Room

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
gracedellis_
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 2

Room

Post by gracedellis_ »

I recently saw the film Room, though I haven't read the book (sacrilege, I know!). Now that I've seen the movie, however, I'm hesitant to read the book, as I have a clear and specific idea in my mind as to the story, the characters, etc, etc...I know in general, the consensus is book first, then movie, but if someone has seen a movie adaptation first, do you recommend still reading the book? I wonder if reading the book version of a movie would be helpful for someone who didn't enjoy the film, but perhaps a non-essential for someone who loved a movie version. Thoughts?
AutumnPhillips
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by AutumnPhillips »

Hi there! :) I just watched "Room" a few days ago, and I haven't read the book either (mostly because of the one book series that I love so much I've read it over and over for the past 7 years...). I truly, whole-heartedly believe that the (original) books are always, ALWAYS, better than ANY adaptations (ESPECIALLY TV show adaptations...). If you want to learn who the original characters truly are, reading the book/books is the ONLY way to learn about them! So, if you should read the book or not really depends on whether or not you love the characters enough to want to get to know them :) Because the books are, 99% of the time, COMPLETELY different from their respective movie or TV show adaptations!
Kiara123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kiara123 »

I've watched the movie and read the book - not in that order though :P

According to me, the book (as always) is much better and deeper than the movie. What I felt while reading the book was immensely missing in the movie. I didn't enjoy watching it at all, honestly. I suggest you to read the book, maybe after a while when the movie isn't fresh in your mind.
cleomliddle00
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cleomliddle00 »

I read the book but haven't watched the movie. The book is packed with the emotional punch and occasional humour. I loved the book
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I watched the movie but I didn't know it was a book in the first place lol :D anyway, I did not like the movie so I don't think I'll read the book.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I have never seen the movie but I do know that sometimes the book can be better than the movie, sometimes the book can be worse then making you not want to watch the movie again. I think it's a toss up.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

I would still read it to compare i guess! My friend has read this book and reccommended it to me. I havent read it yet but would like to!
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I loved that book, it was so sad. I didn't know there was a movie I'm going to have to look for it now. Definitely read the book though.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I've seen the movie already but not yet read the book. I love the movie and I'm mostly impressed by the excellent acting skills of both the actors: mother and son. While watching the movie, both actors made me live in their own little world, and made me feel how terrible it was to be in their shoes.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Room is incredibly sad and scarier than any horror movie. It's particularly interesting how the narrative goes beyond the typical ending point of these kinds of movies. There are a lot of ramifications of what the mother and son went through, but the news stories don't usually tell this side.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Room is a fantastic novel, one that I couldn't put down until I finished it. I know the movie wouldn't do it justice, so I skipped it. It just wouldn't capture the depth the author used to portray exactly what this mother had to go through.
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

I have read the book first before watching the movie. I loved them both since the story didn't change much.
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

Read the book. Both the movie and the book are great. We get more of the perspective of Jack in the book.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I watched the movie a long time ago. It’s so sad how messed up people can be.

Return to “Films and Books”