GONE GIRL - A Movie Review

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
reenuj
Bookshelf Size: 0

GONE GIRL - A Movie Review

Post by reenuj »

Gone Girl is a 2014 psychological thriller based on the novel of the same name by Gillian Flynn. This myster and suspense, drama movie directed by David Fincher has been called ''dark, intelligent and stylish to a fault'' by critics. The cast includes Ben Affleck as Nick Dunne, Rosamund Pike as Amy Dunne, while Tyler Perry, Neil Patrick Harris, David Clennon and Carrie Croon potray other major characters. On the fifth wedding anniversary of Nick and Amy Dunne, Nick comes home from the bar he and his sister, Margo own to find Amy missing. Being the inspiration for her parents' popular ''Amazing Amy'' children's books, finding Amy becomes the primary goal of the media. An investigation under Detective Rhonda Boney as well as Nick's awkward behaviour arouses the suspscion that Nick is guilty. Later, it turns out that Amy is alive, having framed Nick all along as their failed marriage has made her despise him. However, after Nick appears on a talk show and talks about her, she changes her mind and returns, claiming that Desi, her ex-boyfriend had kidnapped and abused her. Though Boney questions her, the FBI sides with Amy. She later tells Nick the entire truth, saying that she wants him to be the Nick he was on the talk show. Nick shares this with Margo, Boney and his lawyer, Bolt, but they have no way of proving Amy guilty. Amy then reveals she is pregnant, having artificially inseminated herself. The movie ends with Nick being forced to stay married to her as he feels responsible for the child. This psychological thriller is the kind of movie that haunts you for a while, making you think. It brings out another side of marriage and raises a question : ''should you ever trust anyone?''. Gone Girl really is a must- watch movie.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I still much prefer the book over the movie, but as far as movies go I did think this was an excellent adaptation. It kept up the suspense and mystery all throughout the film and the actors that were chosen were really great picks as well.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I liked the movie. Do I have to see it multiple times? No. I would like to read the book, though.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I liked the movie that makes me want to read the book even more. Just can't find an e-book copy but definitely on my must read list.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I wish I read the book before watching the movie. It would have made a lot of more sense.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

Gillian Flynn is a wonderful writer. I've read all her books and enjoyed each one. She is a writer from the area where I live so I chose to watch the movie too. Knowing what was coming may have taken away from the movie experience but I still enjoyed it. I would recommend reading her other books as well.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I still haven't seen this movie, but after reading the book, I wouldn't want to. The book was fantastic and I know the movie will ruin it for me.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I liked the movie but it does not give me the drive to read the book. Once I have watched the movie and I appreciated it, I don't want to ruin it by knowing that the book is a hell lot better. I had this experience in harry potter books so I don't want to go the same experience again. It's hard to get through it.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I liked the movie but it does not give me the drive to read the book. Once I have watched the movie and I appreciated it, I don't want to ruin it by knowing that the book is a hell lot better. I had this experience in harry potter books so I don't want to go the same experience again. It's hard to get through it.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
Aisha namawejje

Post by Aisha namawejje »

The movie brings it out all. So am satisfied with what the movie revealed though would want to read the book just to compare the art..
Gibson maina

Post by Gibson maina »

am satisfied with the movie...hope to read the book
Ifeanychukwu2050
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ifeanychukwu2050 »

from the storyline so far the movie is very good l would like see the movie one day
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I loved the movie. I especially liked the part where she talks about "The cool girl".
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

I actually watched the movie before I read the book. The movie was so engaging I just had to read the book to figure out what went on in Amy's head. The reviews were basically worshipping the unreliable narration so I had to see for myself and I was not disappointed.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I didn't know there was a book version of the movie! I liked the movie a lot, although I still think it's overrated.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.

Return to “Films and Books”