Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Stella White 47
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-white-47.html

Re: Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Post by Stella White 47 »

Posidon Adventure was a great book, and the movie just didn't have it. There were too many character changes, and things left out that I had wanted to see in the film. I might have enjoyed the film if I had watched it before reading the book. That is a common problem.
Sarah10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah10 »

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this but I thought the Harry Potter movies were a huge letdown compared to how brilliant the books were. The acting of the three main characters was grating and watching the later movies was almost like watching a movie completely disconnected from the books they were so different from what happened in the books. I know a lot of people love those movies and I'm always surprised that I never seem to hear of anyone else with these issues with them.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

Divergent. I don't like the book but I think the movie was terrible. Not to offend anyone but I think that the cast was terrible.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I actually really hated that My Sister's Keeper was made into a movie. When I first saw the movie it was right after I had finished reading the book and I was just so upset that they had changed the ending! I know Jodi Piccoult writes some pretty painful endings, so the only way they could have made it into a family movie that people would enjoy would be to change some things, but the actual ending? How can you change the ENDING. That just really got on my nerves.
Sarah10

Post by Sarah10 »

Aww I really liked Divergent a lot and My Sister's Keeper was pretty good as well :P
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

Ahh, don't even get me started. The Fault in our Stars was pretty bad. They didn't do Divergence justice. Eragon was a complete mess. The Hunger Games wasn't that good. I'm not a big fan of books turned into movies, haven't found many that I like.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

Oh my gosh, don't even get me started on Eragon! It was such a complete disappointment as a movie. And it's one of my favorite books so that made it even worse!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Battlefield Earth. I love the book and was really looking forward to the movie. I was a bit dubious about how they would fit the gigantic novel into the time frame of a movie, but when I saw that John Travolta was starring in it I thought it might be ok. Well, even after the first fifteen minutes you could tell that it was going to be bad, very bad. I struggle to remember a book-movie translation that is anywhere near as bad as this is. :(
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

Bonnie wrote:"The Queen of the Damned" by Anne Rice is definitively up there. The actors where dreadful and the director couldn't concentrate on one aspect of the book long enough, to lend it at least some profoundness.

And then there's "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. The best part of the book is what's happening with the people who didn't travel in time. But the director ignored that part for most of the film.
Agreed. "The Queen of the Damned" was such a good book. It was a shame for the movie to turn out the way it did. I understand directors take certain liberties with films from books but I honestly had no idea what went through the creator's minds. It was bad.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I agree, the Percy Jackson movie was a disaster! But more importantly I agree with the Twilight series... the books were not amazing, but the movies had a chance to make them amazing, and they failed epically
yc123
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 906">percy jackson</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by yc123 »

I was extremely disappointed by the Percy Jackson Movies.

-- 29 May 2017, 18:55 --

I was extremely disappointed by the Percy Jackson Movies.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

All the ones for "The Count of Monte Cristo" I think its the sheer size of the book and with movies only being 120 minutes long it's probably why so many only adapt the revenge part. Though there is so much more which could be added they never seem to want to.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
booklover2004
Currently Reading: Sadie's Highlander
Bookshelf Size: 516
Reading Device: B00D02AHEO

Post by booklover2004 »

I think I have to agree with the Percy Jackson movies. Another one I will agree with was Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice, I loved the book but the movie just didn't do it for me at all. There are a lot of good books that made horrible movies that's why lately I try to watch the movie first then read the book because maybe I wont be so disappointed with the movie that way lol
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. I LOVED THIS BOOK! I was so upset when I saw the movie and I am normally not too picky when it comes to book adaptions. Normally, if there are differences from the book to movie I don't get upset. I understand that people have different points of view and sometimes it is impossible to include every detail from the book. But Ella Enchanted was awful. They changed everything. There was only one similarity, that she had the curse of obedience. Everything else was different, then they had that awkward musical ending. I was destroyed!
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I agree that the twilight movies were awful, but the books were okay. I just think that the casting decisions were way off. I also think that the Eragon movie was awful because it was too short and it skipped the most important elements of the book.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan

Return to “Films and Books”