The Percy Jackson Movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The Percy Jackson Movies

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I watched the movies before I read the books. My only complaint is not with the films themselves, but where are the rest of them. I want to see them all.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The movies are really dumbed down versions of the books. I kind of enjoyed the first one but the second movie was just silly.
Nick Rones
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

Amcdanel86 wrote:Agreed the books are way better then the movie. I have only seen the 1st one tho. The second one has be curious because it has nathan fillion in it. I like some of his other work

-- 19 Nov 2016, 19:55 --
alimsj827 wrote:Oh my goodness don't get me started on this! First of all, I completely agree with you, it was disappointing. And Annabeth Chase's hair? I know that seems like a silly thing to be upset about but golden curly hair was mentioned throughout the entire series! The books were so descriptive and magical and the movies just seemed to have a darkness to them.

This series was my life, I love it more than Harry Potter, I just am so sad that it never got the attention and praise it deserved. And the movies weren't even successful? I feel that if the movies were as good as the books with the color and detail and wondrous as the books, they would have done better.
I agree the Harry Potter movies are just as good as the books. but it is a bummer they didn't put peeves in the movies :lol:
I also only watched the first Percy Jackson movie and loved the books! The movie was a complete letdown. I think it is impossible to get any image and acting as good as it is in your imagination.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Taniatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taniatt.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Taniatt »

I have read all the books related to Percy Jackson. I was disappointed with the movies. It didn't have the spark or the addictive touch to it
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I loved percy jackosn. I haven't read the books but I watched the movie. I am eagerly waiting for more parts. I really loved the plot. it was rich and elegant. Very enjoyable
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Envision Tressy »

I think you didn't pay much attention to the movies as you did for the books, or you already made up your mind that the book is going to be better so in turn the movie didn't come out as exciting as it should have been
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
pparedes92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19969">The Land of Story</a>
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pparedes92 »

I am a big fan of the books, I read them all in a week. I was very disappointed on how the movies portrayed the books. So much detail wasn't mentioned or when a certain scene was suppose to be in the first film, it was included in the second film, which didn't make sense to me. The film seem to be rushed for me, and even though the books aren't huge, but it gives great detail to our imagination and picture every character vividly.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Some books are so detailed and involved that 2 or 3 movies can't do it justice. I would have preferred to see Percy Jackson in a series. Give me a whole season for each book. Even with shows there's only so much that can be put in reality and actually work.

I enjoyed the percy jackson movies for what they were, but I didn't compare it to the book. They always fall short everytime.
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

I think I watched one of the movies, I didn't know there were others...
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Movies were terrible and didn't have the same plot. My friend's daughter was supposed to do a book report on the lightning thief. She watched the movie here and then her mom gave me the report. She was grounded for 2 weeks.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

Sounds like a lot of people have the same view as I do....I wrote an essay in an English class about book-to-film adaptations and used PJatO as a prime example of what should not be happening to a book. I think most of the things I have problems with have been mentioned in this thread already, but it's the specific details of the storyline change are what annoyed me the most. Changing the Great Prophecy to make it "reach twenty-one against the odds" and turning the Ares plot into a collect-three-pearls quest? I mean, please. I knew the whole series inside and out before I watched the movies and I was disgusted.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

The books are better than the movie, however I still love the movies a lot.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I read the books, I was slightly disappointed by the movies, but they did their best. So I am not overly mad.
charmel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by charmel »

:) I have read a Percy Jackson book and what I have observe is that it is really good and very exciting to read. . I really love using my imagination while reading it. . the excitement it gives me makes me feel that I was part if the story. . Specially when there are fight scenes it really gives thrills to the readers. . I love the movies too because I am able to see the characters and I got to see people moving but reading a book is much more better cause again it is much more exciting when using imagination while reading the book at the same time😊
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by aliceriddle »

Books will always be better than movies, however I still enjoyed watching the movies.

Return to “Films and Books”