Most disappointing movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Zeiyuka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4008">The Hobbit</a>
Currently Reading: Zodiac
Bookshelf Size: 8

Re: Most disappointing movie adaptation

Post by Zeiyuka »

For me, Eragon was just. Oh gosh, facepalm worthy. Everything was messed up.. I even have a mile long list of everything that was wrong. I will never forget how upset I was when I saw the movie after reading the book. So. Very. Bad.

Now that I study film, it made it even worse for me when it comes to pointing out mistakes. Haha! ^_^
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Hands down, the worst book-to-film adaptation I have ever seen is Inferno by Dan Brown. The movie destroys the plot, turning it into a completely different story. I read the book three times, and I was expecting the movie to not be as good, but I was shocked when I had seen how much they changed. Inferno was a book that really made me think and consider the world around me. Inferno, the movie, took that out and replaced it with irrational love stories and underwater explosions.

A close second to Inferno was White Oleander by Janet Fitch. I grew up watching that movie and loved it, so when it came time to write a book-to-film paper in one of my English classes, I picked that, since I owned the both the book and the movie. I will never watch that movie again... Hollywood decided to drop strong female characters and to make the ones they did keep seem weaker. They also took out almost all of the diversity, leading to a nearly all white cast, which is not reflected in the book.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I thought The Golden Compass was pretty bad. I was cringing through most of it, which is sad since I really enjoyed the books. I hear there might be a TV series adaption at some point, so hopefully, that one does better!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

The Count of Monte Cristo. Everyone thought the movie was so fantastic; I did too until I read the book. Now the movie fall flat in my opinion. All I can say is that the movie is only LOOSELY based on the Dumas' book.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I like most books better than movies but the worst adaptation was when they shoved Legolas into the Hobbit. I hated that.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

The Percy Jackson movies are the absolute worst. I'm glad they didn't make a third one, it was just plain trash.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
blacksun77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blacksun77 »

Fantasic Beast is the worst
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Jesska6029 wrote:'The Mortal Instruments' disappointed me beyond words. I love the book, but the movie is trash.
Haven't seen it, but I'll be sure to steer clear.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The most disappointing to me was the movie adaptation of the Fifty Shades of Grey series. Both of the films were a disappointment. Granted, I didn't expect lots of S&M in the movie but I expected better chemistry between the characters.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Natalie Charlene wrote:
A close second to Inferno was White Oleander by Janet Fitch. I grew up watching that movie and loved it, so when it came time to write a book-to-film paper in one of my English classes, I picked that, since I owned the both the book and the movie. I will never watch that movie again... Hollywood decided to drop strong female characters and to make the ones they did keep seem weaker. They also took out almost all of the diversity, leading to a nearly all white cast, which is not reflected in the book.
I found this movie pretty disappointing. I'd read the book first, though, so came to that conclusion from a different perspective.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Khaya »

Shiloh. It was... just horrible. Not just the worse book adapted into movie, but just the worse movie I'd ever seen.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Without a doubt, it would be The Keep. It is just a travesty.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Kimmy11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kimmy11 »

The film Cell was a huge disappoinment to me.
I love Stephen King's books, but the film Cell I couldn't get into to it. I had so many different emotions going through me as I read that book, at one point I cried at it.
However that particular part in the film I had no emotions, as it didn't happen in the same way as it did in the book.
I thought that it would be a good film, but the emotions and descriptions I got from the book was much better. The film to me shouldn't have been made, as I don't want to think what other Stephen King's books may get ruined by being made into films.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Contrary to others' perception, I rather liked Percy Jackson series.....books and movies. What was disappointing and boring was Coraline. My time would have been better off doing other things instead of watching Coraline.
Emma RW Dickson
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Emma RW Dickson »

I was so disappointed in the film adaptation of Ender's Game. The original book was deep and had a lot of parallels which were lost in the film. Also of the Divergent series, the first two films were ok but the third movie was a disaster. It seemed as though the director changed 4 times while creating the film or something because it was so disjointed.

Return to “Films and Books”