The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

Post by ebeth »

I watched the movie The Horse Whisperer when it first came out. I then read the book and I have to say I felt that I liked the movie better then the book. After that I started reading the books first before watching the movies if I heard about them ahead of time.
Last edited by gali on 03 Jul 2016, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added author name
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I've read the book a long time ago and i liked it. I have yet to see the movie. I might have to do that this weekend if i can find it online.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

The movie is good, I will admit I liked the movie better than the book. Part of the movie is taken place in a small town called Melville located in Montana. I am from Montana and am familiar with the area it is very beautiful. The church is filmed there and quite a bit of background country. I also made the mistake of reading the book after the movie but I didn't know at the time when I was younger that there was a book before the movie. I will be curious to know how you like the movie. Also if you are not familiar with small towns Melville is incredibly small so when you see it in the movie you are probably going to question Where is the town? It does have a Post Office so it is considered a town.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

At the time the movie came out I was experiencing the same kind of trauma the heroine was. I left the theatre with my heart bleeding and angry. It was so unrealistic and stupid! A few years later I read the book and it was better, but was not written by someone who had experienced and understood that kind of trauma.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

I loved the Horse Whisperer (film). It showed us that we could take a different route in the way we treated horses. There is so much suffering out there in the horse world. I have two cobs and I always remember the film. It encouraged me to think about my attitude, the way I interacted with my ponies and made me see the world through their eyes. My girls are bitless, whipless and barefoot (no nails knocked through their hooves). They are healthy and happy. I never did read the book.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

I didn't read the book and probably wouldn't now I've seen the film. I always make a point of reading a book before the film comes out (if indeed there is a film). One book that was ruined for me was Chocolat by Joanne Harris. I saw the film first and cannot get those images out of my head no matter how many years pass. I just cannot read the book even though I know it's better!

Return to “Films and Books”