Movie: Eragon (and the series)

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
mking0803
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mking0803.html

Movie: Eragon (and the series)

Post by mking0803 »

Hello! In desperate need of some insight. I've seen the movie Eragon and it made me interested enough to want to read the books. The movie however was.... Okay. But, I had mentioned to a few people who read the books that I wanted to as well and was curious for their opinions. They were very negative. I want more Illinois! Of course, I'll have to read them to know for sure but I haven't bought the books BC I'm struggling whether it'll be worth it out not. What was your opinion on the books?
kittychan198
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittychan198.html

Post by kittychan198 »

My younger sister used to be really into dragons from age 8-11. She loved those books. If you aren't sure about it just buy the first book from the thriftbooks website. Make sure you buy it used so if you don't like it you'll only have spent a couple of bucks. I also recommend buying at least 2 other books with it so you can get the free shipping (which you get when your order is over $10).
mking0803

Post by mking0803 »

Oh wow! Thank you.
kittychan198
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittychan198.html

Post by kittychan198 »

No problem! If im not sure about a series and if ill like it ill buy a cheap used copy and try it out. Its always good to try and branch out. Even if you dont like the book you might like the style of writing
mking0803

Post by mking0803 »

That's true, I never thought of that (:
slrowe1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slrowe1.html

Post by slrowe1 »

The first book was really good. Which is why the movie was such a disappointment. I'm part-way through the second book and It's still pretty good, but it's a little slow at times. I would definitely read the first book and see where it takes you! :-)
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

The series is great. The last book was the worst out of the 4 but the movie was absolutely terrible compared to the book, in my opinion.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Ria
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Ria »

I loved the books. I would agree that number four was a little long ava I didn't like certain twists but overall a good ending and an intricate story.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
meg_may
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by meg_may »

I liked the book series. It moved a little slow but I really liked how well developed the characters became throughout each book. It's not a series that I'll reread in all likeliness, but it was enjoyable.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

lacos2693 wrote:The series is great. The last book was the worst out of the 4 but the movie was absolutely terrible compared to the book, in my opinion.
I agree with you. The 4th book wasn't all that good. I barely finished half before giving up for somthing else. I did like the 1-3.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I love the Inheritance cycle. The movie did not do justice to the first to the book, Eragon. I agree that the fourth book did not live up to expectations, but I think the books are definitely worth a read.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I liked the movie, never knowing of the series, and being first introduced to it. I wanted to know what happened next. It kind of reminded me of DragonHeart a bit. After getting into the series, i realized that wow, it's better and they should have added more stuff to the movie.
Cin8685
Currently Reading: The Address
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cin8685.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Cin8685 »

A coworker just gave me the Eragon book this week! Since I am into HP and sci-if/fantasy type books. I wasn’t super excited when she gave it to me, is it for younger teens or would a 32 year old woman enjoy it?
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

The movie was great graphics and good but it strayed to far from the book. The books are wonderful and I really enjoyed them
They are worth reading
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

Eragon the book is the best fantasy series besides LoTR and Narnia that I have read! I actually haven't seen the movie, but I have read the entire series multiple times. From the trailer and from multiple people telling me about the movie, I would bet that the storyline of the movie only scratches the surface of the book's content, character development, and overall depth. I think you'll really enjoy them.

Return to “Films and Books”