Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Re: Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

I recall a few films such as the Harry Potter films that are not exactly like the books, which is an impossible task given the limitation of running time and production costs. I'm not really enthralled by the upcoming adaptation of 'On Chesil Beach' by Ian McEwan. The novella was very self contained and emotive so I am not sure it would be well translated onto the screen without some padding out of the story, which appears to be the case from the trailer, but I will reserve judgment for now.
Jordyn177
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jordyn177 »

I would have to say The Shining by Stephen King. The movie was terrible, but the book was frightening.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

One of the most disappointing book to movie moves in the history of film, in my humble opinion, has got to be The Iliad. That book has been hanged, drawn and quartered so many times. The worst offender would have to be the Calvin Klein version with Brad Pitt as Achilles.
meganlehmann90
Currently Reading: Jane Austen 7 Novels
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by meganlehmann90 »

Amii3 wrote: 06 Oct 2014, 23:04 I have to say the Twilight Series. It wasn't the best books but an okay series considering I read it in when I was in the 8th grade. The movies were just AWFUL. Kristen Stewart ( who played Bella) made me want to gouge my eyes out from her horrible acting and shoot myself in the foot for having bought the DVD set.
THIS. Granted, I first read the series when I was 16 a few years before the movies came out, but I loved the books. The first movie was already disappointing with the casting, then halfway through the second movie I just gave up. Kristen Stewart was absolutely horrible as Bella Swan. And I've seen her in other stuff I actually liked her in, for me it was just that she was absolutely not good as Bella.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I thoroughly enjoyed Maze Runner as a book that when they announced they would make a movie, I opted to watch on it's premiere night. Sad to say I was only left disappointed. I haven't watched the sequels because I was too bummed about the first. Too bad, because the book really was brilliant, in my opinion.
Maximum Angel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maximum Angel »

The Percy Jackson movies for sure. I finished the series quickly and was excited to see the movies... until I actually saw it. There are so many things wrong with the movies that didn't even happen in the series. A few things wrong was Annabeth entire appearance, their age, Grover's appearance, THE FACT THEY WERE USING A TABLET, and the fact you need to click Riptide instead of take the cap off.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Inferno by Dan Brown, hands down. (Oo, I did a little rhyme!) The movie changed the basic plot of the book. I actually had to walk out of the theater (though I did make it until the last 10 minutes or so). The entire message was completely changed, which was extremely disappointing. And, I know it is just a little detail, but the book discusses the main females blonde hair multiple times, and the movie had her brunette. I don't know why that bugs me so much, but it does!
msbarclay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msbarclay.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by msbarclay »

Stephen's King, The Dark Tower series, is one of my all time favorites. The movie on the other hand, was absolutely dreadful.
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by lara_haelterman »

Ready Player One, the adapted movie by Steven Spielberg wasn't at all the same as the book. That ruined it for me. Another is The Mortal Instruments which was made into a disappointing movie as well.
Sarah P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sarah P »

The Harry Potter films did not resonate with me. I grew up as the books came out. I remember pre-ordering my books waiting with excitement and impatience for the next book to be released. Barnes and Noble would have huge book release events, and like everyone else I was hooked. Harry Potter offered an escape to another realm for me as a child when I needed it most. It brought magic to my dreary reality, so much so that as a kid I was convinced if I ever took a trip to the United Kingdom I might run into a witch or two.

The films could not measure up to the world I explored with my imagination when I read the books. I felt somewhat betrayed and angry about the films as a kid. However, as an adult they are enjoyable, since I know the film makers did the best they could at the time. But, the thrills and adventures in the books still make my heart flutter when I read them.

Ditto as others have mentioned films that ruined books: The Hobbit(ruined a childhood favorite), Interview with the Vampire (not a fan of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt), Dan Brown books (Tom Hanks really isn't the Robert Langdon I imagined), and The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe.

The truth is to me the book will always reign supreme over film. A few film makers interpretation of books cannot compete with the many imaginations of the readers.
trinitymja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trinitymja.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by trinitymja »

lara_haelterman wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 12:26 Ready Player One, the adapted movie by Steven Spielberg wasn't at all the same as the book. That ruined it for me. Another is The Mortal Instruments which was made into a disappointing movie as well.
I couldn't agree more. I saw the movie, Ready Player One before I read the book. I finally got around to the book here this past week, and now I am glad I saw the movie first. I liked the movie until I read the book. As for the Mortal Instruments, I read the books first, so I was massively disappointed in the movie. Another one.. Divergent. Loved the books, couldn't even finish the first movie :(
IsabellaCD
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabellacd.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by IsabellaCD »

Child of God. James Franco absolutely botched that movie.
Andrea Moran

Post by Andrea Moran »

Perch Jackson. Period.
Fahad haq

Post by Fahad haq »

Yeah u all are right but in my opinion I think death note was an AMAZING NOVEL but the NETFLIX series seriously sucked and I really hated it along with other book series to movies and some of them do not display the REAL purpose of these book and novel so yes this is my opinion about them.
zaenaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130

Post by zaenaria »

Not sure if this applies but Ready Player One! That book is one of my favorites and I have read it several times before the movie came out and...the movie wasn't terrible by itself, but it didn't follow the book AT ALL. There was barely any similarities and they took some of the best parts about the book and completely glossed over them in the movie.

Again, when taken by itself, the movie was okay. But when you compare it to the book, the adaption was kinda horrible.

Return to “Films and Books”