What movies or TV series do you wish had been a book first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Re: What movies or TV series do you wish had been a book fir

Post by Sarah_Khan »

VinuW wrote:I really wish Once Upon A Time was a book.
I agree, even though I've only watched 1 or 2 episodes I can see how great it would be if the story was adapted onto paper as a book series. :)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The 10th Kingdom (an epic 10 hour miniseries) would have been brilliant as a book first. It was adapted into a book (and I've read and enjoyed it greatly), but it wasn't what it could have been.

Also, The Labyrinth. It also has been adapted (though I've not read it...yet!), but it would've been an excellent book in and of itself.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
km4785a
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-km4785a.html

Post by km4785a »

BookLover1997 wrote:I think quite a few romantic comedies would've made light and fluffy romances such as The Proposal and When Harry Met Sally.

With that said, I also love crime shows such as Criminal Minds, and I think that would've made for a great series of books.
I would have agreed with you there about Criminal Minds but then I realized I would have been more freaked out by my imagination if I read the episodes as a book series than watched the show.

So I'm going to go with Haven.
Lonewolf92
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lonewolf92.html

Post by Lonewolf92 »

I wish LOST had been a book before the TV show. My all time favorite TV show. You fall in love with the characters and there is so much back story to them I wish it had been a book so their individual stories could be told.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Lonewolf92 wrote:I wish LOST had been a book before the TV show. My all time favorite TV show. You fall in love with the characters and there is so much back story to them I wish it had been a book so their individual stories could be told.
Lost as a book would be awesome! I think it would help make things less complicated, since there would be more details and things could be explained more thoroughly. Plus if you read the series all at once then you won't forget things versus if you watched the show when it was on tv you had to wait between episodes and then between seasons.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

This is a really great question but off the top of my head I can't really think of any specific examples. Despite this, I'm positive that there are definitely a lot of good movies or tv series I've seen that would've been great books.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I think I would like to have read Once Upon A Time, Lucifer and Z nation. Big bang theory would have been a good book as well but a lot of the time I end up liking the tv show more then the book. For instance Murdoch mysteries the guy who plays Crabtree is a comedian so he makes his sences funny, but he isn't in the books so it ruins the books.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
GerganaIvanova_7
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by GerganaIvanova_7 »

KNewton wrote: 31 Dec 2015, 23:09 Ooo good topic question! I really wish that Supernatural would have been a book series first. I love the snippy and witting writing for the show, plus the storyline.
Supernatural had a great storyline up to season 5, it would have made a great book!
Something Girl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Something Girl »

I think that "The End of the F***ing World," a Netflix series, should have been a book first. Don't get me wrong it was an awesome show, but the book version would have given me more insight into the characters' thoughts. With that being said i would like it to be written in 3rd person omniscient.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I think Jane the Virgin would make a great book series. The characters are well-developed and interesting and the plot is full of humor and heart.
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

There was this show on Starz called Lost Girl that I loved. It was this sexy urban fantasy series about a succubus named Bo and her adventures with other Fae and her plucky human sidekick Kenzi. I was honestly shocked when I looked up the series and discovered it wasn't based on a book. It felt kind of like a fairy-based True Blood. I would love to read that book.
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

"Three Faces of Eve" or "Sybil." At least I don't think either of those movies were books.
Philippians 4:8
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

Chuck
A computer geek who works at Buy More opens an email from his friend Bryan, and ends up having the entire informations of the CIA and NSA stored in his brain. The above mentioned agencies send Agent Walker and Major Casey respectively, to protect the 'asset'. Chuck finds himself falling in love with Agent Walker.
It would really have made a wonderful book.
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

Good Place would be a great book, I think :)
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

There was a book on "M.A.S.H." but I don't think it was quite at detailed as the show. "Hogan's Hero's" might have been good. A lot of the medical series and a lot of the law enforcement shows would be strange as books, I think. "House" could be a good book and "The Mentalist" might work, but I think it would be difficult to write.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Films and Books”