Outlander Book Series Vs. TV Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
CrystalDenise
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystaldenise.html

Re: Outlander Book Series Vs. TV Series

Post by CrystalDenise »

I don't mean to offend anyone but I personally was very upset with the scene in the first book where Claire goes through something disgusting because of Jamie, as people who love this series how did you look past that? Didn't get specific to avoid spoilers
maryleebooks
Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryleebooks.html
fav_author_id: 4823

Post by maryleebooks »

Anyone know when they are coming back on TV?
CaseyPaige
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caseypaige.html

Post by CaseyPaige »

I enjoyed reading the books (mainly 1-3 - Then after that I slowly read the rest). There's a point when Diana Gabaldon comes to be too descriptive and very long winded. I enjoy the TV series, but I have the same issue. Some episodes are great and them some are just too long and drawn out.
Mrs O

Post by Mrs O »

I have been reading them over the past year...and agree that they do get a bit long winded. However I have been enjoying them immensely. My husband has been reading them as well and has recently begun calling me Sassenach?! He seems to have given up after the 5th book. I plan to finish up. Have An Echo in the Bone waiting for me now.

I love the descriptions of life in the Scottish Highlands as well as in Frasier's Ridge. Sometimes the constant hair-raising escapades can be a bit much but I guess you need the escapades to make it a page turner!

Agree that Jamie on the STARZ series should have been a bigger man...but think that Sam Heughan is doing a great job. Love the show!
Sera3125

Post by Sera3125 »

I started reading the series at the same time the TV series was announced. So far I have only read the first 2 and halfway through the third book. Apparently each season will one book soI am trying to get through the books before the series for each begins. So far I am very pleased with the way the series, it's very true to the books so far. And I think the characters were well chosen especially Claire and Jamie.
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

I read the 7 books in 5 months. Almost everyday!! And when i got to the end of it it was like having to say goodbye to good friends. And after i heard that starz was going to put the books in a tv series i was very curious how they would portray it. And to be honest, i was amazed by the way they had adapted it to the screen! Just wonderful. I was only minorly disappointed that Claires encounter with the Loch Ness monster was not included...but hey, no harm done...they have more than made up with that intwnse episode of Jamie and Black Jack in prison... Superb acting and directing!!
Can't wait for season 2! I am re-reading book 2. Just as a refresher... lol
And I love the many pages of each book!!
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
NanMarie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanmarie.html

Post by NanMarie »

I love the book series, but only watched two of the shows. As it is when comparing a book to a movie, my imagination was much better than what was on the screen. I think Gabaldon is an outstanding author.
Lane Justice

Post by Lane Justice »

I read the 7 book series and was spellbound! When I wasn't reading, I was thinking about what I had read and wondering what would happen next. I loved how true historical events were incorporated. The descriptive qualities gave me a clear picture of settings and I felt as if I were there looking on. My husband ordered the first series of DVDs as a surprise for me the day they became available. I was surprised how close to the story line the series was. However, the actors portraying Clair and Jamie look nothing like I pictured them. None the less, I still enjoy the series and the acting was superb.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I have seen the series and I loved it! How close in correlation are the books? How much do the characters deviate from the books?
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
dbryantsimmons
Currently Reading: Voyager
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by dbryantsimmons »

I'd never read historical fiction until I saw Outlander Season 1. It was such a vivid experience that I read the first book in the series (even though I'd already seen the STARZ version). It seemed to follow the book closely and I think all the characters were perfectly cast. I'm so in love with Claire and Jamie that I refuse to finish the second book until I can get my hands on the third. I'm literally on the last chapter and refusing to finish. Gabaldon even inspired me to start reading Phillipa Gregory.
kirolloisdose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirolloisdose.html

Post by kirolloisdose »

I don't know what to say,i hate the book and the series
ahacandles

Post by ahacandles »

I am rereading the books as I watch each episode. I watch the episodes as they come out (Saturday Night Fun) and then start reading the book as soon as there done! I can't get enough.

Dianna Gabaldon has done a wonderful job in making sure her words have been turned into to the small screen. If I've read ahead to far it's almost like deja vu when watching the next week.
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

The Outlander series is by far my favorite book series. I have read it 4 times and am impatiently waiting for another book to come out. I didn't have high expectations for the STARZ TV series, as most movies and TV shows made from books have disappointed me. Luckily, I believe the STARZ series is more than I could have ever expected. The characters are exactly how I envisioned them, so it is fun to see the world come to life. From the first book to the first season of the TV series, a lot is left out. The writers seem to make sure to include all of the "high" points, and leave out some of the background stories which don't seem to matter as much, so the story can be followed. Aside from simply wanting more episodes, I am worried about the TV series catching up to the book series too quickly (like Game of Thrones did). It takes Diana years to compile a story, so I think the TV series will have to use multiple seasons to cover some of the later books, especially as the storyline becomes more expansive and convoluted.

I am very excited to see how book 2 plays out on screen. So far, the costumes look amazing. I also recently saw they cast the Brianna, who is perfect in my mind!
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
misstbloo
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misstbloo.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by misstbloo »

I always say books are better than visual adaptations. There's no way to convey the same feeling when you have to remove details for the sake of time. I don't agree with the casting choices but I do like the show. I choose to view the two as separate entities so it doesn't ruin what I imagined.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

I have all the Outlander books but have only read through the Fiery Cross. I actually got bored with them. I particularly detest Brianna..what a whiny character. It's possible she grows up sooner or later in the books I haven't read yet.

I had a 30 day free trial of Starzz through Amazon Prime. I watched the first season (which by the way doesn't cover the entire first book). Jamie is not at all what I pictured him as I read the books.

Return to “Films and Books”