I've heard so many people say how the film disappointed them and how reading the books was so much more fun than watching it on TV but I think both versions were good.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I did not like the movies. I much preferred the books. Also was not fond of the massive sex scenes so when I reread them I just skip over those parts.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I actually think that the movies were way better than the books in this rare case.

Return to “Films and Books”