Outlander Book Series Vs. TV Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Cbrunyate
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: Swamplandia
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrunyate.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Outlander Book Series Vs. TV Series

Post by Cbrunyate »

I love the Outlander book series and was so excited when Starz decided to create a show based on the series. Has anyone else read the books and also gottent the chance the watch the show? Thoughts? Was it what you pictured when you were reading the books?
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

Diana Gabaldon instantly became one of my favorite authors when I read Outlander (book 1). She amazes me that she can write such lengthy books and keep you entertained throughout. Very talented.

I'd heard of the books but had not read them until I'd watched the first couple of episodes on Starz (TV), then I could not wait to start reading the books. I'm on The Fiery Cross right now. Admittedly, they are pretty long so I take breaks and read other books in between. I can't wait for the TV series to start back. I can't imagine a more fitting "Jamie" than the man (Sam Heughan :romance-heartsthree: ) who was cast.
:happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
MoMo31
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MoMo31 »

I read the books first and I had whole different image of everything in my mind. I mean after reading 7 books, I'm kinda stuck with my own imagery. I can't quite connect my imagination to the TV show. I just decided to treat them as two different things and somehow I'm able to accept it that way.

I do like the show. I think the whole cast and team are amazing and trying very hard to keep in line with the story and show it authentically. I'm impressed.
However, I do confess to expecting more from the TV show. I hope they get better in the coming seasons. Can't wait.
HoneyB

Post by HoneyB »

I think I read somewhere that each season amounts to one book. The first book is my favorite (of course, I've yet to read them all so that could change). That's a LOT to scale down.

I hope the TV series lasts through all of the books. I'm so vested, it will be disappointing if it doesn't make it. I did hear it was signed on for a second season at least.
:happy-partydance:
~Alan Bennett
Sirisha25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirisha25.html

Post by Sirisha25 »

I have read all of the Outlander books and watched every episode of the Starz tv series. I grew to love Diana's books and was amazed at the length of her books. The show has been very interesting to watch. I just adored the episode of Jamie and Clare's wedding. This series is so addictive and I have enjoyed every book. I can't wait to read her next book and watch the second half of the first season. The cast of the show has been amazing with their acting abilities and they definitely blew me away. I hope that this fantastic series continues with the rest of the books.
HoneyB

Post by HoneyB »

Impatiently waiting for April :sad-pacing:
~Alan Bennett
teel02
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teel02.html

Post by teel02 »

I have read all the outlander books and I liked them a lot. I have not watched the series but I looked it up to see who was cast. I thought the man that is Jamie was a really good pick. He is just what I imagined. Clare on the other hand I did not quite imagine her like that, and I think she was supposed to be a little bigger than the actress chosen, but it is tv so it wasn't a surprise they chose someone skinny lol. I don't want another book. I know she is going to write another one, the ninth I think. I liked how the series ended in book 8. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
HoneyB

Post by HoneyB »

I'm still reading the series myself, but was happy to read your post that you liked the way it ended (as of now at least). I hope another book doesn't change that. I've read a couple series endings that left me feeling crushed. I so do not want (what I feel is inevitable, but hope I'm wrong) these books to end badly. It has become a favorite of mine. I try not to read up too much on the series to avoid learning something I haven't read myself yet - don't want to spoil it.
~Alan Bennett
Talia on toast

Post by Talia on toast »

Being a huge fan of Diana Gabaldon, having read the entire Outlander series about 9 times, (I lost count) literally not being able to sleep for reading so much, and living every moment of Jamie's love for his Sassenach, I was wholly disappointed in the series. So much so that I haven't watched passed the fifth episode. It was so hard to equate the awful actors with the fantastical characters that had lived in my mind for so many years.

Claire is constantly described as a buxom, vivacious, curvy woman, with a luscious bosom, where as the actress is a stick with no boobs. She irritates me to the point of suicide. There is no passion and fun anywhere in her being.

Jamie is supposed to be a rugged, outlandish rogue of a man and yet I found myself watching a man child. He has zero scottishness about him and seems to be just a run o' the mill bloke. Where did the strapping man many a woman has dreamed of and fantasised about gone?

I thought the casting was atrocious to say the least.

They have been true to story though, which is unusual in a book turned TV. However, the series has left me with an awful taste in my mouth and my love and faith in Gabaldon has drastically dried to a desert pool.

Quite sad.
kmgriff6

Post by kmgriff6 »

My daughter turned me on to these books and I asked a friend to read with me. We are on the second book, and I am afraid to watch the tv series until I am all done with the books. However I do love to read books that are made into movies and tv shows. It is often that the characters in our minds are not what are chosen for the big screen and I am okay with that.
Abc3000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abc3000.html

Post by Abc3000 »

I love reading this series. I found the first season of Outlander on TV entertaining although you would never get the same depth of the story in a mini series.
HoneyB

Post by HoneyB »

kmgriff6 wrote:My daughter turned me on to these books and I asked a friend to read with me. We are on the second book, and I am afraid to watch the tv series until I am all done with the books. However I do love to read books that are made into movies and tv shows. It is often that the characters in our minds are not what are chosen for the big screen and I am okay with that.
The first book is my absolute favorite but the second comes pretty close! I just wanted to say if you (and your friend) wanted to watch the TV series, it won't ruin it for you. The first season is based on the first book. And next season will be based on the second book, and so on. I actually watched the first couple of episodes and became so impatient I had to read the books. So glad I did! They are really fantastic.
~Alan Bennett
queenmab75
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenmab75.html

Post by queenmab75 »

I enjoy the books to a point. I feel like they're at a certain point now where the series sort of needs to be over. The TV show is beautiful, but I don't really care for the man they cast as Jaime. I don't know what it is about him...the costumes and settings, however, are AMAZING!
Amyes87

Post by Amyes87 »

I'm on to the 7th book in the Outlander series, I really have enjoyed the books, and have lost a lot of sleep from staying up reading. I find, however, that Gabaldon sometimes spends too long on irrelevant details that drags on over a few pages. I have seen the first season of the TV series - I wasn't fussed on the actors - I've pictured Jamie as someone the size of Chris Hemsworth! But on the plus side I have realised that I've been reading Gaelic words incorrectly so it's been good to learn the proper pronunciation of words like "Sassenach"! I'm looking forward to seeing how the books wrap up, as for the TV show .. We'll see!
Elysant
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Elysant »

I began reading the series about 2 years ago and have slowly been making my way through them. I LOVE them. I can easily say that this is my favorite book series to this point. Diana Gabaldon has written characters that I have truly fallen I love with and feel connected to, to the point that when something bad happens to them I get very emotional. LOL.

As for the STARZ series. I love it as well. There are things that I wish had been included, but that is normal. The actors, while they don't match up with the picture that I had in my head, they are doing a fantastic job of bringing the characters to life. I am anxiously waiting for the fall so that I can get into the next season!!

Return to “Films and Books”