How do you choose a book to read?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Re: How do you choose a book to read?

Post by Crs webco »

I often check the cover and the short description on the back or on the inside of the book cover to see if a book catches my attention. But another way I find new books/authors is to look for an anthology in the genre that I think I want to read. I have found many great reads and fascinating new-to-me authors this way.
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I love drama and adventure, so those are the first things I look for in a book. I also check out the reviews on the books ad lastly if I haven't yet made up my mind is the book cover.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

I love Non-Fiction book. So if I want to select a a nok to read, I'll read the description of the book and check if it's suitable for me or not
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I choose the options by the covers, then I read the review and check if I may like it or not. Or trust in a few people recommendations
Melissa Katherine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-katherine.html
Latest Review: True Teryn by S.G. Blaise

Post by Melissa Katherine »

I see a lot of people post about their tbr (to be read) pile, and they basically just add books to the pile and read in the order that they're added to the pile. I can't do that. I'm a mood reader, so I have to pick a book that suits my mood, otherwise I won't be into it no matter how good it is. I also get like stuck in moods, where I read one book that is super good, and then I need to keep reading books that are the same. Either I then read all the books by the same author, or I read books that all have similar stories. I sometimes loose interest in a book that I've started reading and have to put it down and read something else before continuing. If you look at my Goodreads, I have a bunch of books on my "currently reading" shelf because I've started them but put them down to read something else. I do plan on going back to those books, eventually. Because of this, I don't like borrowing from the library, so I buy a lot of books and have my own library at home. After I finish a book, I go into my library and start pulling books off the shelves, reading the synopsis on the back until something grabs my attention and sounds like it'll fit my mood. Probably not the most efficient way to get through all the books I have yet to read, but we only have a limited amount of time in life, so I want to fully enjoy what I'm reading.
Melanie OneDay
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanieoneday.html
Latest Review: See a Witch About a Curse by Loen Hussain

Post by Melanie OneDay »

I have a huge list of books I want to read. I usually just select one at random from the list. It can be hard sometimes but there is usually a book I’ve been wanting to read on the list more than the others.
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

Here, when considering which book I will choose to read, first I would look at the amount of time that I have in my hands. Then I would look at the amount of time the book would require to read before choosing it. And also the genre.
Demi Gov
Currently Reading: The Wall
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-demi-gov.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Demi Gov »

It sounds a bit too narrow-minded but I always gravitate towards books that have a fantasy theme- specifically a magic or medieval one. I also tend to choose books where the protagonist is a female.
Marquesa
Favorite Book: A Promised Land
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquesa.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Marquesa »

It depends. At first instance it is the title and the cover that attracts me to take the book into consideration. Sometimes I read reviews and still cannot decide. It also depends on my mood. Sometimes it is the author or popularity of the book.
Sian Versweyveld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sian-versweyveld.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Sian Versweyveld »

I read the description and author info to see if it's interesting or not.
“The mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
Gavin Justin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gavin Justin »

1. Choose a book by your favorite author.
2. Choose a book having topics of your interests.
3. Ask for book recommendations.
4. Read book reviews.
5. Check out the reading list for inspiration.
Thisisme strawberry Esther 2468
Currently Reading:

Post by Thisisme strawberry Esther 2468 »

Go under the genre you love most whether is horror,sci fi or romance.Thus way is Asif you are doing a systematic sampling
Then pick out the ones with the most interesting and thrilling names/title, even if you pick much just compile and get ready for the next sorting which is reviews or comments.
Amy Saunders 2
Favorite Author: Janette Oke
Currently Reading: Mediary
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-saunders-2.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
fav_author_id: 6224

Post by Amy Saunders 2 »

I find my books based on my mood and a cover or title that calls to me. If unsure I read the book description. I have been know to open a book and randomly read a page or two to see if it catches my interest.
Kaitlyn Wadsworth
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Chrome Mountain
Currently Reading: Gularian Islands
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-wadsworth.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kaitlyn Wadsworth »

I will read most things. I love looking for books in 2nd Hand Book shops. I will read books others recommend even requesting them at the library if they are highly recommended by friends or family. When we stay anywhere and books have been left there I will pick up the books and read them while I am there. Sometimes I buy books that are recommended by others. If anyone is giving away books I always say 'Yes," and any I don't want to read I donate to a local 2nd Hand Book Shop. I even donate other books I have acquired that I don't wish to keep. But my home is full of books of all genre's. The books I want to keep. Some of these are books I have bought because I wanted to reread a copy I have read. The topics of non fiction books are often about things that are relevant to my life and interests. Eg Parenting books as I have children.
taylor eplin
Currently Reading:

Post by taylor eplin »

When choosing a book to read I always look to see who the author is and what the story is about. Is it based on a true story? Make sure it’s in the category I know I can get into. Usually when I read the about information I can usually tell if I can get into the story or not.

Return to “Films and Books”