Book series turned movie. BUT never finished!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Book series turned movie. BUT never finished!

Post by Lil Reads »

batkinson6490 wrote: 26 May 2016, 09:41 Ehh I feel you! I don't like how some aspects are left out of movies when they are turned. Like in Harry Potter, they left out S.P.E.W! I love the house elves so much and would have loved to see more of them as well as Winky! And another of my favorites, Peeves!! While they aren't super important to the main story, I still wish we could have seen them.
With Peeves, I seem to remember they originally did film some parts with actor Rik Mayall (and apparently he was so hilarious the younger actors kept laughing and had to calm down for another take), but the scenes got cut.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Also, with Chronicles of Narnia the worst part for me was the fact this was the second time this happened! The BBC did a three TV film set, with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as the first then they combined Prince Caspian with Voyage of the Dawn Treader for the second, and ended with Silver Chair as the third.

I think what really ended the more recent film series was the weird release schedule - the first was a winter release, the second spring/summer, and the third was originally scheduled for a spring/summer then moved to winter plus Disney left the project during the production of the third. This schedule, unfortunately, meant sometimes the films were competing with Harry Potter films. While the entire HP series is well known, LWW is the main one people know and the HP series is a direct chronological story, the same is not true of Narnia, especially when there are three different possible reading orders given for Narnia - writing, publication, and chronological.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I was always upset that they never finished the A Series of Unfortunate Events series. Also, they muddled up the first 3 books to make the film, so a scene from the end of book 1 happens at the end of the film which should actually be the end of book 3. I always loved those books as a child and when they announced the film I was really looking forward to seeing them on the big screen, especially the later books.
I guess they're trying to make up for it with the Netflix series but I'm yet to watch that so I can't make any judgements
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

The Percy Jackson series which could have been amazing if they adapted the book better but I’m still hoping they might start making more movies again because I love the story & Logan Lerman as Percy.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I also forgot to add the Immortal Instruments because I love the first movie but they then turned it into a tv series. I liked the actors in the movie better than the tv series.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

Mortal instruments, the vampire academy, and beautiful creatures.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

I would've loved to see Eragon be continued or maybe remade in the future. That's if some other studio would still want it. Not losing hope though.
Lorixann
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorixann.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lorixann »

Harley-Panda wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 08:58 I was always upset that they never finished the A Series of Unfortunate Events series. Also, they muddled up the first 3 books to make the film, so a scene from the end of book 1 happens at the end of the film which should actually be the end of book 3. I always loved those books as a child and when they announced the film I was really looking forward to seeing them on the big screen, especially the later books.
I guess they're trying to make up for it with the Netflix series but I'm yet to watch that so I can't make any judgements
I've seen the Netflix series. It's pretty good - it follows the books pretty closely (at least from what I can remember from the books themselves - it's been a long while since I've read A Series of Unfortunate Events). Right now there are 2 seasons of the show - with the third (and said to be final season) releasing in early 2019. It'll be interesting to how/where they bring the series to a close. =)

Anyways, in my opinion it's worth a watch. Way better than the sorry excuse of a movie from 2004. =)
lildallface
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lildallface »

I'm actually fairy upset with Stephanie Meyer, she promised more books around the Twilight series and never delivered. I guess some of the chapters were leaked and she was pi**ed and decided to say screw it.
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

lildallface wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 16:13 I'm actually fairy upset with Stephanie Meyer, she promised more books around the Twilight series and never delivered. I guess some of the chapters were leaked and she was pi**ed and decided to say screw it.
I recently heard that she's now working on another new series (not the one you mentioned) that would focus on Jacob and Renesmee! She's only hinted at it briefly though, stating she's just finished the outline. However, I'm really hoping she continues with it and gets it published!!! I don't know if I'd want it to be adapted to film though, since Taylor Lautner is permanently scarred onto my brain as Jacob and I don't think I could see anybody else playing him.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Did they ever finish the Divergent movies or did they just decide to change the ending in the movies? Also I quite enjoyed the movie adaption of The City of Ember and thought they might continue on, but they never did. The Maximum Ride movie was horrible and I was actually quite relieved they never made anymore movies, but I would watch a new adaption if one was ever made. I hope one day they made a TV show of Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files!

(I apologise at the amount of information and lack of cohesive sentences above)
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Percy Jackson movies are very disappointing and not at all in par with the books. Moreover, the series was never completed and the last movie just wrapped the story without following the book.
taymacae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by taymacae »

I was always so sad that they never made another Percy Jackson movie. They stopped after the 2nd movie even though the actors had signed a three movie contract. I feel like the reason they weren’t so popular was becuase in the books they are much younger like how in Harry Potter they start off pretty young however in the movie they’re already teenagers. I wish someone would redo these movies trying harder to cast at an appropriate age. The Percy’s Jackson series I thought always had the potential of what Harry Potter became.
Laarmyartist
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 33
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Laarmyartist »

Narnia and Eragon are definitely top of the list for movie adaptations that didn't quite meet the standard, but were never given the chance to improve.

I personally thought that Spiderwick and the Series of Unfortunate Events movie did a fair job adapting from the books, in that they weren't sure they'd be given a sequel in the first place or thought that the first book of each series respectively didn't have much material for a full movie.

Near and dear to my heart is the Inkheart movie, which I liked and am saddened that we never got the rest of the series!

Does the Dresden Files TV show count for this thread? They only had one season, and I was very disappointed they never got to get around to some of the later books.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I agree with Batkinson I wished they finished the vampire academy books and even though the movie was different to what I expected I wished they completed that series and they left it on a cliff hanger of course!!! I might have to reread the books again. I also wished they had finished Eragon and I am Number four because they were fantastic books and the first movies where really good, so I just wished they continued. 😩

Return to “Films and Books”