Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Re: Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I'm going to just throw it out there; The Twilight Saga, by Stephanie Meyer. It was actually an okay book; of course there were still the creepy vibes that the girl enjoyed getting stalked by a more than likely homicidal vampire, but nonetheless, she was competent. The actors in the movie were just…unemotional. All the characters did was stare at each other, and it became so irritating I just had to turn it off. The only thing that made the final movie worth watching was the awesome fight sequence, and even then that was all just a dream.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Jennifer Santos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jennifer Santos »

Percy Jackson was awful and also Miss Peregrine was quite weird. The aura of the movie was entirely different from the black and white creepy covered book.
Megan Old
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Megan Old »

There are just so many movie adaptations of books that have disappointed me. But Percy Jackson movie topped that list. I mean, even Rick hates the movie adaptation. That's saying a lot
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

Lol this made me laugh. I haven't watched the Twilight movies yet, and I don't think i will anytime soon because everyone seems to have a negative opinion on the movies. The books are not that that resplendent to be honest. I've read half the series. Twilight was okay but new moon was TERRIBLE! Bella transformed dramatically, and turned into a melodramatic, self-centered freak.
Kuznec
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kuznec »

TheSeelieCourtJester wrote:I'm going to just throw it out there; The Twilight Saga, by Stephanie Meyer. It was actually an okay book; of course there were still the creepy vibes that the girl enjoyed getting stalked by a more than likely homicidal vampire, but nonetheless, she was competent. The actors in the movie were just…unemotional. All the characters did was stare at each other, and it became so irritating I just had to turn it off. The only thing that made the final movie worth watching was the awesome fight sequence, and even then that was all just a dream.
The book was originally intended for teenagers, and not for adults sober-minded people, so make an amendment to the stupidity of the target audience.
Mpimba
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Mpimba »

The Queen of the Damned" by Anne Rice
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

Well, most recently, The Martian. Also, The Girl on the Train. Sigh.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Odiwarobert
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10260">The Message?</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Odiwarobert »

MaryMathis wrote:There are many great books that made bad movies that we have to wonder that how excellent material can be so different in the form of movie. There are many readers have been insist to see the books they love being turned into the poor movie.
Fabian Omondi
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Fabian Omondi »

Truelly the Percy Jackson book was made a disaster in the movie.It was really disappointing
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Jauthor97 »

Eragon was a good book, but the movie was an absolute nightmare! I get super annoyed by the newest version of Pride and Prejudice...they ruined everything. Clothes were not period, the chracter portrayals were off.<--the music and videogrpahy was amazing though.
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
Riptidemom8
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riptidemom8.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Riptidemom8 »

In my opinion all books are better than the movies. The book are more in-depth than movies.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by indubitabubbly »

I would have to agree with Queen of the Damned! I was so excited when I rented the movie and then it was such a let down! Also, I will say the newest Three Musketeers movie was atrocious.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Denise Wallace
Currently Reading: 11:05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denise-wallace.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B01HC0DVM4

Post by Denise Wallace »

MaryMathis wrote:There are many great books that made bad movies that we have to wonder that how excellent material can be so different in the form of movie. There are many readers have been insist to see the books they love being turned into the poor movie.
The absolute worst movie I've ever seen that was adapted from a book was "Atlas Shrugged." I actually rented a blue Bronco to the director at the picture car company I worked for and he asked me how I liked it. I said, "Umm...must've been hard trying to fit that whole book into a movie."
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I could name sooo many! Eragon, Vampire Academy, Percy Jackson... the list goes on. I would say this for 90% of all film adaptions, though (I'm a bit biased towards books). I'd say that the Harry Potter series is my favorite adaption to the films.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
IshiM
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B01HAOZ1YS

Post by IshiM »

Harry Potter Series of course! The books are obviously so much better than the movies. I enjoyed reading the books as a kid and was thrilled that it would be coming out in as a film. But was very disappointed especially with the succeeding films that deviated so much from the books.

Return to “Films and Books”