Book series turned movie. BUT never finished!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Book series turned movie. BUT never finished!

Post by batkinson6490 »

I must say.. I love the Vampire Academy books. Also Bloodlines. But I am SUPER disappointed that they did not finish the movies. I enjoyed the first movie more than I thought I would but I am sad not more are following!!

Any one else have this happen? Obviously Firefly shouldn't have been canceled but any other series that you wish would have been made into more movies?
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
greenzelda
Currently Reading: Wolf Hall
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenzelda.html

Post by greenzelda »

Personally I feel quite betrayed by what happened with the 'His Dark Materials' movie adaptation, 'The Golden Compass'.
The book series is very near and dear to my heart and I was looking forward to a sequel but after 10+ years I can safely assume that there won't be a new film entry. (I saw the movie adaptation before diving into the books btw).

I also felt very cheated by the latest 'Chronicles of Narnia' movie. Ugh, the Dawn Treader was always my least favourite of the stories, but I'm still mad about how much of the book was cut from the film... They weren't very faithful to it... Which annoyed me greatly, since they did such a wonderful job with 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'

I leave you with one word.
'Eragon'.

-- 26 May 2016, 09:32 --

Personally I feel quite betrayed by what happened with the 'His Dark Materials' movie adaptation, 'The Golden Compass'.
The book series is very near and dear to my heart and I was looking forward to a sequel but after 10+ years I can safely assume that there won't be a new film entry. (I saw the movie adaptation before diving into the books btw).

I also felt very cheated by the latest 'Chronicles of Narnia' movie. Ugh, the Dawn Treader was always my least favourite of the stories, but I'm still mad about how much of the book was cut from the film... They weren't very faithful to it... Which annoyed me greatly, since they did such a wonderful job with 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'

I leave you with one word.
'Eragon'.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

Ehh I feel you! I don't like how some aspects are left out of movies when they are turned. Like in Harry Potter, they left out S.P.E.W! I love the house elves so much and would have loved to see more of them as well as Winky! And another of my favorites, Peeves!! While they aren't super important to the main story, I still wish we could have seen them.
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I agree about the His Dark Materials series. The books were fantastic and the movie adaption of The Golden Compass was so disappointing. I really wish the series had gotten the movies that is deserved.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

I loved the Spiderwick movie but the rest of the books were never carried over to the screen. It was such a great adventure movie and it seemed so enchanting. I would definitely watch a sequel!

-- 26 May 2016, 18:23 --

Also, this movie hasn't come out yet, but I am hoping that it doesn't fall into this category when all is said and done, but Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children is a spectacular YA book. I truly hope they do the whole series as a movie because I think the story is terrific. It's such a good book, though!
greenzelda
Currently Reading: Wolf Hall
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenzelda.html

Post by greenzelda »

Oh yeah! I've heard of that. I've seen the trailer for it, and I have to say I'm intrigued. I'll have to read the actual book too :-)

RE: House Elves
Winky was such a sweet little thing! I'm so sad she was left out :'(

Spiderwick was also a fascinating movie.. I have no idea why they didn't carry on with them. It seems that there's a trend when it comes to the movie adaptations.

OH AND ANOTHER ADAPTATION THAT REALLY DIDN'T LIVE UP TO THE HYPE WAS 'Child 44'. (Which isn't a YA novel, but it's such a good book). Even Tom Hardy couldn't save that one...
They left out so much... It was so weak.

-- 27 May 2016, 05:14 --

Oh yeah! I've heard of that. I've seen the trailer for it, and I have to say I'm intrigued. I'll have to read the actual book too :-)

RE: House Elves
Winky was such a sweet little thing! I'm so sad she was left out :'(

Spiderwick was also a fascinating movie.. I have no idea why they didn't carry on with them. It seems that there's a trend when it comes to the movie adaptations.

OH AND ANOTHER ADAPTATION THAT REALLY DIDN'T LIVE UP TO THE HYPE WAS 'Child 44'. (Which isn't a YA novel, but it's such a good book). Even Tom Hardy couldn't save that one...
They left out so much... It was so weak.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I am with Greenzelda about the Narnia series. The third movie could have been done better, and I am greatly disappointed that they didn't finish the series. The books are so popular, and even with its shortcomings, I find it hard to believe that Dawn Treader's lack of faithfulness to the book "killed" the film adaptations. If the Harry Potter movies could survive the cinematic butchering of Prisoner of Azkaban, then surely enough people would be forgiving enough to keep watching any subsequent Narnia films.

Oh, and like others here, I would have also loved to see more Spiderwick movies.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html

Post by P_hernandez »

I agree about the Narnia series. I loved the first installment (even fell in love with the soundtrack) but by the end of all of the movies I just didn't care anymore. I felt the same way about the Lemony Snickett movie. I liked it okay at the start of the film, but toward the end of it I was like "meh."
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I series that I wanted more from was the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. They made the movie for Eragon in 2006, but nothing ever came from the series. I would have liked to seen this series finished.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Endlessbooks14
Currently Reading: Uranium Drive-In
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endlessbooks14.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Endlessbooks14 »

The Mortal Instruments, I loved the first movie but since the sales were not great they cancelled the rest of the movies. This made me wonder how movies like Divergent and the Maze Runner are still going on when good series such as Vampire Academy and the Mortal Instruments movie adaptions are not finished. :evil:
km4785a
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-km4785a.html

Post by km4785a »

I was upset about the Vampire Academy too! I loved the quirky humor with the characters. I felt the romance side of the plot line was left hanging and was hoping for more installments.
Bill
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bill.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson

Post by Bill »

I have heard that they are restarting the Narnia series with what is arguably the best book in the series, the Silver Chair. I really liked that series so I hope it does well this time around. Of course I love all the books.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

This happened to Percy Jackson! Of course, the movies were so bad that honestly I'm grateful, but at the same time I do wish they had followed the actual storyline and continued with the series.
ramydul11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 263

Post by ramydul11 »

I feel the same way about The Vampire Academy. I liked the books and I wanted to watch the movies. Even though the movie wasn't that great, the sequel could've been better. I at least liked the actors.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

This also happened with Cassandra Clare's series The Mortal Instruments as it was made into a movie but they never made movies for the rest. Considering the movie wasn't as good as the first book, it's not that much of a loss. However, they did start up a series that also goes off the books and that's still going on.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Return to “Films and Books”