Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
simicartan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Would You Choose To Never See The Film?

Post by simicartan »

why not? I mean the movie is another way the story is conveyed so i think i will give both the book and the movie a try so i can have a better perspective on both.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I refused to see any LOTR film for years because I did not think that the films would ever live up to the books. I finally gave in when my husband wanted to re-watch them and played the, "How do you know they are bad if you have not tried them?" card. I found them to be better than expected, but still nothing on the books.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I'll still go and see the movie, I just have to lower my expectations, especially if I've already read the book. I think directors will always have their own interpretation of a book and that's always fun to see (for me anyway).
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

When we read a book we picturize characters differently and movie director take it differently. Mostly they spoil the whole charm of the fascinating characters and that is often disappointing.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I'd rather see the movie, some movie outdo the book. for example, forrest Gump.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I did with 50 shades of grey movies. The books creeped me out enough .
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I love movies. I love books. I don't usually love movies based on books, but because I love the source material, I will often go see it.

There is only one adaptation in film or on TV that I like better than the books. That is Game of Thrones.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Thebooknerd24 wrote: 15 Jul 2016, 10:46 This year I have gone back and read more books in which I saw the movie first and it got me thinking about the film vs. the book. Almost all book lovers will say after seeing the movie version that the book was better and it almost always is. I started to wonder if seeing the movie was even worth it anymore because more often than not I walk out of the theater feeling a little dissapointed with how the director took the film. I've been considering making a promise to myself (silly as that sounds) to never see the movie version. This decision was solidified when I saw the previews for "The Longest Ride" and could already tell through the previews alone that the movie got the story line all wrong and the actress they chose for the female lead was all wrong. The book allows you to think up your own ideas on how the characters look like and movies always get it wrong and they take away from it. I apologize for the long rant but I have been disappointed too many times.
I completely agree with you. Sometimes I'll read a book, and when I sit down to watch the movie, the characters are way off. Physical features, personality and quirks, dropped or added characters, the director's re-plot... It taints the experience of reading the book, because when you go to read it again, the movie pops in your head. Instead of enjoying the read, you're mentally critiquing the movie and thinking, "You should have followed the damn book!" It's a total let-down. And then you feel guilty for the author, wondering if they're just as upset.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

After reading the 50 shades of grey, I made a decision to never see the movie. The book was bad enough.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I agree with the decision to not see the movie. It could potentially room a wonderful experience you've had with this story. I do the same thing with both books that I have a special connection to and I also refuse to watch sequels to movies that are special to me. I'm worried a poor movie or sequel will taint my perfect experience.
melel_jo
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melel-jo.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by melel_jo »

I didn't see Ender's Game or If I Stay because I knew I would be disappointed. But in general, I'll see the movie. Some of my favorite adaptations are ones that take a more general stance, such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
tirionmorganna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirionmorganna.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Manaholic by P. Pierre

Post by tirionmorganna »

As someone who is about to study film at university, no I wouldn't, if they make a bad adaptation I see that as something to learn from, and as a reader I love it when the do get it right, I mean the how Marvel Cinematic Universe is an adaptation.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I've never opted out of a movie based on a book yet. I'm always interested in seeing how it's different, even though I know most times that it is going to let me down.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

The Help and Ender's Game are both prime examples of a great book and not so great movie.
rnmitchell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rnmitchell.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by rnmitchell »

I completely agree! With few exceptions the movie is almost always disappointing. Fight Club and Shawshank Redemption are okay adaptations.

Return to “Films and Books”