Book series turned movie. BUT never finished!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Re: Book series turned movie. BUT never finished!

Post by Lauren M »

The Mortal Instruments was made into a TV show, which I kindof like since they are able to explain and do more with the story, than a two hour movie. It's a little odd watching the movie and then transitioning to the TV show since it's the same story, just tweaked. Honestly, I am biting my nails waiting to see what/if they will do for The Infernal Devices trilogy. It is by far my favorite and I am prepared to start writing hatemail to the big studios if they mess up Tessa's story.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

There are a lot of shows that I enjoyed that didn't make it out of their first season.

Touching Evil
Birds of Prey
Good vs Evil
The Traveler

These shows probably just didn't come out at the right time, their themes weren't popular, or they were on the wrong channel/ day.

Birds of Prey, came out before most of the TV series and before the Marvel and DC movies. Superheroes weren't around except for Smallville.

The traveler had such a unique story of a man who was a domestic terrorist and framed his roommates. They can't find a picture of him anywhere to prove his identity and they are left as fall guys.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

This is currently happening with the House of Night series. It's been 'in development' for years now and it's really irritating me as well as a James Patterson series I really enjoyed but can't think of the name at the moment. They released the first movie but have yet to finish the rest.

Witches of Eastend was the biggest disappointment. They just canceled the tv show and left literally EVERYTHING at a cliffhanger. But yet our fantastic hollywood can do no better than making remakes that don't need to be remade.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I really wish that the Percy Jackson movies had been better and that they would've done all five
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

I love Shadowhunters. I think it's... a bit more well made than the movie was and while the tv show doesn't follow The Mortal Instruments exactly, it seems closer than the movie somehow? I hope they do make The Infernal Devices, it'd be interesting to see what they'd do with it. Maybe a spinoff series from Shadowhunters?

I was really irritated when they didn't make a second season of The Secret Circle (and it may be a crime to admit this here but I actually liked the show better than the book).
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I did not like the Vampire Academy movie, so I wasn't too disappointed about that one; however, I am still extremely upset the the Chronicles of Narnia was never completed in film as a series.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
espicer4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by espicer4life »

The Divergent Series. They made all but the very last one for the second half of the last book Allegiant. It has driven me crazy that they quit at that point.
HedgeWitch
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by HedgeWitch »

I read the book series Maze Runner by James Dashner. Then the movies came out. The movie was good but I was really bored I felt like I already knew what was happening and I got more joy out of reading the books. I only watched the first movie and decided not to watch the rest of the series. One day I might just to see if anything changes since it has been a while since I have read the books.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I can think of two series off the top of my head that movies weren't finished for--The Golden Compass and Percy Jackson. Honestly, I didn't think the Percy Jackson movies were fantastic, but I wouldn't have minded more. The Golden Compass was a good movie, but it seemed like they set it up not to make the rest of the series into films, which is disappointing.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Now that I think about it, the recent adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time didn't leave all its doors open for the rest of the Time Quintet. One of the books features Meg's younger twin brothers in the lead, and those characters weren't even in the movie. Guess it would be tough to bring them in later if they never existed. Oh well.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

Like many people I am extremely glad that they stopped butchering the Percy Jackson Series by turning it into movies. Honestly I'm pretty easy going when it comes to book to movie adaptions and I can usually realize the reason for certain plot changes and creative freedom when it comes to making a book transfer onto the big screen, but Percy Jackson was just ridiculous! They basically changed the entire plot, characters ages, and even personalities. Really the only thing they kept were the characters names. I can easily see why Rick Riordan is so bitter towards the movie industry based on book to movie adaptions.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I’m a big fan of the “Vampire Academy” book series by Richelle Mead that when they finally made it into a movie, I was initially thrilled by the idea of finally watching my favorite characters in the story come to life thru the big screen. However, it gave me great disappointment that they turned a fantastic story into a crappy one. Also, all the actors in the movie aren't suitable for their designated characters. In other words, the movie just ruined a marvelous book. For me, it's a good thing that they didn't continue the second installment of the movie coz it may ruin the book's great reputation all the more.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Endlessbooks14 wrote: 06 Jul 2016, 20:33 The Mortal Instruments, I loved the first movie but since the sales were not great they cancelled the rest of the movies. This made me wonder how movies like Divergent and the Maze Runner are still going on when good series such as Vampire Academy and the Mortal Instruments movie adaptions are not finished. :evil:

The Mortal Instruments also came first in my mind.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Eragon comes first to mind. That movie could have been better but they could have finished the series.
Also the Chronicles of Narnia. Would love to see the Horse and His Boy made into a movie.
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto »

The Chronicles of Narnia, Vampire Academy, The Mortal Instruments (later turned into a tv show, though), and Divergent!

I don’t know what was up in Divergent. I knew there were splitting Allegiant into two movies but the fourth movie for the franchise didn’t come out? Allegiant was like half finished. They haven’t even gotten to the part where I cried like hell. Like, you’re almost there! Why didn’t you finish!

Return to “Films and Books”