Most disappointing movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Re: Most disappointing movie adaptation

Post by Amanda Nixon »

The movie for The Giver was a huge disappointment and I waited forever for that one to come out. Also,the Percy Jackson movies. I'm not surprised the third one got cancelled.
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

Eragon. I was so disappointed by this movie. It was a total waste of my time. No offense to those who liked this film but I didn't like it one bit.
-R
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Fifty shades of grey and twilight were disappointing for me.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

Eragon. What a bad time that was!!!!
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

I am still frustrated by the adaption of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows both parts. They changed so much!
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I will never get over Fifty Shades, the entire series. To say that I looked forward to this movie would be an understatement. I thought the book was okay, except maybe for a few factors. The movie just crushed my hopes, what with the actors seeming so disconnected from each other and whatnot. Also, Eragon was rather anticlimactic, and the awfulness of the film brought me to tears.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Alannahm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alannahm »

Vampire Academy.
The books are among my favorites, in my top 5 series that I love. So when I heard that they were making a movie, I was ecstatic. And then I saw it.
Cue disappointment.
It was genuinely awful! It was directed by the director of Mean Girls, and just that alone spelled trouble. This beautiful, intense series was reduced to supernatural high school trash! It was made into a comedy, and while Rose Hathaway is funny as all get out, the entire series isn't comedic. It's serious, romantic, heart-wrenching, and just plain gorgeous.
As much as I hate to belittle other peoples' hard work, this movie was as bad as a piece of rotten meat that was thrown up by a cat, shat on by a dog, and then steamed with sulfurous gas and shoved up the derriere of a 10,000 year old corpse.
Those books could have made a perfect movie. Loveable characters, forbidden romance, witty MC, and an amazing, well-crafted plot. Honestly, they could have so easily done SO much better. But, I reiterate, they reduced it to what was essentially a supernatural mean girls.
Ghania
Currently Reading: History

Post by Ghania »

why only to watch the movie with a certain assumption of dirty or clean, fifty shades has a story to focus on! The journey of a child who just knew about woman to be abused and then how his mentality changes! And his love and way of expressing it!A beautiful scenario that i admire ❤️
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Where do I start from? Harry Potter from the 2nd movie to the last one, Twilight, Mortal instruments.
rjRONIT2014
Currently Reading:

Post by rjRONIT2014 »

When we read a book, we fill the gap between the words with our own imaginatin & feelings. Book allows us to create our own fantasy world, but cinema, or cinematic adaptation cutt of our imagination, and shows what they believe is just. So most of the time adaptation can not match the edges of book.
Consi
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

I am a huge Anne Rice fan. I was so excited to know that there were making a movie on her book Queen of the Dammed. I was so disappointed!!! They left out so much. I understand that it is hard to put everything from the book into a movie but it felt empty and rushed. A two part movie what probably have done it justice. The web that connects all the Vampires to the Queen needed a better explanation along with some of the vivid imagery that the book conjured. Oh well, still love Anne Rice maybe she will have another one of her books brought to the screen (Prince Lestat). If it's done as well as Interview with the Vampire it should do amazing. Here's hoping :D
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

Honestly the worst one would have to be Percy Jackson if we are talking book to movie. They got maybe 2% right in that movie.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Percy Jackson. So many differences in the movies.
Berry :wine:
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I agree with twilight. Seems like a lot of the things in the book were not added and it just did not do justice to the book.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

There are some good movie versions of Stephen King's work. The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption come to mind. But most of the adaptations are awful. By far, the worst recently was The Dark Tower. Trying to do justice to that series in a 90 minute movie was ridiculous. I couldn't help but wonder what they were thinking. It was abysmal at best.

Return to “Films and Books”