Me Before You Movie - Thoughts?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
lm1024
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lm1024.html

Re: Me Before You Movie - Thoughts?

Post by lm1024 »

This is one of my all-time favorite books. I couldn't put it down which is why my husband woke up to me hysterically bawling my eyes at 3am. This book is amazing. I was so excited about the movie and I was not disappointed. For starters, I really enjoyed the actors and actresses in the movie so that was a point in my book. I must say I am not a cryer when it comes to movies. I actually am not much for watching movies as it is, but I loved this movie. I cried and cried the first time I saw it. Then I watched it a second time with my sister and still cried. I laughed so hard because she cried hysterically and so did her husband. I am so glad that they turned this into a movie. I don't typically like book-to-movies for the actual movie itself. Usually, I only like them because they keep my characters alive after the book, but I really enjoyed this movie.
viennablackdale1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viennablackdale1.html

Post by viennablackdale1 »

Me Before You was a heartbreaking book and movie! Whilst reading the book I believed there was a chance, because things were seemingly going better and perhaps he had changed his mind. But of course not. So the movie, I loved that they didn't change anything, but I also didn't at the same time. I kind of wanted to see Louise get a happy ending, not a heartbreaking one. But then again it made me cry just like the book before it and I loved the reality of it all.
StefanieAH
Currently Reading: Midnight Kisses: An Erotic Friends-with-Benefits Sports Romance
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by StefanieAH »

I loved the book and I think the movie was pretty good too, but the book touched me so much more than the movie and I think it's because in the book you just get better insight in how the protagonist is feeling and what she's thinking and sometimes I think those parts are missing from the movies - I meaning they can't possibly add things like that to movies, which is why I like books more. But the movie was well made.
ollesternberg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ollesternberg »

Ugh.. one of the sweetest movies i've watched everrrr. it made me crya lot seriously
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

seen the movie, it was heart breaking. well played. maybe the book will make me cry more.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I actually enjoyed both the book and the movie. I thought that the movie followed the book pretty closely, maybe leaving out just one or two things. Although I would have preferred a different ending to the book and the movie, it was a very interesting story line and I got wrapped up in it very easily. One thing about the movie that I liked better than the book is that they left out the usage of the "f" word. That's more of a personal preference for me though, I just don't like that type of language, I find it to be unnecessary. Both were very good in my opinion. I plan to read After you very soon, hopefully that one will be just as good.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

I did not read the book yet, but i found the movie overly dramatic. :(
Shake Raymundo
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Shake Raymundo »

Well... I am not that impressed. Maybe because I expected a lot. The teaser was cute. Or maybe I just don't feel the ending.
annadorina
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by annadorina »

so much tears
Cinnamon-Paige
Currently Reading: the little friend
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamon-paige.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Cinnamon-Paige »

Reading the book left me so emotionally raw that I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the movie. I went to the cinema with the intent of watching but then I remembered how I felt during and after reading the scene where he dies and I just couldn't go see it...I just couldn't...
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

Haven't seen the movie yet. I was going to watch it primarily for Emilia Carke and Sam Claiflin, but the story seems interesting too! Looking forward to it.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I really hated this book, to be honest, so I never saw the movie. I reviewed this for a client just prior to the movie release, so by that point, the book was already pretty popular. I thought I was in for a good read, but I just could not find anything likeable about it. The guy was a jerk (understandably miserable in his condition, but still an unfavorable disposition does not make a romantic hero) and the girl was morose. I found their attraction to each other to be completely unrealistic, not because of his disability, but because of their respective personalities. In the end, I found I didn't care what decision he made with regards to his future and probably would not have even finished reading if it hadn't been a review. Of course, many others seemed to have really liked the book (obviously, since it led to a sequel of which I also reviewed and did not like), so I guess it's just not my personal taste.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

This is one that I actually loved the book and the movie. I don't remember having a dry eye through the whole thing. The movie left out a lot of details but I still loved it.
Ali B
Currently Reading: The tree of yoga
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ali-b.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00MHI0QGQ

Post by Ali B »

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!

I haven't seen the film but I have read the book and I really loved it...until the end! I just could not get my head around how the author could end the story in such a way. I felt it displayed a completey flawed understanding of human psychology and was quite simply wrong on every level. The male character, while being a bit of a self centred arse -and understandably so given his circumstances - had so very much going for him he would've absolutely never made the choices he made at the end of the story. It made for a dramatic and very sad ending, however, completely and utterly unrealistic. Having spent a number of years with a friend in a very similar situation and with some psychology experience I found the entire end to be completely unbelievable and disappointing.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

I haven't watched the movie in full yet but I've seen the thriller and right away I got interested watching it. But I'm going to save my excitement for it. I want to read first the book before indulging to its romance and drama-filled movie version.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Return to “Films and Books”