Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children movie yes or no?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
FrancesFloyd
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francesfloyd.html

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children movie yes or no?

Post by FrancesFloyd »

I have read all the books but I chose not to watch the movie because Tim Burton changed Emma and Olive's peculiarities. He added a character just so he can work with an actor and many other reasons but I wanted to know who is going to watch it and if not why are you not watching it.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I haven't yet read the books but they're on my to-read list. I didn't realize how many changes will be made for the movie. Since these changes seem big, unfortunately I don't think I will end up watching it.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I can't wait to see the movie. I know a lot has been changed, but I have a certain amount of tolerance where changes are concerned. Something almost always has to be changed. It's what gets changed, and whether or not I believe it needed to be changed/left out that makes or breaks it for me.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I'm a fan of Tim Burton, so I plan to watch it. I'm hoping it will still be a good movie, on its own, even with all the changes.
KaitlynRey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KaitlynRey »

I totally agree. I was so excited for the movie until I saw that Olive and Emma were switched. A part of me still wants to see the movie but I'm still hesitant. I love the books and I was so excited to see the movie when they announced that they were making one. Now I just don't know how the plot of the movie is going to work with Emma having Olive's peculiarities and vice versa.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I haven't seen the movie, but someone I know has. The thing is, I've read the book but not watched the movie, while she's watched the movie but not read the book! After sharing our opinions on each, we were pretty confused - mainly because of the switching of roles, as mentioned. However, she did say that the movie was amazing, so I hope that I can check it out!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
hartsocktr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartsocktr.html

Post by hartsocktr »

I just watched the movie. I have a motto about watching movies that have been derived from books, always watch it as a film, not for book accuracy. Tim Burton did an excellent job with the movie. However, tons of things changed. Personally, I enjoyed the film, even with the changes. If you are a reader, who doesn't like inaccuracies between the films and the book I suggest this one. However, if you just want to see the movie because you happen to like Tim Burton's stuff then see the film. The movie was good. I would see it again. However, the book is better. I hope this helps! :)
StephThyng
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephthyng.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by StephThyng »

I had to fight my way through the book at first(I've only read the first one), I found it to be a really hard read. However, I find Tim Burton to be a really good film producer, so I am looking forward to seeing this movie this weekend. I'm hoping that I'll like the movie better than the book for a change of pace, but that is yet to be determined. I'll check back with you!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Marie-S
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-s.html

Post by Marie-S »

I bought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children book almost a year ago and I was so excited when I saw they made it into a movie! I am a little skeptical about seeing it though because anytime I read the book then watch the movie I am always disappointed when they leave things out. However, Tim Burton is an amazing producer so I am 100% sure it will probably be a good film.
curious_daisy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curious-daisy.html

Post by curious_daisy »

I've yet to decide whether I want to watch the movie. What do you guys think?
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

I liked the books, and I was so excited to see that they were going to be movies. However, I became very very disappointed when I saw that Tim Burton was directing. I'm not a fan of his work, now more so that I know he switched Olive and Emma. I don't see how that was necessary.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

hartsocktr wrote:I just watched the movie. I have a motto about watching movies that have been derived from books, always watch it as a film, not for book accuracy. Tim Burton did an excellent job with the movie. However, tons of things changed. Personally, I enjoyed the film, even with the changes. If you are a reader, who doesn't like inaccuracies between the films and the book I suggest this one. However, if you just want to see the movie because you happen to like Tim Burton's stuff then see the film. The movie was good. I would see it again. However, the book is better. I hope this helps! :)

That is exactly how I feel about book to movie translations! I really enjoyed the film, too, even though it was not what I expected.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
Katt_04

Post by Katt_04 »

Most of the readers I know doesn't want to watch the movie because they say there were so much inaccuracies but I ignored that and still watched the movie and I personally enjoyed it.
KittenTJ

Post by KittenTJ »

The movie was great! The books are on To Read list.
I really enjoy books where the characters have extraordinary powers or talents!
escapingreality

Post by escapingreality »

I've read the first two books and plan on starting the second. However the movie didn't interest me. Changing their peculiarities did bother me a bit but it just didn't seem like the world I pictured in my head. After watching a few people review it and be a bit disappointed I'll probably just wait to rent it or for it to be on Netflix.

Return to “Films and Books”