Most disappointing movie adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
wynona123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wynona123.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Most disappointing movie adaptation

Post by wynona123 »

I was so obsessed with the book series “Vampire Academy”… this is why I was so deeply disappointed beyond words with its crappy movie adaptation. For me, the movie ruined the book’s image.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I’m a huge fan of the “Vampire Academy” book series by Richelle Mead. When they finally made it into a movie, I was initially thrilled by the idea of finally watching my favorite characters in the story come to life thru the big screen. However, it gave me great disappointment that they turned a fantastic story into a crappy one. Also, all the actors in the movie weren’t suited for their designated characters. In other words, the movie just ruined a marvelous book.
RSchwartz
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by RSchwartz »

Heinlein's book Starship Troopers was and under-performing asset as a movie
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

Ella Enchanted, Eragon, Percy Jackson. Even seeing references to those movies makes me cringe, especially because I loved the books so much!
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

The worst adaptation was The DUFF. It was almost like the entire story from the book was changed so that they were like two different stories. The book was way better.
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

Me Before You. They took out one of my favorite characters plus they downplayed a relationship in the book. It was very frustrating because I thought those were important elements to the story.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Inkheart, Eragon, and Percy Jackson. I really loved all these books and was hoping for something epic when I heard of their movie adaptations. Fortunately, I didn't watch any of these movies all the way through.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Queen of Damned from Anne Rice's Vampire books. Interview with the Vampire was not too bad, even though I felt Brad Pitt had no business playing Louise and Antonio Banderas is not nearly pretty enough to be Armand. Queen of the Damned was an absolute joke. That movie killed off any chance of the rest of those books ever making it to film. Which is a shame.
Last edited by thaservices1 on 02 Jun 2018, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
f-callisaya
Favorite Book: The Fellowship of the Ring
Currently Reading: Blood of the Prophets
Bookshelf Size: 1546
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by f-callisaya »

thaservices1 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 20:11 Queen of Damned from Anne Rice's Vampire books. Interview with the Vampire was not too bad, even though I felt Brad Pitt had business playing Louise and Antonio Banderas is not nearly pretty enough to be Armand. Queen of the Damned was an absolute joke. That movie killed off any chance of the rest of those books ever making it to film. Which is a shame.
I completely agree! I like Antonio Banderas' work, but he was NOT a good choice for Armand. I've seen some interesting fan castings for Interview, though, including Aramis Knight (M.K. on Into the Badlands) and Max Records (Max from Where the Wild Things Are and apparently Anne Rice's choice?) as potentials for Armand.

I was actually more okay with Brad Pitt's Louis than I was with Tom Cruise's Lestat, but both irritated my own headcanons for the characters in their own way. But QotD was a hot mess. Just...so bad.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

ERAGON. That movie was disgraceful. That book could have been a classic, but kids aren't reading it now because they hated the movie.
Ayyatullah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ayyatullah »

i get disappoint in one movie call Mission impossible" the guy does'nt need to die like that and they change it to another man
My_Darcy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by My_Darcy »

I think that Fifty Shades of Grey & The Twilight Series we’re the most disappointing for me. To me the best part of both of these books was the connection that they had between each other. In the books you are able to tell what the characters were thinking. This made the stories so much more compelling because you understood the powerful feelings that the characters had for each other. The movies always seem to lack this connection. To me this makes it loose so much appeal.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I read it shortly before the movie was announced and was excited to see it. The movie wasn't bad but definitely disappointing. It was fine for a one time view but the book deserved more than that. I really enjoyed the book, especially the bizarre, vintage pictures inside that facilitated the story.
Rebalgal25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Rebalgal25 »

The movie Shiloh disappointed me. I loved reading the book but the movie I'm sorry I could not watch
JVIRK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JVIRK »

The Twilight series was without comparison the most disappointing movie adaptations. The characters were actually scary, I mean granted that by the virtue of vampirism they have to look less humanly, but they took the pale skin an inch too far. I don't think I even finished the movie series simply because I was mortified at how terrifying Edward looks, I couldn't imagine Pattinson to be as charming as the book Edward. I'm so sorry, Stephanie Meyer.

Return to “Films and Books”