What lesser-known film or hidden gem do you believe deserves more recognition and why?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Icon What lesser-known film or hidden gem do you believe deserves more recognition and why?

Post by Nancy004 »

So, I recently stumbled upon this documentary called "Shirkers," and let me tell you, it wasn't just your run-of-the-mill doc. It was a masterpiece! But the thing is, nobody seems to know about it where I'm from. It got me thinking, you know? There must be loads of other hidden gems out there, all lost and forgotten because they never got the love they deserved.

That's why I'm here, reaching out to you. I wanna know what underrated movies and TV shows you think deserve way more attention. Let's create a great list of recommendations we can turn to whenever we're in need of something awesome to watch. So spill the beans, my friends! What are some underrated flicks and series that you think more people should be getting their eyes on?
BB8_Rey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BB8_Rey »

A movie I loved as a kid called "Monster Under The Bed"

In America it was titled "Little Monsters".

A boy befriends a Monster called Maurice, who climbed up from a whole world from under the boys bed. It is a true adventure and it perfectly taps into the fears and imaginations of children. I was captivated by this film when I was little. I have never met anyone else who has seen it so it definitely qualifies as a hidden gem๐Ÿ˜‰

A New Zealand film called "Show Of Hands" is about people who enter one of those stamina competition's.

I will see if I can find a link to watch it. It is quirky and adorableโค๏ธ
BB8_Rey

Post by BB8_Rey »

It says it is online rentable here though I am not sure if it would work internationally ๐Ÿ˜…

https://ondemand.nzfilm.co.nz/film/show-of-hands/
BB8_Rey

Post by BB8_Rey »

Since you like documentaries, Please check out "Pecking Order" A New Zealand doco about showing chickens. I saw it at a film festival and it is hilarious ๐Ÿ˜‚ Everyone in the cinema was cracking up. I have taken a chicken to a show before so I found it very relatable haha

Options for watching here

https://www.google.com/search?q=pecking ... e&ie=UTF-8
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

The Princess Bride is an absolute gem. With its memorable one-liners and hilarious characters, it is a movie I feel everyone should watch. The book is also just as entertaining.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nancy004 »

BB8_Rey wrote: โ†‘29 May 2023, 16:09 A movie I loved as a kid called "Monster Under The Bed"

In America it was titled "Little Monsters".

A boy befriends a Monster called Maurice, who climbed up from a whole world from under the boys bed. It is a true adventure and it perfectly taps into the fears and imaginations of children. I was captivated by this film when I was little. I have never met anyone else who has seen it so it definitely qualifies as a hidden gem๐Ÿ˜‰

A New Zealand film called "Show Of Hands" is about people who enter one of those stamina competition's.

I will see if I can find a link to watch it. It is quirky and adorableโค๏ธ
Thanks for sharing your childhood movie with me! I can totally relate to that feeling of being captivated by a film that taps into our fears and imaginations. "Monster Under The Bed" (or "Little Monsters" in America) sounds like a real hidden gem! I gotta say, I haven't met anyone else who's seen it either, so you're definitely on to something special.

And hey, "Show of Hands" sounds like a fun film! I'm all about those quirky and adorable stories. If you find a link to watch it, count me in!

Thanks for sharing your memories and movie recommendations. If you've got any more hidden gems up your sleeve, I'm all ears! :D
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

BB8_Rey wrote: โ†‘29 May 2023, 16:11 It says it is online rentable here though I am not sure if it would work internationally ๐Ÿ˜…

https://ondemand.nzfilm.co.nz/film/show-of-hands/
Thank you for sharing the link! I'll see if it works in my country. :tiphat:
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

BB8_Rey wrote: โ†‘29 May 2023, 16:16 Since you like documentaries, Please check out "Pecking Order" A New Zealand doco about showing chickens. I saw it at a film festival and it is hilarious ๐Ÿ˜‚ Everyone in the cinema was cracking up. I have taken a chicken to a show before so I found it very relatable haha

Options for watching here

https://www.google.com/search?q=pecking ... e&ie=UTF-8
Thanks for the hilarious documentary recommendation "Pecking Order"! Showcasing chickens sounds like a riot. I can imagine the laughs in the cinema. Taking a chicken to a show? That's relatable and unique! I'll definitely add it to my watchlist. Feel free to share more quirky documentaries. I'm always up for a good laugh! :lol2:
Nancy004
Currently Reading:

Post by Nancy004 »

Kelly Tunstall wrote: โ†‘30 May 2023, 08:16 The Princess Bride is an absolute gem. With its memorable one-liners and hilarious characters, it is a movie I feel everyone should watch. The book is also just as entertaining.
"The Princess Bride" is a total classic! It's got everythingโ€”romance, adventure, and comedy. The story is about true love, revenge, and a whole lot of hilarious moments. From the iconic sword fights to the witty banter, it's a movie that never fails to entertain. Thank you for your recommendation :D
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

"Beasts of No Nation" deserves more recognition. This powerful film delves into the brutal realities of child soldiers in Africa, offering a gripping narrative and outstanding performances. It's a poignant exploration of human resilience amidst adversity.
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Hidden from Plain Sight by Beatrice Montserrat

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

A lesser-known movie deserving more recognition is "Moonlight." This poignant coming-of-age drama explores identity, love, and acceptance. Its unique narrative structure and exceptional performances earned it critical acclaim, yet it deserves even more recognition for its impact on storytelling in cinema.

Return to โ€œFilms and Booksโ€