Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Post by melissah30 »

msbarclay wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 11:15 Stephen's King, The Dark Tower series, is one of my all time favorites. The movie on the other hand, was absolutely dreadful.
I came here to say that! Those are my mom's favorite books and she was furious with how bad they ruined the movie. I'm currently reading the series and I have no idea why anyone would try to shove all of those books into one movie.
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

Mortal Engines, the original story is thrilling but the movie had it all of spoilers in its trailer plus, they changed many things from the original story of the book.
Think outside of the books.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The book series is wonderfully poetic and the adventure is beautifully detailed enough to have had me biting my nails with suspense. The characters came alive in those books for me and I was fully invested in their well-beings. The movie fell despicably short of the target. Almost none of the details were kept accurate. Some of the details that were changed, destroyed some of the integrity of the book to uphold 'laws of magic'. The movie was a complete let down and I was glad they made the choice to end it in such a way that if they did not go on to make more movies, it was not left on a cliff-hanger. Regardless of my knowing what would happen in the sequel, I still like things to be completed in their attempt. So, the movie had that to say for itself, but really, nothing else.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

It's not my best book, but it was the worst movie - Under the Skin by Nicci French.
I enjoyed the book a lot, but the film just didn't do it justice, especially because they actually changed the plot! I hate it when that happens.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Brit_Brat852
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brit_Brat852 »

There are several books that were made into the worst movies for instance fifty shades of grey in the novel the characters shows opposite roles . In the novel it was said that Anna fell in love with christen because christen had a dark soul and a bad past (use woman for sex)but in the movie it was show that christen felt in love with Anna first even though Anna was very shy and innocent... In my prepective it was shown that christen fell in love with Anna at first just by the poor acting of christen...
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

This is a TV show rather than movie but.. Magicians. Originally a Lev Grossman series, anybody who read the books must surely be unable to watch the TV show. If you have, then you are surely a stronger person that I am, because I did not enjoy the series at all and was not able to get through the first season because of how far I felt it strayed from the books.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

One of the worst book to movie adaptions I ever watched was beautiful creatures. There are major fight scenes and storyline aspects that are not present in the movie, along with characters who did not represent the description of them in the books at all and as such I would definitely recommend reading the book and skipping the movie.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

Unpopular opinion possibly but...

The Harry Potter series
The Hobbit/LOTR series

All these came from a great series of books which ultimately I felt didn't translate as well to on screen. I feel sorry for people who've only seen the movies and not bothered to read the books because they're really missing out on so much wonderful content. I understand not everything can be adapted and they have to leave stuff out but...eh...I don't know. I just wasn't so keen. Anyone else feel the same way about those series in particular?
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html

Post by becsimpson »

Jordyn177 wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 00:42 I would have to say The Shining by Stephen King. The movie was terrible, but the book was frightening.
Did you ever see that two part full length movie TV adaptation? It was a weird one, but I actually enjoyed it better than the movie with Jack Nicholson. I agree about the adaptation in general though. Left a lot to be desired.
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

Unfortunately, many great books are turned into horrible movies. I loved the Harry Potter movies, but when you compare them to the books they are pretty bad. I agree with Twilight and Kristen Stewart was disappointing as an actress. I love the Stephanie Plum book One for the Money written by Janet Evanovich and the rest of the series of books, but the movie with Katherine Heigl can explain why there was never an additional movie.
ZipIsHere
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zipishere.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by ZipIsHere »

"Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan" I loved the books and was so excited for the movie but they horrible job on it.
In the book, he's 12 but in the movie, he looks 18. In the book, Annabeth is supposed to be a strong woman but they just make her a useless character.
All the characters are supposed to young as 12 but they are all 16-18 in the movie.
Grover is Supposed to be a shy kid but they made him a "lady's man".
They destroyed the whole storyline as well. I was so mad while watching it.
People who don't read books are going to never know about the true book story.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Percy jackson. Dont know what the director and producer were thinking.
Amyra27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyra27.html
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer

Post by Amyra27 »

I have to say Divergent series. The books were great but the movies were just terrible.
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer
-Bookworming-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by -Bookworming- »

The Percy Jackson Series. The movie was a total blunder-_- :?
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Aw, Beverly Clearly's Ramona books did not deserve that movie at all.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida

Return to “Films and Books”