Most disappointing movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
tommymclane4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Most disappointing movie adaptation

Post by tommymclane4 »

in my opinion, the twilight movies are an utter disappointment except for the action sequences in the movie

-- 27 Dec 2016, 09:39 --

in my opinion, the twilight movies are an utter disappointment except for the action sequences in the movie
ColetteVC7
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colettevc7.html

Post by ColetteVC7 »

There are a lot of lackluster movie adaptations but I think that Percy Jackson probably the most disappointing movie adaptation for me. I mean, I don't really expect every detail from a book to translate to the screen (that would make movies way too long and it would defeat the purpose of using another art form to portray the story) but EVERYTHING was wrong. The ages of the characters, the backstory and foundation of the story, and then just the plot itself. All of it was off. It's like they didn't even read the book before making the movie.
waterwolf42

Post by waterwolf42 »

Oneshot with Tom Cruise while the movie plot was not bad the main character Jack Reacher is 6'5" and 250 pounds which Tom Cruise is not they should have gotten someone like Tom Selleck or John Cena to play the part. I like author Lee Child but not Tom Cruise as the main character. I have nothing against Tom Cruise just not in this part.
DiamondTemptress
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by DiamondTemptress »

Harry Potter to me was not as good as the book! That could have taken so more of the action ansd characteristics and made it 10 times better....

Kiss the girls also kinds didmt sit well.with me! The book has quite a lot more meaning amd in depth as the movie
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

Funnily enough, my least favourite adaptation was probably Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The fifth book was so important and held so many incredible scenes. From meeting Neville's parents and revisiting Lockhart and Firenze, and the entire Department of Mysteries sequence, there was so much going on not only plot wise but character wise. It's a huge year and it really didn't come across that way on screen. They left so much out that they didn't need to :'( As much as I love HP, both books and films, I was really disappointed in that one.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I absolutely loved the Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke. The movie was a disappointment. I am sure that all of us who love reading could get excited by the prospect of by "read" into a book. To not just read but to become a part of the stories we love... This just didn't come across in the movie!
kdk2012
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdk2012.html

Post by kdk2012 »

I think My Sister's Keeper was the worst adaption I've ever seen. The book by Jodi Picoult was amazing, but I felt they deviated from the plot line of the book too much.
DastenHero
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dastenhero.html

Post by DastenHero »

Percy Jackson. What have they done. Well, I can tell you what they've done. They made a bad movie XD
MadLibraryScientist
Currently Reading: Sherlock, Lupin, and Me
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madlibraryscientist.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by MadLibraryScientist »

Usually when I see an adaptation, I'm able to separate it from the source to judge it on its own merit. The most disappointing that I've seen in recent memory was The Maze Runner. I wasn't in love with the book, but it wasn't bad. But the movie. Oh gods, the movie.

Now, I wanted to like the movie. I loved some of the actors, and I thought the movie would be a lot of fun. And granted, the visuals were amazing. The one thing that the movie did well was give the viewer a sense of scale of the Maze, which was difficult for the book to do.

But the movie stripped the book down to its skeleton--and then seemed to leave out half the bones. It just missed the book. You could see studio interference, and where they changed things just to better fit the stereotypes of YA movies. So yeah--not very good.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
1337gollum
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1337gollum.html

Post by 1337gollum »

There surely have been a lot of book franchises converted into cinema media that have failed because of various constraints. One that comes to mind personally is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It is apparent that the people working on it really cared about the franchise, but all of the scenes did not tie into each other. It rather seemed as though they put a bunch of cool ideas together and it was all over the place. The casting was a bit awkward and the point of the narration was a bit of a cop out. The CG was not astonishing. I am aware that Hitchhiker's Guide was converted into various mediums such as games and television programs, and Adams did most of the screenwriting. Since the author himself had a lot of control, I suppose it wouldn't be fair to say that the film was rubbish because it didn't "stick to its source". However, I can't help but feel that in the film they could have taken out some of the nonsense add on-ish scenes to add in a few minutes of explaining the plot better to bridge some of the continuity gaps. A more balanced structure would have given more credibility to the visual aspects. The combat was mediocre. I only really cared about the main character, I was in and out invested in the story's """premise""", and I feel like the emotion was cheated somehow. The original book was satirical and adventurous. The film was rather childish. I appreciate the effort, but the creators of the film broke some part of the "budget, effort, time" triangle. I do not think it is the worst film ever, but with correct planning I think that the adaptation could have been done well and would have been less of an insult to the much adored sci-fi novel.
ShaneDevante

Post by ShaneDevante »

ColetteVC7 wrote:There are a lot of lackluster movie adaptations but I think that Percy Jackson probably the most disappointing movie adaptation for me. I mean, I don't really expect every detail from a book to translate to the screen (that would make movies way too long and it would defeat the purpose of using another art form to portray the story) but EVERYTHING was wrong. The ages of the characters, the backstory and foundation of the story, and then just the plot itself. All of it was off. It's like they didn't even read the book before making the movie.

This. Very much this. The Lightning Thief ruined a lot of the charm from the original book by aging up the characters, and not just by way of plot. The character interactions became quite forced and, honestly, it was just lame in comparison. The second movie was even more lacking in that they tried to compress four books into one, and that just ruined it completely.

If they had only stuck closer to the source material, Percy Jackson could have well been the next Harry Potter franchise.
pet2017+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pet2017.html

Post by pet2017+ »

I can agree that the Twilight movies were a disappointment to me. I believe they could have done a better job.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

Did anyone else see "The Seeker," the movie adaptation of Susan Cooper's amazing book, The Dark Is Rising? It was AWFUL. It made a point of stripping every bit of mythology and character from the book. It was absolutely unrecognizable. Just terrible.
Auntie shush
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-auntie-shush.html
Reading Device: B018KXK652

Post by Auntie shush »

I remember some years ago I liked The Celestine Prophesies book, which I believe had a huge fan base, however I watched the film which was very disappointing, with all of the CGI miracles we see I think I maybe expected a lot more than I got.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

Twilight. The acting as a whole was soooooo bad. So bad....

I remember the only one that I thought was actually in character was Jessica Stanley, which was kind of a bummer because she not even that great of a character. Fast forward a few years and Anna Kendrick is a boss at pretty much everything. I hate to sound hipster but..... :roll: Also, for those of you who don't know, the girl that played Angela can currently be seen playing Rosita on The Walking Dead! I nearly died when I figured out they were the same person. :shock:
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Return to “Films and Books”