Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children movie yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
CG Lease
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children movie yes or

Post by CG Lease »

I have read all the books in the series as well as seeing the movie. I enjoyed the books much more the movie rushed everything. Whereas the book starts out slow it demonstrates the characters motivations better.
I was particularly saddened to see the movie left out the museum and it's curator. That turned the character of Enoch into a mean boy instead of a mischievous boy as the book portrayal of him seems to indicate. Later he helpfull in the adventure by finding out who killed the curator.Miss Peregrine was to obsessed with her watch in the movie it made me feel as if she cared more about time than the children. I also wished the movie reflected the book better there by leaving Miss Peregrine as a bird at the end setting up the next movie.
Liz-Lou-Legg
Currently Reading: In Love With A Haunted House
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Liz-Lou-Legg »

I am looking forward to seeing the film as I have not had a chance to yet, but I am also looking forward to reading the book as I know that whenever a book is made into a film a lot can be left out or portrayed differently. I am not sure which version I get round to first, the book or the film but I have a feeling that I will enjoy the book more as I am always annoyed that the film is missing events or there are characters missing or look different than how they are described in the book.
shalako
Currently Reading: Enter, night
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalako.html

Post by shalako »

I think the movie and book had very different feels to them. When I read the book I was pleasantly surprised at every turn; it took a kind of tired trope (magical children living in one home) but struck me as very original and fresh nonetheless. There was no sense of originality in the movie. I feel like if you've seen any Tim Burton movies you pretty much know how Miss Peregrine's will go -- it will be overly stylized and full of insanely pale people. I felt like Jake and Emma were both robbed of personality.

This is a very negative response so far but I did actually enjoy the movie, it was just disappointing.
JenniB
Currently Reading: The Biology of Belief
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennib.html

Post by JenniB »

I haven't read the books yet but I want to and I will watch the films also. They are usually entertaining even if things have been changed but usually they are not as good as the books.
aquaticavioneous80

Post by aquaticavioneous80 »

One home for peculiar children is another's hobbit home.
v_payson

Post by v_payson »

I have read the books and seen the movie and greatly enjoyed both. Yes the movie was different from the books I enjoyed seeing the way the characters were portrayed in the movie. However saw the movie first which led me to read the books to learn more of the story. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed the movie as much if I had read the books first
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I'm always a little nervous when a good book gets turned into a movie. I enjoyed this book, but I'm not sure if I want to see the movie. I don't mind minor changes in film versions of books, but most of the time major overhauls annoy me.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
HerRoyalCuteness_J
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herroyalcuteness-j.html

Post by HerRoyalCuteness_J »

I read the first book and planning to read thw succeeding books. I watched the movie and was so sad when I saw the movie adaptation.
The book itself was already great why change it all.
Tamzen
Currently Reading: My True Love Gave to Me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamzen.html

Post by Tamzen »

Tim Burton made a ton of changes to the story, so if that bothers you, you probably won't enjoy it. I have read the book a couple times, and also watched the movie, but I still enjoy them both, just separately. Like you said, Emma and Olive's peculiarity's are switched, and there was also an emphasis on some characters in the movie that were not as included in the plot of the book. The climax and endings are completely different. But I understand why Tim Burton made the decisions he made. Sometimes things that will make a good book won't necessarily make a good movie. I think it's okay to accept and like a movie than doesn't follow the book perfectly sometimes. This is definitely one of the exceptions.
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

I have read the first book and I loved it!
I'm looking forward for the movie, though I'm not sure how I will feel with all the changes in there. Sometimes they are for the better, but other times, it makes it so different than the book... For sure it won't be what I was picturing when reading the book!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
ryne_57
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8806">Sick Puppy</a>
Currently Reading: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryne-57.html

Post by ryne_57 »

The movie was good in its own right as a standalone film. It was very much a Tim Burton movie and had his distinctive tone throughout. The characters seemed a little flat, but they did what they could with so many characters in a relatively short amount of time. However, as a book adaptation, it missed the mark with so many major changes to characters and plot points. While it may make for good cinema, it steers away from the author's intent.
reading_monsoon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-monsoon.html

Post by reading_monsoon »

Yes, I love this movie. Tim Burton is my favorite director.
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

I just watched the movie. I did not realize that Tim Burton was going to compress all three books into one movie. I didn't like it. I thought that a lot got lost and then ending was a little rushed because of that.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
Mandoysmoysoy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandoysmoysoy.html

Post by Mandoysmoysoy »

I haven't read the book yet, but it's in my queue. I will watch the movie simply because I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton.
DastenHero
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dastenhero.html

Post by DastenHero »

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the books.

(Spoilers ahead!)

Aside from Emma and Olive ' peculiarities being switched, ages changed and personalities differing, the movie was pretty close to the original book up until about half way through the movie.

After that, it felt like a silly, rushed mash of X-men with a touch of Pirates of the Caribbean set in a circus with villains that strongly reminded me of characters from both X-men and Batman.

(Spoilers end here!)
The book's ending is so much better than the film's messy (and also highly convenient) plot wrap-up , that I really wish they would just go back and remake this whole movie starting at the middle, and sticking with the book. I think if they did that, I would be buying this movie today.

Return to “Films and Books”