Most disappointing movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
red_velvet_girl7
Favorite Author: sylvia day
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-red-velvet-girl7.html
fav_author_id: 3447

Re: Most disappointing movie adaptation

Post by red_velvet_girl7 »

I believe that almost of the Movie Adaptations are horrible, except Harry Potter series and The Fault in Our Stars.
Be it Twilight, Princess Diariesx A Walk to Remember or P.S. I Love You.. the list goes on and on. The movies left me so disappointed that if I could, then I would have thrown a brick on the director's head.
What I hate the most is that they plot line, sometimes completely removing my favourite part of the novel (Example : Chapter 5 Blood Type of Twilight).
So, I think the makers should either do justice to the novel or not make a movie at all. That would be better.
crystalr
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystalr.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by crystalr »

The most disappointing adaptation for me would have to be Beautiful Creatures. I read the first two books in almost no time, and just after the movie adaptation came out on DVD. I was so excited to watch the movie, so I went out to get it from Redbox.
I honestly regret watching the movie. The best part of the movie was Jeremy Irons, and he didn't even last the whole movie! Within the first 5 minutes, I was utterly disappointed in the introduction of characters, the way they were cast, and the way they depicted a lot of the things happening in the plot. Things I thought were important to the plot were skipped entirely and other things were talked about that were secondary to the plot.

There are many disappointing movie adaptations to novels, but this is the one that by far resonated with me, and still makes me very bitter.
Abarney_89
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abarney-89.html

Post by Abarney_89 »

Least favorite book to film adaptation is definitely Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. The films left so much of the actual story out and made it more about Ron and Hermione's relationship. I felt that it didn't do justice to Snape and his story and was highly disappointed with Dumbledore's death. The other movies were also difficult to watch after reading the series so many times, but this one is always a "grin and bare it" for me.
Jynny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jynny.html

Post by Jynny »

Really disappointing adaptions were Twilight, Eragon and Maze runner
Beth Robinson
Currently Reading: The Beauty and the Sorrow
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-robinson.html

Post by Beth Robinson »

The Dark is Rising. I was so enchanted by the book and the journeys to both achieve the sigils and to come to terms as a child with being not quite human. But they aged up the main character, heavily adapted the plot, and didn't capture the magic of the original.
susanne_carlson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanne-carlson.html

Post by susanne_carlson »

I love Stephen King's books but every movie adaptation of them has been kind of a disappointment to me...
ErinM

Post by ErinM »

Jodie Picoult's My Sister's Keeper was the most disappointing movie adaptation I have ever seen.

The book was amazing, a genuine tear-jerker and the ending was so out of left field, but that whole emotional rollercoaster was lost in the film.
StudiousBookworm
Currently Reading: Illuminae
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by StudiousBookworm »

The Percy Jackson adaptions (ie: The Lightening Theif and the Sea of Monsters) were the most disappointing movie adaptions I've seen. It's a shame because it's such a good series and has produced so many spin off novels that would make great movies. However, given the disappointing flop that was the Percy Jackson movies, it would be a surprise to see another Rick Riordan book made into a film.

I believe that these movies failed for the same reason that a lot of novel adaptions do, they strayed from the original text. The film is not the novel. That's what really upsets people or at least me. When I go to see a movie based off of a book it is because I really liked the book. When the movie tries to fix what isn't broken in the novel, it tends not to go over too well with fans. This is what happened with the Percy Jackson movies and what happens with a lot of others. It's something that you would think Hollywood would have recognized and corrected by now. While it isn't possible to fit every detail into a movie, straying from the original plot or text tends to upset readers (myself included). I still enjoy the Percy Jackson movies because of the characters I love but they just aren't the novels.
Hinarcia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hinarcia.html

Post by Hinarcia »

Most dissapointing movie adaptation for me was the golden compass. I loved the movie at first, but they would never make the adaptations so I read the book and it was much more better then the movie was. It ended way differently then the book.
sgirl58
Currently Reading: Damaged
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgirl58.html

Post by sgirl58 »

The worst movie adaption I have seen is from The Cider House Rules by John Irving. It was a very good book and I was looking forward to seeing the movie but I was shocked. The movie left half of the story/plot out of it and changed many other things.
mjames20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjames20.html

Post by mjames20 »

What a headache!! So many to mention. Little Women, Wild (wasn't bad, but they changed/omitted a lot), Harry Potter series. Etc.
HerRoyalCuteness_J
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herroyalcuteness-j.html

Post by HerRoyalCuteness_J »

Beautiful Creatures. I love the books
I was soo excited about the movie adaptation and then when I saw it.. I wished I didn't see the movie at all.
agent_tina
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agent-tina.html

Post by agent_tina »

I really feel like it is a toss up between any of the Percy Jackson adaptions and the Vampire Academy adaption. I read Percy Jackson back in middle school and that is when the first movie came out and I was extremely disappointed when I went to see the movie. I don't even think that movie is good if it were to be it's own separate piece of work completely unrelated to the book series. Vampire Academy was just a joke. They didn't do any justice to the book and made it completely intolerable. I think it is partially because the director is the director of the "Mean Girls" movie, but I think it is also because it wasn't very well adapted in the script. There was a lot more potential and it was just a let down, but I still love the books and I'd want to see a sequel, but with a better script and a different director.
I Holly
Currently Reading: The Song of Achilles
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-holly.html

Post by I Holly »

The worst book to film adaptations for me are the Percy Jackson films and The Golden Compass, two of which are two of my favourite series. I was also upset with the TV-film adaptation of Just Henry as it was a good film but did not follow the book accurately.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

ErinM wrote:Jodie Picoult's My Sister's Keeper was the most disappointing movie adaptation I have ever seen.

The book was amazing, a genuine tear-jerker and the ending was so out of left field, but that whole emotional rollercoaster was lost in the film.
I would have to agree with you on this one. The movie was horrible compared to the book.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Films and Books”